Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBUshroom
Stranger
my setup...advice welcome
    #3535935 - 12/23/04 01:01 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

First off i'd like to say this is my first attempt at growing in fact its my first time putting together a decent fuiting chamber and incubator. I'd like to share what i'm going to do with you guys and then i would really appreciate advice and tips for me. Here goes: (ps. i plan to start off just growing two cakes at a time)

Incubator:
-i have two rubbermaid containers that are translucent and he same size (about 6 inches wide and 15 inches long), i have two water heaters for an aquarium that i will be using in the bottom container filled with water and the other placed on top with the jars inside. then the whole thing covered with towels.

Fruiting Chamber:
-i have another rubbermaid container with colored sides and a translucent top that is about 15x15 and about 15 tall. I have a humidifier that is for a reptile tank and then an air pump with a high and low setting that can support up to a 55 gal tank. I'm going to take the humidifier that has an "air tube" and put it on the bottom of the fruiting chamber and then cover it with 2-2.5 inches of perlite. I will be mounting a humidity gauge and temp gauge on the inside of the fruiting chamber as well. I plan on using about 50ml of hydrogen peroxide in the humidifier to cut down on contamination. I see this being a good starting method because it will keep constant circulation of the air, the combination of perlite and the humidifier should keep the temp and humid. levels where they should be and iwont need to open the chamber much, which also cuts down on contamination.

My one question is should i put some hydrogen peroxide underneath the perlite or is that not necessary? And if i dont will i still need to regularly replace the perlite?

Once again comments and opinions are welcomed!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
Re: my setup...advice welcome [Re: BUshroom]
    #3535970 - 12/23/04 01:13 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Hey whats the model number on that humidifier? I'd like to take a peek at it's specs..

All in all you look like you have a good start. One thing I noticed about building your own stuff is that the more you get bogged down by "the right way" to do it, the less fun you are going to have doing it in the first place. Why not go ahead and set it all up, then throw in a hygrometer to check out the Humidity? In the end, that is the only way you will know how sucessful the environement is, no matter how "good" things sound right now.

As far as your question on peroxide goes, I will let someone with more knowledge answer that.

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

OfflineBUshroom
Stranger
Re: my setup...advice welcome [Re: ADoobie]
    #3536097 - 12/23/04 01:52 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i got the humidifier off of ebay, like i said its for a reptile tank up to 55 gals which should be plenty for me, even for an upgrade. But its a TropicAire reptile humidifier and air exchange thats about it. and i'll be adding a pump that i specifically picked from the same guy with a high/low switch so that i can slow down the air exchange so its not to much.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: my setup...advice welcome [Re: ADoobie]
    #3536101 - 12/23/04 01:53 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Hey BUshroom

Your incubator: Why two heaters? One aquarium is overkill as it is, I have to set mine at about 8 degrees lower then the desired temp to incubate. These things are designed for a minimum of 10 gallons of water, keep in consideration the low volume of water you will be heating in there.

Fruiting Chamber: My advice is to just use the perlite + misting for humidification - rigging up a humidifier to run in a fruiting chamber has always turned out to be a royal mess for me. Fanning with the lid a few times a day induces pinning just fine. But if it works for you, then all the better. How do you plan to maintain temps with this one?

Don't bother putting the peroxide in the perlite. Also, you won't need to change out the perlite that often. Every couple months you can take it out, and bake at 200 for an hour on a cookie tray to recharge it.

Hope this helps,
HD

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineBUshroom
Stranger
Re: my setup...advice welcome [Re: Holydiver]
    #3536146 - 12/23/04 02:05 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

first: i got the two heaters on ebay basically for the price of one, so i'll prob just end up using one and setting it up accordingly.

second: the only reason i choose the humidifier was bc i heard it was LESS messy than using water/misting with perlite but maybe i'm wrong. I think the humidifier keeps at a constant temp so i figured i wouldnt need to bother with it that much just tweak it a bit going off of the readings from the temp and humid. gauge.

