Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinescioto
Stranger
intro&need advice
    #3531077 - 12/22/04 09:22 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hello. I have just discovered this fantastic site and have spent the last 5 hours exploring and learning a lot of new info. I have always been an avid mushroom hunter and have dabbled at cultivation over the years, but have not had the time or space to actively pursue indoor cultivation. I have several guide books and have GGMM. I have assembled a lot of the necessary equipment a P cooker,agar, mason Jars. Hepa filters. I beleive I have everything I need to get started except clean cultures or spores. I have a lot of dried mushrooms in my freezer. Lepiota Rachodes, Hericium ramosum,Cantharellus cibarius, Pleurotus ostreatus(warm weather and was very white and tasty) a few yellow morels and reshi ect. I wish to start my culture library with these, but wonder if it is feasible to start out with dried and frozen wild collected mushrooms. I have read a few post that have given me hope but would like advice on how best to try.(I plan to start out with the Oyster).
My main goal is to inoculate my nearby woods with different strains of the mushrooms I collect ensuring an easier to find harvest of wild mushrooms each year. My Morel patches have kinda petered out over the years and I thought I might seed a few (or a lot) of suitable close by spots.
( Anyone tried to girdle a small elm tree and inoculate with morels?).
I would also like a year round supply of fresh shrooms growing in my basment especially in the winter months. Anyway I thought I would say hi and ask for some advice. Thanks Kevin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: intro&need advice [Re: scioto]
    #3531159 - 12/22/04 09:52 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Welcome to the Shroomery!

There are reports about successful reviving of dried mushroom mycelium, I personally was never able to repeat this though .

As for the species, the easiest to grow outdoors(but also indoors) are the wood loving species like Lentinula edodes and Pleurotus ostreatus. I am sure there are people here willing to send you a agar wedge, or you can buy some cultures at one of out sponsors at reasonable prices.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: intro&need advice [Re: Anno]
    #3531164 - 12/22/04 09:54 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Edited by Anno (12/22/04 10:09 AM)

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #3531198 - 12/22/04 10:02 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I got a dead link, but this may be what Anno intended to show you.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...true#Post266382

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3531223 - 12/22/04 10:09 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

ah, yes....

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3534760 - 12/23/04 03:17 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

welcome scioto!

you have indeed discovered a home from home - this has been my favourite website now for about three years solid. Anno is one of our resident cultivation gurus, so you got off to a great start!

i'd recommend you start really simple, by smearing the gills of fresh mushrooms on newly cut stumps next spring, and meantime have a go at oysters on pasteurised straw (and the pftek - vermiculite and flour sterilised in jars for actives) in the basement.

good luck

--------------------
buh

Offlinescioto
Stranger
Re: intro&need advice [Re: shirley knott]
    #3535051 - 12/23/04 06:50 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks all for the nice welcome. Anno, good info on the morels thanks. My idea is more along the line of Staments "mad Scientist ideal,pg 414 GGMM). I do not have an airplane but certainly access to some nice woods. I also like the approach of planting host trees,apple and hybrid cottonwoods along with inoculation. Sorta a Johny morel-apple seeder. I happen to be into gardening and plant propagation(nuthin illegal since the 80S) and have a small apple orchard, that's produces a small batch of morels each spring. I thought I may try and root propagate my apple trees and transplant to likely spots. Thereby using a proven host with the specific strain of morels included.
Thanks Shirley Knott. I have tried the smearing spore idea without much luck,even sandwiching between log slabs. It did seem to work with wood ears tho. I did plug a few logs with shiitake spawn this spring but has not fruited yet. Perhaps I will bring in one of the smaller logs and soak it a bit and see what happens in the basement? I went to the market yesterday and bought a few oysters to try and clone. I have a good day to play around since I am snowed in here in central Ohio. Thanks Again Kevin

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #3538564 - 12/24/04 09:24 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hell yea scioto I'd like to do the same next year. I hope to clone the first gray morels I find and then have the resulting sclerotia in the ground while I am still finding thick foots. Keep your eye out for brown cup fungi as they often live in the same area as morels, you might end up getting closer to that ideal habitat.

Offlinescioto
Stranger
Re: intro&need advice [Re: YidakiMan]
    #3538934 - 12/24/04 11:05 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Ya I have wanted to try this for many years now. I think the morels that pop up in my orchard are Grey's. Never very big and plenty full, but are my sure sign to hit the woods. Another orchard I use to know of always had the biguns and alot of them. If you or anyone else can spare a wedge or some spores of a Morchella I will reciprocate in the spring with one of mine. I would like to have a supply of mycelium when I hit the woods this April. I sure would like to try and reestablish my spots along with new ones. By the way if anyone is interested I had some blewits in my compost pile last week. If so I can go shovel off the snow and try for a start. I do not like them my self (tastes like dirt imho) but they sure help break down the fall leaves.

OfflinebrainAcid
Bob
Male
    #17479785 - 01/01/13 03:56 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Welcome

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck