Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Living TheMoment

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
Shrooms Family Mental Illness :(
    #3535169 - 12/23/04 10:28 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

HI all, im new to this forum and have a question, my brother and mother both suffer from server mental illnesses, (Schizophrenia and Manic Depression), i have also had a short psycosis resulting from gicing up many substances that i abused regulalry for a long time all at once (including MJ, Valium, and X). My question is with my family history would it be a good idea to try magic mushrooms again, i enjoyed the experience when i ate them a few years ago, although it was tough at the start giving up my ego :rolleyes:. i guess im worried about having an episode again. Any advice is much appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Re: Shrooms Family Mental Illness :( [Re: Sinbad]
    #3535186 - 12/23/04 10:41 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

If you are relatively clean from drugs at the moment, I'd give the shrooms a try. Ultimately only you can decide if your frame of mind and mental wellness is up for the mushroom voyage. I know alot of people (myself included) with various family mental illnesses along the mental lines, and I know that these people can and have worked through these things on their own.

So, reflect on your stage in life at the moment. Are you happy with how things are going? Everything feel alright now? Go for it then. I'd suggest a manageable dose to get back into the groove again, 2-3 grams at first.

To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Living TheMoment

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
Re: Shrooms Family Mental Illness :( [Re: Holydiver]
    #3535210 - 12/23/04 10:55 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, i am feeling ok, things are going well, and there are not many problems happening at the moment, but on my last voyage, the first hour was pretty scary and annoying, as it reminded of the state of psycosis i have expereinced before. this is what concerns me most, saying that i feel relativly stable mentally, and probably will give it another try in the near future, maybe for new year's eve  :laugh:,

Loc: colorado
Re: Shrooms Family Mental Illness :( [Re: Sinbad]
    #3535229 - 12/23/04 11:07 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Here is my two cents...  My mothers side of the family too has a lot of history of mental illness, both manic depression and schizophrenia.  I am an avid mushroom user and have had no problems any time I have tripped both during the trip or afterwards.  Just be careful and I hope your okay, my guess is things will be fine.  :sun:

User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Shrooms Family Mental Illness :( [Re: trippyt303]
    #3540294 - 12/24/04 09:27 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

well i hate to be a naysayer, but there is a theory that psychedelic usage can trigger latent mental illness. you seem to not only have a family history of mental illness, but a personal one. with a background like this (especially the schizophrenia), psychedelics might just not be for you. of course, nobody can say for sure what will happen. but you have to ask yourself if tripping is worth possibly bringing out latent schizophrenia - something that once it starts will never fully go away and will affect you for the rest of your life. if it's ego loss you are after, try meditation, perhaps.

somethings you might want to read:

anyway, i guess the theory is just that - a theory - but i'd do some research before using psychedelics if i had a family history of mental illness.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being