Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
New tastes...
    #3530328 - 12/22/04 01:53 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I've recently been listening to alot of Dream Theater and Lacuna Coil. Good bands...does anyone else even heard of either? If not, you should check them out.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
Re: New tastes... [Re: Murex]
    #3530354 - 12/22/04 02:09 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

met the singer from lacuna coil when i was working at one of their concerts, she is a hottie
didn't much care for the tunes, but to each their own

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: New tastes... [Re: Murex]
    #3533183 - 12/22/04 07:52 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

HOLY SHIT! It's MARK MUREX!

Where the hell have you been? I thought you died. :smile:

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Invisiblericochet
Re: New tastes... [Re: Adamist]
    #3533262 - 12/22/04 08:13 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

yeah, Cristina Scabbia is sexy and has a good voice (especially for a female-fronted metal band other than The Gathering who you should definitely check out, Anneke is my favorite female metal vocalist - d/l the album "Nighttime Birds"), but Lacuna Coil are not my thing. I saw them open for Opeth twice and got to talk to her for a bit, really down to earth. I do wish Lacuna Coil would get some credit for their style when Amy Lee of Evanescence very much borrowed Cristina's style to put it lightly or at least a watered down version of her anyway that was more marketable. some people say Evanescence has been around as long as Lacuna Coil, but I don't care enough about either band to really research it.

Dream Theater I've never cared for..I recognize their talent at their instruments, but I'm not usually blown away by overly technical stuff without much emotion.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: New tastes... [Re: Adamist]
    #3533861 - 12/22/04 10:11 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hello Adam, I'm not dead. I just don't really have access to the internet cuz I live out in the middle of nowhere (I hope to move soon).

What's up man?

...anyways, yeah my old roommate (moved here from mass.) got me into Lacuna Coil, and he said he used to date Cristina back in the day.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Invisiblegema
Freedom from the Known

Loc: t(here)
Re: New tastes... [Re: ricochet]
    #3533864 - 12/22/04 10:12 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i have meaning to check out dream theater cause i also heard they were a technical band.

speaking of technical, check out a band called Reflux from washington d.c. Their new album is called "the illusion of democracy." they are real technical and play with a lot of emotion. a good metal band on prosthetic records.

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

Re: New tastes... [Re: gema]
    #3534575 - 12/23/04 01:19 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Dream Theater I've never cared for..I recognize their talent at their instruments, but I'm not usually blown away by overly technical stuff without much emotion.

this is exactly why i like them...never cared much for prog rock, but i can listen to these guys wail all day. portnoy is one of my fav drummers, and one of the best there is or ever was :thumbup: the interplay between the guitar bass and drums is just amazing...technically they are superhuman..you are correct about it lacking emotion though. it's perfect for long drives when i need to stay awake because they are very mentally stimulating to listen to. their live shows are something else, i saw them in concert in chicago and that blew me away. they covered metallica's master of puppets cd in it's entirety for the 2nd set (out of 3) they made metallica look like sissy little girls..played it faster, louder, and harder than hetfield and the gang could ever dream of. i recommend listening to them, if for no other reason than to have your mind warped by the sheer difficulty of the things they pull off. :peace:

Invisiblericochet
Re: New tastes... *DELETED* [Re: Hendostan]
    #3534862 - 12/23/04 04:51 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by ricochet

Reason for deletion: .

Invisiblericochet
    #3534867 - 12/23/04 04:56 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

btw, making Ulrich look like a clown isn't tough.[/jab]

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

#3534887 - 12/23/04 05:17 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ricochet said:
btw, making Ulrich look like a clown isn't tough.[/jab]

:lol: zing! ..i'm a drummer myself and have never been very impressed with lars. i've tought some of my 7th and 8th grade students some of the beats he is doing. it's not easy to learn double bass, i'll give him credit for that, but ease up on it! 16th notes pounding through every song gives me a headache

Invisiblericochet
    #3535005 - 12/23/04 06:17 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by ricochet

Edited by ricochet (12/23/04 06:34 AM)

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

#3535027 - 12/23/04 06:33 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

>by the way, have you ever seen this video of this 12-year-old black kid named Tony Royster, Jr. playing mostly jazz type stuff? it's insane. he completely humbles me and had me in awe. the kid could be a virtuoso. he's about 19 now I think and has some instructional vids (probably his dad trying to milk some money off his talent) and plays a lot of universities doing workshops and stuff. I'll try to track it down if you don't have it or haven't seen it.<

no i've never heard of him, if you can find a copy of that tape i'd be very interested!
you should start up some lessons man, drumming is amazing. the great part about it is, if you have a heartbeat, you have rhythm...no need to have an ear for music or any kind of talent...if you're alive, you can participate in creating rhythm.
for playing set though, getting a basis in jazz technique is key. from what i've seen, drummers who know their jazz are much more solid at any other style. i grew up listening to buddy rich, gene krupa, max roach, art blakey, quincy jones, etc...i'm very proud to be a jazz musician first and part of a rock band second. i've always been really inspired by jimmy chamberlain (smashing pumpkins) who also had a start in jazz..his style is wonderful. it's simple yet perfectly solid and musically fluid. of course portnoy, danny carey, peart, etc are some amazing rock drummers that i admire too.
thanks for the music recommendation in your pm! i will be sure to check it out. i'm always looking for new innovative styles, always in need of another fix :wink: music is my favorite drug.

Invisiblericochet
    #3535038 - 12/23/04 06:39 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by ricochet

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

#3535048 - 12/23/04 06:49 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

nice, get some dave weckl cd's, he's a great fusion drummer...i'm usually not a big fan of fusion, but he is phenomenal. bands like the bad plus and mmw have occupied a lot of my time lately, but i don't consider that fusion...more like psychadelic jazz :tongue2:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale