Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTranceport
Traveler
Loc: Vancouver, BC
Are mushrooms serotonergic?
    #3536297 - 12/23/04 04:51 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I'm just looking for info, so if this has already been covered please direct me to the correct thread.

Do mushrooms cause a serotonergic event in the brain? I have deep, organic euphoria and a sense of well being when I am tripping. Is this from serotonin, or is it from the psychoactives in the mushroom binding to serotonin receptors which causes the same effect?

I know mushrooms are reported to be safe, and from a physical perspective I believe this. That said, are they cross tolerant at all with MDMA? Does they cause any stress on the serotonin system?

I'm really curious because I'm on a break from MDMA and don't want to be doing something that would put any additional stress on my serotonin system. Also, I find the euphoria from mushrooms to be so intense at times that it makes MDMA look like peanuts. Granted, the moments are not for extended periods like an MDMA high.

From my own experience, I'm guessing there is not a massive flood of serotonin because there is effectively no recovery from a mushroom trip. However, I'd like some expert advice/opinion.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Are mushrooms serotonergic? [Re: Tranceport]
    #3536317 - 12/23/04 04:55 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Psilocybin is a sertonergic agonist at 5-HT2 and a few potential other receptor sites. So, yes, it does act on the sertonin system. If you're trying to recover from MDMA, you may want to avoid mushrooms, at least at first, and supplement with many vitamins and 5-HTP, which produces sertonin in the body.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineTranceport
Traveler
Loc: Vancouver, BC
Re: Are mushrooms serotonergic? [Re: dblaney]
    #3536466 - 12/23/04 05:46 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for your post dblaney18. I am not a frequent or heavy user of MDMA. My general rule has been to wait at least two months if not more between uses. The average has probably been around 2.5 months. I have decided to make that average once every three months for 2005.

What I am trying to decide if I should count a trip with psilocybin in the same league as MDMA.

I take a male multi-vitamin with no iron and also supplement with two packs a day of EmergenC and 50mg 5-HTP.

Thanks again for your reply. I was also doing some reading at the MDA FAQ on Bluelight. That gave a bit of insight as to which receptor sites most psychedelics target. It appears that they have less impact on the 5HT1 receptor sites than MDMA.

Edited by Tranceport (12/23/04 07:18 PM)

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Are mushrooms serotonergic? [Re: Tranceport]
    #3536660 - 12/23/04 06:45 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, psilocybin probably should be catagorized differently than MDMA...MDMA causes the secretion of serotonin, whereas psilo acts as a serotonin agonist, attaching to serotonin receptors.

5 shrooms for you for doing research...a lot of people don't even bother researching the most simple of questions.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleIsaacHunt
Stranger
Re: Are mushrooms serotonergic? [Re: dblaney]
    #4392171 - 07/11/05 01:34 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Remember there are people who have taken ecstasy more than a thousand times who still have more serotonin than people who have never taken ecstasy. It's a lot more complicated than just taking E.

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
Re: Are mushrooms serotonergic? [Re: IsaacHunt]
    #4392308 - 07/11/05 02:20 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience