Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Gypsum, Propolis, Rye Grain, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineskinmail
Stranger
Honey water in rice cakes ok?
    #3537078 - 12/23/04 09:11 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hello,
I read somewhere that while making your rice cakes adding a little honey to the mixture will help speed colonization. Is this advisable?

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Onlinebodhisatta
unBODified
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Honey water in rice cakes ok? [Re: skinmail]
    #21569111 - 04/19/15 08:07 PM (2 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

skinmail said:
Hello,
I read somewhere that while making your rice cakes adding a little honey to the mixture will help speed colonization. Is this advisable?

Thanks!

Personally I wouldn't

PF BRF cakes are already very nutritious adding honey dilutes them down. honey is anti fungal but people do use it in LC. I just wouldn't do it.

Regards,
the no post left behind taskforce

Offlineinvitro

Re: Honey water in rice cakes ok? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #21569121 - 04/19/15 08:10 PM (2 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Quote:

skinmail said:
Hello,

Thanks!

Personally I wouldn't

PF BRF cakes are already very nutritious adding honey dilutes them down. honey is anti fungal but people do use it in LC. I just wouldn't do it.

Regards,

That's like saying sugar is anti-fungal, true but only in very high concentrations, otherwise it's extremely pro-fungal.

Onlinebodhisatta
unBODified
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Honey water in rice cakes ok? [Re: invitro]
    #21569276 - 04/19/15 08:57 PM (2 years, 5 days ago)

there's lots of aromatic acids and other compounds that are naturally anti fungal in the propolis that cause the property, not the fact that un-diluted honey has so little water it doesn't support fungal growth easily.

does it effect cubes maybe not but it's not any better than karo syrup and it's more expensive.

Offlinerandoman
KING
Male

Loc: North East side. Flag
    #21569278 - 04/19/15 08:58 PM (2 years, 5 days ago)

:mygoditsfullofstars:

--------------------
The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride. Hunter S. Thompson
The Noob Forum:jah:Getting started:bow2::rockon::rockon:
Wanna Trade?

Offlineinvitro

#21569331 - 04/19/15 09:10 PM (2 years, 5 days ago)

What makes you think honey has propolis in it?

My position is that it does not have any, do you have any evidence to the contrary?

InvisibleStropharis
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21569434 - 04/19/15 09:36 PM (2 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Regards,

:hahthatsrich:

InvisibleTheEaglesGift
The Nagual

Loc: Ixtlan, Mexico
Trusted Cultivator
    #21569525 - 04/19/15 10:04 PM (2 years, 5 days ago)

No it's not like saying sugar is anti-fungal. True honey actually contains anti-fungal properties.

That said, most of the shit honey in the stores isn't actually real honey anyways.

But yes, if you're buying local or real honey, it could theoretically have a negative impact on mycelium growth.

Bee honey/propolis contains anti-fungal/bacterial/viral compounds as a means to seal the hive and keep it contaminant free. Legit local honey often does contain propolis.

Offlineinvitro

Re: Honey water in rice cakes ok? [Re: TheEaglesGift]
    #21569545 - 04/19/15 10:09 PM (2 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

TheEaglesGift said:
No it's not like saying sugar is anti-fungal. True honey actually contains anti-fungal properties.

That said, most of the shit honey in the stores isn't actually real honey anyways.

But yes, if you're buying local or real honey, it could theoretically have a negative impact on mycelium growth.

Bee honey/propolis contains anti-fungal/bacterial/viral compounds as a means to seal the hive and keep it contaminant free. Legit local honey often does contain propolis.

What is it about honey that you are claiming is anti-fungal?  Propolis also? 

Legit local honey often does NOT contain propolis.  What are you basing your statement on?

Edited by invitro (04/19/15 11:21 PM)

OfflineRyeJar
StrangerDanger

Re: Honey water in rice cakes ok? [Re: skinmail]
    #21570192 - 04/20/15 01:34 AM (2 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

skinmail said:
Hello,

Thanks!

It won't speed up colonization.  Keep it simple.  If you want or need to step up your game then go to grain spawn.