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
    #3536164 - 12/23/04 02:10 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I don't see how a humidifier would be less money than perlite. Especially since you're growing just 2 cakes. A $3 bag of perlite would take care of your humidification needs for a long, long time.

Two cakes is very simple, you don't need to overcomplicate things.

--------------------
"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed... The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people..."

President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

OfflineBUshroom
Stranger
Re: my setup...advice welcome [Re: Tantalus]
    #3536176 - 12/23/04 02:14 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

so u think that JUST PERLITE with water on the bottom will be enough humidity for just two cakes?

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3536212 - 12/23/04 02:21 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

yes

still spray the cakes before they pin so they stay moist (not soaked)

--------------------

OfflineBUshroom
Stranger
Re: my setup...advice welcome [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3536217 - 12/23/04 02:22 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i thought u werent supposed to directly spray the cakes at all?

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3536222 - 12/23/04 02:24 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

After they have pinned not. Before, not a problem as long as you use fine mist, and there are no "pools" of water on them.

--------------------

OfflineBUshroom
Stranger
    #3536227 - 12/23/04 02:27 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

alright. so about 2.5 inches of perlite, 3/4 inch of water and like 50ml of hydrogen peroxide will be enough humidity for two cakes (fanning them like twice a day)

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3536237 - 12/23/04 02:31 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Id say fan more often.

I use geolite instead of perlite, I have the water level at 80%. So 3 inch geolite 2,5 inch water.
But thats ME its maybe too much water even.

H2O2 use it 1 part at 10 parts water.

--------------------

OfflineBUshroom
Stranger
    #3536244 - 12/23/04 02:32 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Can i get a link or website for the geolite stuff? is there a reason you use it instead of perlite? maybe less messy.

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3536261 - 12/23/04 02:37 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

less messy! :wink:

I just buy it local at the garden store here its used everywhere for growing weed but also ordinary plants in house & office.

I presume you are american? Then I cant help you, search this site this question psses regular.

--------------------

OfflineBUshroom
Stranger
    #3536269 - 12/23/04 02:39 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

thanks for the info i think i may have seen a link to geolite or something so i'll check it out. thanks.

OfflineBUshroom
Stranger
    #3536321 - 12/23/04 02:56 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i'm stuck with which way i should go:

1. Humidifier and air pump with geolite on the bottom.

2. Air pump with bubble wall on bottom in water with geolite.

3. Geolite, water and H202

money isnt an issure, and the method i use CANNOT be very messy or have to be replace very often. this is why i'm replacing the use of perlite with geolite.

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3536342 - 12/23/04 03:02 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

OfflinePsycAura
think, and bewicked
 User Gallery

Loc: an alternate universe som...
    #3536589 - 12/23/04 04:25 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i just started out to and i decided to do the fruiting chamber with perlite and 2 bubble wands (or u could use air stones). my humidity has been b/w 95 and 99 with a temp around 78 or so (but i am in fl) i soaked the perlite in a h2o and hydrogen peroxide mixture (a 10:1 ratio) then strained the liquid out and laid a layer of the damp perlite over the bubble wands. this has worked great i birthed 2 of my cakes on sat or sunday and have shrooms growing already (i also dunked and cold shocked the cakes) -- the fruiting chamber was quite easy to set up and i dont really do anything to it at all (i mist and spray the top cuz im nervous but the humidity has been fine)

--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain. - Captain Murphy

OfflineBUshroom
Stranger
Re: my setup...advice welcome [Re: PsycAura]
    #3536600 - 12/23/04 04:27 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

is there gonna be a big difference between using the perlite or the geolite, i wanna do the geolite way i guess bc its less messy.

i know this is a newb question but, cold dunked and cold shocked the cakes? hmmmm

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3536815 - 12/23/04 05:39 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

:thumbup: great m8!

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3536822 - 12/23/04 05:40 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

No difference if you see what Magash harvest is from Geolite..... ;P Id vote for that... :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix