Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: The moon, the menstrual cycle, and your mother [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #3554325 - 12/28/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

:grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: The moon, the menstrual cycle, and your mother [Re: Frog]
    #3555473 - 12/29/04 12:25 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I don't think those are outside events.  Those are internal events.  I do believe that the internal workings of one's body, such as you stated, can influence one's menstrual cycle.

we can choose what kind of food we eat, right? different foods engender different bodily states. do you count that as 'internal'? like, the choice of what food I eat originates internally? in a sense, we are all one, I am the universe, fairie majick, and the Moon is an 'internal' event. is that what you mean?

to my way of thinking, the menstrual cycle is the internal event. it is influenced not by internal events, for it is the event in question. instead it is influenced by external events. otherwise it isn't 'influenced' at all. the dividing line between Internal and External is drawn right at the skin, or something. If there's a potato famine and you stop eating food (which comes from the land of External), you die, and you stop menstruating. thus menstruation can be influenced by external events.    :moon:

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: The moon, the menstrual cycle, and your mother [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3555508 - 12/29/04 12:36 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

zekebomb 1
frog -1

Hmmm I guess you cancel eachother out and I win.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#3555516 - 12/29/04 12:38 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Nice try, but no cigar.  :grin: 

I'm not going to "debate" this any further.  I made my opinion known.  I disagree that outside events affect the menstrual cycles of women.  What you posted just now doesn't fall into the category of "outside events", imo.

Mix made a strong appeal, but the study he cited is old, and I don't have much faith in it. 

So, shall we go back to "Is too!", "Is not!"? 

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

#3555535 - 12/29/04 12:42 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Frog said:The author of that article is saying that there are other animals with menstrual cycles that are shorter or longer or spaced further apart or closer together than the menstrual cycle of the human. It is most likely just coincidence that the human is on a 28 day cycle, which is closest to the cycle of the moon, which is actually 29 days.

but it seems like most mammals menstruate only once or twice a year. they go into heat in the spring or whenever, they're 'in season', and if they aren't impregnated they shed the uterine lining out the vagina. does anyone know of any animals other than humans which menstruate more than ten times a year?

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

#3555546 - 12/29/04 12:45 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

What you posted just now doesn't fall into the category of "outside events", imo.

does any thing fall into that category, in your estimation?

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #3555560 - 12/29/04 12:50 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

ummm.... woah woah woah...

easy big gunner

What did I make an appeal to? What did I almost convince you of? I have no idea. All I was doing was repeating my original post: basically that women and the moon are on the same cycle, not 28 days, but 29.5 days. I found a site mentioning a lot of studies that showed that the female cycle is 29.5 days long, same as the moon, that's all. Simple. I wasn't saying that women all ovulate on the new moon or anything silly like that. In fact the link I gave proved that wrong.

But because it's come up, yes, women who live together will experience their periods synching up until they're on the same schedule. This isn't a debatable fringe phenomenon. Until this discussion I thought everybody knew it happened if they hadn't experienced it firsthand by either being a woman and having it happen or being a man and witnessing it (not necessarily visually). You can look it up if you'd like to absorb new information, but I suspect that you, like an innefefctive menstrual pad, are stiff and inflexible, allowing the sweet honey of my knowledge to drip from my orifice (mouth in this case) and run right past you leaving a big red stain that betrays your intellectual innefectiveness to anyone with eyes.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#3555585 - 12/29/04 12:57 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Zekebomb said:
What you posted just now doesn't fall into the category of "outside events", imo.

does any thing fall into that category, in your estimation?

Zeke, win or lose, I could give a fuck. I'm done with this thread. I'm bored. Post some statistics about something, like Mix did. Otherwise, I'm done.

--------------------

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Re: The moon, the menstrual cycle, and your mother [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #3555589 - 12/29/04 01:00 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I guess, since none of us have anything to add to the general niftyness of the 29.5-day 'coincidence', then we are simply obliged to stand back and say, "gee, that is nifty," or just whistle, hands on our hips or arms crossed. I mean, this leaves the realm where the scientific method is relevant. I have many conjectures as to how the Moon may be able to manipulate humans on physical and emotional levels, be it through gravity or moonlight or something far more sinister. but any way you slice it, I feel funny during a full moon

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

#3555592 - 12/29/04 01:01 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

you could give a fuck?

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#3555609 - 12/29/04 01:11 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry, Zeke, I misspoke.  I should have said "I COULDN'T give a fuck."

But Zeke, when at any time during any discussion on this forum did you provide one piece of evidence to support your position that human menstrual cycles are governed by the moon?

Do me a favor, and I'll wait this one out for a couple of day, and show me what you offered as contradicting evidence against what I provided.

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3555646 - 12/29/04 01:36 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

It's not exactly a statistic but my period started on the full moon this week.  :smile:

OfflineDankBluntZ
We know little
Loc: florida
Re: The moon, the menstrual cycle, and your mother [Re: MOTH]
    #3556484 - 12/29/04 07:56 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

<arnold scwarzzenegger voice> nice night for a walk...

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

#3556591 - 12/29/04 08:53 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Frog said:
But Zeke, when at any time during any discussion on this forum did you provide one piece of evidence to support your position that human menstrual cycles are governed by the moon?

Do me a favor, and I'll wait this one out for a couple of day, and show me what you offered as contradicting evidence against what I provided.

well I would but I don't think you'd read it. you don't seem to be able to see anything that you don't agree with. an example of this is when I said "women's cycles can sync up, and that's an example of outside influence" and you said "well I've never had mine sync up with anyone else's, and I have 4 sisters" and I said "but I've talked to lots of women who've said it happened to them" and you said "that's not an example of outside influence"... see what I mean?

and what, pray tell, is my position, other than the fast that the menstrual cycle can change as a result of outside influence? which I've proved the only way I know how, by saying I've talked about it with real live women. would you believe me if I said my name was Dr. Zekebomb et al? I guess I could be lying, but as Mixomatosis so sagely put it, go check out menstrual entrainment. I guess my thing is that I find it interesting how dead set you are (seem to be) against changing your ideas about menstruation, any of them. I could give a fuck too, but we both keep coming back to the thread and posting replies to each other, so we must actually care a bit.

but yeah, by the way, I never said my position is the the human menstrual cycle is governed by the moon. if I must be pinned down here, I will say that I believe the moon to be one factor in a set of outside influences which affect the cycle.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#3556700 - 12/29/04 09:31 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Zekebomb said:
well I would but I don't think you'd read it. you don't seem to be able to see anything that you don't agree with. an example of this is when I said "women's cycles can sync up, and that's an example of outside influence" and you said "well I've never had mine sync up with anyone else's, and I have 4 sisters" and I said "but I've talked to lots of women who've said it happened to them" and you said "that's not an example of outside influence"... see what I mean?

That's not what was said. Go re-read. I said that what goes on inside our bodies is not an example of outside influence. If I experience stress, that stress is working inside my body and may cause me to miss a period. But that outside event that caused the stress in the first place is not what caused me to miss a period.

If I stop eating, it's the effect of the loss of weight that is affecting the cessation of my periods. It's not the outside event such as a famine that caused the cessation of my periods.

Quote:

and what, pray tell, is my position, other than the fast that the menstrual cycle can change as a result of outside influence? which I've proved the only way I know how, by saying I've talked about it with real live women. would you believe me if I said my name was Dr. Zekebomb et al?

I have been coming to Texas 1 weekend a month for almost 2 years. For the first 1 and 1/2 years that I was coming here, his daughter's cat and I were having our "monthlies" at the same exact time. How easy to take this coincidence and say we "synced".

A handful of women to whom you have spoken doesn't exactly qualify as a study. My point in bringing up my sisters is to show that I lived with 4 other women who were bleeding and none of us synced up. My anecdote was not a study, either.

So you say you know women who have, and I say I know women who haven't. It's a draw. In view of the lack of evidence to the contrary, I believe that when women sync their menstrual cycles, it's a coincidence.

Quote:

I guess I could be lying, but as Mixomatosis so sagely put it, go check out menstrual entrainment. I guess my thing is that I find it interesting how dead set you are (seem to be) against changing your ideas about menstruation, any of them. I could give a fuck too, but we both keep coming back to the thread and posting replies to each other, so we must actually care a bit.

I'm not dead set against learning something new. I just don't buy it that menstrual cycles are influenced by the moon. That's what I mean by having a debate over this issue. "Yes it is" "No it isn't" It's like arguing over whether God exists or something. You are entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine.

But don't tell me that you have spoken to some women who claimed that their periods synced up and then expect me to accept that as fool-proof evidence that menstrual cycles are influenced by outside events.

Quote:

but yeah, by the way, I never said my position is the the human menstrual cycle is governed by the moon. if I must be pinned down here, I will say that I believe the moon to be one factor in a set of outside influences which affect the cycle.

Good for you! I don't. I don't believe that the moon influences anything but the tide.

My partner is a retired police officer. He said there were no more or less crazy people on the street on the nights that the moon was full than when it wasn't. He said the full moon just made it easier to see the crazies.

--------------------

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

#3557499 - 12/29/04 01:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

okay

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

#3557527 - 12/29/04 01:44 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

his daughter's cat and I were having our "monthlies" at the same exact time. How easy to take this coincidence and say we "synced".

really? so cats menstruate every month? why didn't somebody tell me? I thought they were twice a year, that's what I heard anyways. can anyone verify either way?

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#3557556 - 12/29/04 01:58 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Well, I don't think cats have menstrual cycles. I think they go into heat. But when this cat is in heat, it meows a lot, as female cats do when they're in heat. And it seemed that whenever I was having my period, the cat was meowing in heat. Was pretty funny.

--------------------

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

#3557578 - 12/29/04 02:10 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

you say you know women who have, and I say I know women who haven't. It's a draw.

some people say they've seen a giraffe. I, however, have never seen one. it's a draw.

and maybe the cat was meowing in reaction to pheremones you were giving off as a result of being in heat yourself. (I think menstruating and being in heat are the same thing, or at least 2 sides of the same coin.)

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

#3557621 - 12/29/04 02:24 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

the following is from http://www.athenainstitute.com/sciencelinks/lunarandmenst.html :

To date, it has been shown that sexual behavior, social effects, as well as nutrition, seasonality, incarceration, and the stress of war, all contribute to the rhythm of the human cycle and subsequent fertility.

all internal factors, right? It seems that frog and I have a different definition of 'internal' and 'external'.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom