Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Dehydrator, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Sudafed maker cuts meth ingredient
    #3537964 - 12/24/04 02:18 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/12/23/meth.cold.medicine.ap/index.html

Sudafed maker cuts meth ingredient
Thursday, December 23, 2004 Posted: 10:02 AM EST (1502 GMT)

EVANSVILLE, Indiana (AP) -- The maker of Sudafed is offering a new version of the cold and allergy medicine without an ingredient often used to produce the illegal and highly addictive drug methamphetamine in homemade labs.

Pseudoephedrine will be replaced with another substance, phenylephrine, in a new product called Sudafed PE, which will become available Jan. 10 in the United States, Pfizer Inc. spokeswoman Erica Johnson said Wednesday. Pfizer will continue to offer the old Sudafed, too.

Johnson said the new formula will make it easier for consumers to buy the medication and could help curtail meth production.

In many states, pharmacists keep Sudafed and other cold medicines used to make meth behind a counter. Oklahoma requires that such medications be distributed by a pharmacist, a step also being considered in Indiana and other states hit hard by the drug epidemic.

"It's a matter of striking a balance between giving access to legitimate consumers of the medicine and preventing criminals from getting hold of the product to convert it to methamphetamine," Johnson said.

Johnson said the new formula has been sold for years in Europe and has proved safe and effective.

"Anything anybody can do to reduce the use of pseudoephedrine to make meth is a good thing," said Eric Lawrence, program manager for an Indiana State Police unit that searches for clandestine drug laboratories.

Last year, the Drug Enforcement Administration reported that more than 7,000 meth labs were dismantled nationwide.

The drug, a stimulant that can be injected, smoked or swallowed, has grown in popularity in recent years as its use and production have spread from the South and Southwest. It is most prevalent in California and the Midwest.

Indiana State Police expect to have dismantled 1,500 meth labs by the end of the year, up from 1,260 last year and just 27 in 1998.

Jim Braum, a pharmacist at the Oak Hill Pharmacy in Evansville who keeps Sudafed and other cold medicines containing pseudoephedrine behind the counter, said he doubts the new Sudafed formula alone will curb meth production.

"The other pseudoephedrine will still be out there," Braum said.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Sudafed maker cuts meth ingredient [Re: Jim]
    #3537970 - 12/24/04 02:20 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Seems to me, if you are the only company that is going to stop using pseudophedrine in your product, then these 'cooks' will use someone else's product:) Now, instead of curbing meth production, you are losing money. Smooth business move.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

#3538893 - 12/24/04 12:53 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Maybe the guy feels better knowing that his product isn't being used to make such a drug.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Sudafed maker cuts meth ingredient [Re: theocean06]
    #3539744 - 12/24/04 05:47 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

phenylephrine sounds like a precursor to me :smile:

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

Re: Sudafed maker cuts meth ingredient [Re: ZippoZ]
    #3542130 - 12/25/04 02:46 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

99.9% sure that phenylephrine is useless for anything but a stuffy nose.........

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

Offlineacidblue
when soundbecomes colour
 User Gallery
Re: Sudafed maker cuts meth ingredient [Re: DazedSol]
    #3583240 - 01/05/05 09:36 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I would like to also propose a ban on the following items, as they can b e used in the production of meth:

matchbooks, coffee filters, jars, plastic tubes, hot plates, break kleen, batteries, alcohol, salt, drain cleaner, camping fuel, paint thinner, measuring cups, turkey basters, paper towels, funnels, and rubber gloves

thanks

OfflineAsanteA
light your candle on my love
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here - Right Now
    #3583647 - 01/05/05 12:35 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

With phenylephrine (N-Methyl-3,alpha-dihydroxyphenethylamine) Sudafed is effectively neutered where it comes to methamphetamine manufacture, in fact it is closer to our precious PiHKAL family but the route is so insanely inefficient that nobody will bother.
For all you nerds who fled the cools by running into the chemical laboratory here's that 0.1% DazedSol dismissed! (Cheers DS, no offense!)

Phenylephrine --dehydrate--hydrolyse-->
3-HO-Phenylacetaldehyde --amination-->
3-H0-Phenethylamine --quinone oxidation--reduction-->
2,5-Dihydroxyphenethylamine --methylation-->
2,5-dimethoxyphenethylamine (2C-H) --bromination-->
4-bromo-2,5-dimethoxyphenethylamine = 2CB

Nobody will do this (except hobby chemists for their private use perhaps) because it is so insanely inefficient that people with THAT kind of skill rather make Mescaline from green tea!

green tea --extract-->
Tannin --hydrolyse-->
Gallic acid --methylate-->
3,4,5-trimethoxybenzoic acid methyl ester --methylgrignard-->
3,4,5-trimethoxyacetophenone --nitrate-->
beta-nitro-3,4,5-trimethoxyacetophenone --reduce-->
3,4,5-trimethoxyphenethylamine = Mescaline

The point of this otherwise useless excursion is that indeed the meth "cooks" were hard hit, but anyone who knows his chemistry is not the least bit impressed.

Since I strongly dislike the idea of "cooks" making drugs, which should be left to responsible Chemistry people, I cheer this move and give a big  :thumbup: for Sudafed.

Personally I believe Meth is a highly undesirable hard drug which destroys lives and burdens society, but what methamphetamine will now be around in the US will have higher purity because many morons are taken out of the loop. This higher quality Meth will save lives, or rather claim less lives then kitchen Meth.

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :redpill:  :bluepill:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI
PSYCHOSIS, SYNCHRONICITIES, SHAMANISM & THE SUPERNATURAL WA&F

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Sudafed maker cuts meth ingredient [Re: Asante]
    #3583757 - 01/05/05 01:02 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

but what methamphetamine will now be around in the US will have higher purity because many morons are taken out of the loop. This higher quality Meth will save lives, or rather claim less lives then kitchen Meth

Ah yes... I remember people saying the same thing when P2P was listed... it was to be the end of meth production... look what we got instead.  :smile:  Never underestimate the ability for a tweeker to find a way of making a fix.

They should leave the 'cooking' to the pharm companies and let us decide what poisons we want to put in our bodies rather than forcing us to take some and not allowing us to take others.  Insanely stupid drug policies... *sigh*

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Dehydrator, San Pedro

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service