OfflineRyeJar
StrangerDanger

#21570203 - 04/20/15 01:39 AM (2 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Quote:

skinmail said:
Hello,

Thanks!

Personally I wouldn't

Regards,

I think the honey would go in the water used to hydrate the cake.  Since water has almost no nutes adding honey would indeed make it 'more nutritious' and not diluted but to what end?  I agree.  Don't use honey.  Adds more variables than need be and brf is plenty bountiful for mycelium.

InvisibleTheEaglesGift
The Nagual

Loc: Ixtlan, Mexico
Trusted Cultivator
    #21570407 - 04/20/15 03:41 AM (2 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

invitro said:
Quote:

TheEaglesGift said:

Legit local honey often does NOT contain propolis.  What are you basing your statement on?

All the local honey in my area is untreated and minimally filtered, it says it contains propolis right on the bottle. :shrug:

OfflineFreeWorldOrder

#21570664 - 04/20/15 08:20 AM (2 years, 5 days ago)

A buddy I've been teaching the basics brought me some "honey" from the dollar store. When I read the label it says "Honey flavored Syrup".

The ingredients are Hi-fructose corn syrup, corn  syrup, & honey (probably not very much)

At any rate I figured I'd try it for agar additive since it was free and was all I had at the moment. It ended up working pretty damn good. Got better growth than when I used some super old karo I found buried in the cupboard...lol.

Offlineinvitro

#21571167 - 04/20/15 12:23 PM (2 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

TheEaglesGift said:
Quote:

invitro said:
Quote:

TheEaglesGift said:

All the local honey in my area is untreated and minimally filtered, it says it contains propolis right on the bottle. :shrug:

It's possible that they intentionally put some propolis into that honey but this is not common practice.  Propolis does not get into the honey as a normal part of honey production for large or small scale honey farmers, I know from first hand experience.  If it doesn't say it has propolis on the bottle it almost certainly does not have any.

OfflineMycologist217
Frank's Disciple
Male User Gallery

Loc: Man of the Moon
    #21571201 - 04/20/15 12:32 PM (2 years, 4 days ago)

I used honey water LC a couple years ago to great effect on the PF tek. Jars colonized in 10 days and had decent pinsets. But bodhisatta said it all in his first post:
Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Quote:

skinmail said:
Hello,

Thanks!

Personally I wouldn't

Regards,

The PF Tek is a pretty precise procedure with a lot of hidden wiggle room, but I don't see a need to alter such a simple recipe as 2:2:1

--------------------
My LC Manual (With custom LC lid Tek) ~~ Required Mycology Supplies ~~ Agar Work Videos ~~ L G M
AMU Q&A-NO SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL! KEEP THAT IN MIND! BUY THE TICKET: TAKE THE RIDE

Mycologist217 is a fictitious entity that uses images supplied by Google to mask his/her inability to develop normal social habits.

OfflineFerather
Eccentric Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: United Kingdom Flag
Re: Honey water in rice cakes ok? [Re: Mycologist217]
    #21571235 - 04/20/15 12:46 PM (2 years, 4 days ago)

I've tried honey LC into rice, smells great looks great doesn't germinate. That rymed.

Try karo or cane sugar LC to rice, starch, fats and sugars are all food to mycelium.
Too much sugar is toxic, WBR doesn't contain much sugars, all starch and a bit of fat.

It could work very well tbh, but you might need to g2g/isolate to it for real results.
Im also working on a similar experiment with sugars + a-z vitamins and minerals.

--------------------
Growing mushrooms (Pocket guide)
--------------------
Substrate water content guide
--------------------
How to use wood toothpicks
--------------------
Cellulose agar alternative
--------------------

Invisible2shoes
The anti-agar
Male

Loc: Not in a SAB Flag
Re: Honey water in rice cakes ok? [Re: Ferather]
    #21571340 - 04/20/15 01:34 PM (2 years, 4 days ago)

Rye flour can be had for cheap instead of rice flourand add a touch of gypsum and coffee... other than that go grains mane!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Gypsum, Propolis, Rye Grain, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation