Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Uselessness
    #3534808 - 12/23/04 05:58 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Loggers delight in straight-grained, strong, fragrant wood. If the timber is too difficult to cut, too twisted to be made straight, too foul-odored for cabinets, and too spongy for firewood, it is left alone. Useful trees are cut down. Useless ones survive.

The same is true of people. The strong are conscripted. The beautiful are exploited. Those who are too plain to be noticed are the ones who survive. They are left alone and safe.

But what if we ourselves are among such plain persons? Though others may neglect us, we should not think of ourselves as being without value. We must not accept the judgment of others as the measure of our own self-worth. Instead, we should live our lives in simplicity. Surely, we will have flaws, but we must take stock in them according to our own judgment and then use them as a measure of self-improvement. Since we need not expend energy in putting on airs or maintaining a position, we are actually free to cultivate the best parts of our personalities. Thus, to be considered useless is not a reason for despair, but an opportunity. It is the chance to live without interference and to express one's own individuality.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Uselessness [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3534986 - 12/23/04 08:08 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Obviously "usefulness" is in the eye of the beholder...

What makes a person "plain" or "useful"? are we talking looks or intelligence? sporting ability? or a combination (or lack) of all these things?

Why are people who posess these things "cut down" in which way do they not survive as compared to people who do not possess the qualties that make these people "useful" ??

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3535069 - 12/23/04 09:11 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

You could be right, Skorp. However, I am thinking about this.

I think it takes a strong person to survive, regardless of looks, talent, intelligence, etc. A person who is beautiful may be exploited for those looks. However, a person who is plain will possibly be exploited for something else, such as a talent for something.

I'm trying to think of someone who was not beautiful but who did something or created something who was exploited. Not having any luck right now. Anyone? Anyone?

People can be side-tracked by being exploited, or by losing sight of themselves because of allowing themselves to be exploited. The strong will get back on track and stay focused on their objective.

I'm thinking right now of people in high school. I remember the football players and cheerleaders who were all talented and/or gorgeous. But all their focus was on football games and cheerleading and being popular. I remember going to a reunion 5 years later and many of the football players were fat and the cheerleaders were not as attractive as they once were and they all had kids.

Those that weren't popular and attractive in high school were headed into careers. Most of them were finishing college or just getting started on jobs.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Uselessness [Re: Frog]
    #3535146 - 12/23/04 10:09 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

any decision can go any which way.
regardless of genetics, and inspite of decades of conditioning.
a clean start may follow some detatched clarity

often we walk around carrying such a huge bundle of twigs.
an idea might be to put it down!

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Uselessness [Re: Frog]
    #3535278 - 12/23/04 11:34 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I'm trying to think of someone who was not beautiful but who did something or created something who was exploited.

How about the rainman?!  :smile:

Id imagine there are plenty of people who fit the bill!

Hmmm..Elephant man maybe?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleGustavius
Stranger
    #3535462 - 12/23/04 01:08 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

stinky people of the world unite!

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Hand
    #3536591 - 12/23/04 06:25 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

"The same is true of people. The beautiful are exploited."

Actually, from my experience just the opposite it true. The beautiful are given special treatment and if anything are the ones who exploit that.

Here's an example - Dateline or some such show had a segment on this very subject. Actors and actresses, some of whom were attractive and some who were plain or unattractive, "drop" their papers on a busy street.

The results were striking. Many many more people stopped to help the good looking people. It even crossed over gender differences with women helping attractive women and men ignoring plain women. So much for helping a lady in distress....

The same can be said in many situations in real life, jobs, relationships, where the beautiful get preferential treatment.

Or maybe I am confused by what you mean by exploited?

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Offlinesoulmotion
Professor
 User Gallery

Loc: Jumanji
Re: Uselessness [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #3536730 - 12/23/04 07:10 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

If I could zoom out on the topic for a minute, I would have to say that 'usefullness' is relative. Everything has a use-- even the stuff that falls out of a cows anus (p.cubensis fertilizer!) So if you're the kid that didn't 'make the cut' or just didn't measure up to your peers, Walmart will still hire you as a greeter ect. We are, in fact, 'used' by society every day. But now to zoom in and look at 'usefullness' in the context that you described it in, ScorpivoMusterion, I would have to agree that it is much better to be the ugly duckling that is left alone to flourish in the wilderness, than to be a handsome duck hanging upside-down in a chinese resteraunt.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Hand
Re: Uselessness [Re: soulmotion]
    #3536869 - 12/23/04 08:03 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

The ugly duckling is often NOT left alone, but is teased, tormented, ridiculed, and otherwise abused by the pretty people and their groupies.

Plus, is it really better to be ignored than it is to be adored?

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: Uselessness [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #3540195 - 12/24/04 08:46 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Adoration fades, solitude doesn't. You tell me.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology