Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
It's about time.
    #3535226 - 12/23/04 11:07 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

This law is a good start and should have never been blocked. Let's hope it spreads to other states.

Judge Lifts Block on Arizona Immigrant Law
Wed Dec 22, 2004 09:59 PM ET

By David Schwartz

TUCSON, Ariz. (Reuters) - A federal judge lifted a block on a controversial Arizona law on Wednesday forcing state officials to begin restricting some government benefits to illegal immigrants.

In a ruling from the bench, U.S. District Judge David Bury said he did not believe that opponents would ultimately succeed in challenging the law passed by state voters in the Nov. 2 general election. Bury said no "irreparable harm" would be caused by lifting a temporary restraining order that he had imposed late last month.

The judge, who was appointed by President Bush, had said at the time there were "serious questions" about whether the measure conflicted with federal law.

Attorneys for the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund said the group would go to a federal appeals court to seek a stay of Bury's order.

Arizona's Proposition 200 requires state and local officials to check the immigration status of those applying for certain public benefits. Government workers failing to comply face misdemeanor charges punishable by up to four months in jail and a $750 fine.

The law also requires individuals to prove citizenship when registering to vote and to show proper identification when casting a ballot. That part of the measure must garner U.S. Justice Department approval.

Proponents have said the law came in response to the rising tide of illegal immigrants flowing into Southwestern states from across the U.S.-Mexico border.

Opponents called the new law unconstitutional, wrongly giving immigration powers to the state that should be performed by the federal government.

The legal fight over the measure, which had been opposed by Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano and a range of business and civic leaders, is being closely watched amid the national debate on immigration reform.

"This is going to be a very Merry Christmas," said Kathy McKee, founder and chairwoman of Protect Arizona Now, the driving force behind the initiative. "We never thought there was any question about it being legal, but you just never know."

A leading critic of the new law said the battle was not over. "We're going to be successful," said Alfredo Gutierrez, a former state lawmaker and gubernatorial candidate.

Napolitano issued an executive order directing state agencies to begin implementing the new law.

"We've done a lot of work to prepare for this day, and we're ready to go," said Napolitano, in a prepared statement. "I've asked state agencies to fully comply with Proposition 200, and I have now ordered agencies to perform additional, random checks to make sure that we are doing it right."

She said more than 2,000 state welfare workers have been trained in the new requirements.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: It's about time. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #3535233 - 12/23/04 11:09 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

how can anyone be against something like that?

it's YOUR fucking money they're spending...

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: It's about time. [Re: afoaf]
    #3535237 - 12/23/04 11:10 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

And yet some are. The next step should be to round up the illegals and ship them out.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: It's about time. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #3535412 - 12/23/04 12:49 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

If the illegal aliens are paying taxes they deserve the same benefits a legal resident is entitled. Of course if they don't work and expect a free ride in the US that is wrong.

Is the new law pertaining to unemployed immigrants asking for government benefits?

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: It's about time. [Re: cb9fl]
    #3539465 - 12/24/04 03:25 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I think we should put them in hard labor camps along the border. They can serve their terms by building the wall that will keep them out of my country. You could also legalize a "kill zone" along the border and invite gun toting freedom loving Americans to come and take target practice along the wall.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

InvisibleDieCommie
Re: It's about time. [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3540615 - 12/24/04 11:23 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hey i voted yes on that :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion