Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Where Art Meets Crime
Teen sues over Confederate flag prom dress
    #3534126 - 12/23/04 01:21 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Teen sues over Confederate flag prom dress
link

LEXINGTON, Kentucky (AP) -- A teenager is suing her school district for barring her from the prom last spring because she was wearing a dress styled as a large Confederate battle flag.

The lawsuit filed Monday in U.S. District Court claims the Greenup County district and administrators violated Jacqueline Duty's First Amendment right to free speech and her right to celebrate her heritage at predominantly white Russell High School's prom May 1. She also is suing for defamation, false imprisonment and assault.

"Her only dance for her senior prom was on the sidewalk to a song playing on the radio," said her lawyer, Earl-Ray Neal.

Duty, 19, is seeking actual and punitive damages in excess of $50,000.

She said she worked on the design for the dress for four years, though she acknowledged that some might find the Confederate flag offensive.

"Everyone has their own opinion. But that's not mine," she told reporters outside the courthouse. "I'm proud of where I came from and my background."

Duty, now a college student, said school officials told her before the prom not to wear the dress, but she didn't have another one and decided to see if administrators would change their minds.

According to her lawsuit, she was met outside by two police officers and principal Sean Howard. She said the principal intimidated her by striking the vehicle she was in.

School offices were closed Wednesday. Superintendent Ronnie Back did not immediately respond to a call to his home seeking comment.

The Sons of Confederate Veterans has promised to help pay some of her legal expenses.  :eek:

do you think she had the right of freedom of expression?
what does the symolism of the Confederate flag mean to you?
what if the dress displayed the schwastika (sp?) instead?

many people have varying emotions and reactions when seeing the symbol of the confederate flag. many believe it symbolizes southern tradition and history. others feel its a symbol of racism and slavery.

im not southern, so i dont understand the pride inspired by displaying the "rebel" flag. i think it may invoke some tradition of the old south, but many of those traditions include cultural beliefs not held in modern america (much like the chief Wahoo of the Cleveland Indians) and may be inappropriate at public events-- assumeing this was a public H.S.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Edited by MrBump (12/23/04 02:44 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledr_gonz
Re: Teen sues over Confederate flag prom dress [Re: MrBump]
    #3534773 - 12/23/04 05:26 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

"Well saddle up the mules, tuh huh, I gots to get me some ej-u-kation :dumblol: "

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Teen sues over Confederate flag prom dress [Re: dr_gonz]
    #3534799 - 12/23/04 05:47 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

> do you think she had the right of freedom of expression?

In public, yes. At a school function, no.

> what does the symolism of the Confederate flag mean to you?

Absolutely nothing.

> what if the dress displayed the schwastika (sp?) instead?

Again, what she does in public is fine. What is allowed at a school function is up to the school.

Before WWII, the swastika was a symbol of good luck. It didn't become a 'bad symbol' until the Nazi party associated it with genocide (through their actions).

This is actually leads into a facinating topic... who is responsibile for interpreting the meaning of a symbol? If I shout "fuck" at the top of my lungs outside, is this a bad thing? What if I am standing in the middle of Mongolia where nobody speaks English, is it still a bad thing? Is the meaning of the word dictacted by the speaker or by the hearer? Does intent matter? If so, who decides what the intent is, the speaker or the hearer?

I personally feel that people need to get over their fragile little selves and actually live a little bit. Who cares if somebody shouts vulgarities, wears a confederate flag, or a swastika? Until I know the intent of the person, I am assuming their intent based upon my own values. People need to learn to mind their own business, and let me worry about mine. Although what I hear and see sometimes makes me sick, especially when hate and racism are involved, I will do whatever I can to protect the people's right to free speech and expression.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

Re: Teen sues over Confederate flag prom dress [Re: MrBump]
    #3534813 - 12/23/04 06:02 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Blah. Stupid.

The confederacy wasn't about racism.. it was about state's rights.

Hell, slavery was abolished in the south BEFORE the north -- as the north recaptured the south, the slaves were freed, but it wasn't until the 13th Amendment was passed that northern slaves were freed.
1863 was the Emancipation Proclaimation.. 1865 was when the 13th Amendment was ratified.

I mean christ. the dress could have been a tribute to the Dukes of Hazzard.. and the school ruined it. for shame!

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion