Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibledoozer
off the deep end
complete failure
    #353305 - 07/11/01 06:47 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

heres a pic of my first attempt. All of them have a purple-red contam, and a few also have a dark green contam. I think putting the jars in the same box I bought them in prolly did it to me. I boiled for an hour and a half. I didn't tape the holes. There was a bit of white chalky goo on the jars when I boiled them. I thought the white stuff was from the flour. Any one else have the white chalky stuff.
I was thinking of using those micron filters. Am I supposed to use them instead of the hole poked caps? Or are those filters just for quart teks? I will pressure cook next time.

Wheres a good place to put the jars once innoculated? I've read the teks, but they didn't seem to tell me where to put them (unless I missed it).

Man what a bummer to lose em all

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepyromaniac
addict
Loc: Oregon
Re: complete failure [Re: doozer]
    #353311 - 07/11/01 07:06 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

That is a truly weird looking contam. Sorry for your loss, it just sucks to be thinking, anticipating, and waiting for the day of harvest and then have something like this happen. Anyway, you don't have to use the filter discs, they are just an extra that is suppose to improve air flow, and thus reduce the colonization time. Did you use the vermiculite layer at the top of the jar?

Support the FSR!

--------------------
I admit it, Im a fungal-feliac :wink:
Support the FSR!

InvisibleGreat_Cthulhu
enthusiast

Loc: R'lyeh
    #353326 - 07/11/01 07:28 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

WTF is that $hit. My aquantince has the same G/D thing in all 12 of the jars he recently birthed.(was my g/d first time) It is purple/pink. The cakes looked O.K. in regards to mycelium growth they just got purple/pink. There was no odd smell at all. When he dunked 2 cakes the water turned PINK. If my aquantince's other 24 jars turn out this way he just might be pissed enough to toss all this crap and give it the hell up. Where did you get the syringe to innoculate BTW?

"That is not dead which may eternal lie..and with strange eons even death may die."

--------------------
"That is not dead which may eternal lie..and with strange eons even death may die."
Vote Great Cthulhu for President. Why vote for a lesser evil?

Invisibledoozer
off the deep end
Re: complete failure [Re: pyromaniac]
    #353328 - 07/11/01 07:34 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Ya, I used the verm on top (bout half an inch). I'm wondering if my verm is too big. I got it from home depot and its in pieces about 1/8 to 3/8 diameter (roughly). I think I've seen pictures of some cakes with very minute vermiculite.
Think my verm is too big?????
I thought those filters gave better flow, thereby increasing colonization speed and so reducing the contam chances.
Has anyone used the filters on 1/2 pints?

Invisibledoozer
off the deep end
Re: complete failure [Re: Great_Cthulhu]
    #353331 - 07/11/01 07:37 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I got it from the chicks GC

Offlinewindex
old hand
    #353335 - 07/11/01 07:43 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

My 12 pint jars were prepaired the same way as you, boiled for 1.5hrs and same type of vermiculite. I used the tinfoil over the top of mine, but these seem to be doing fine, no contaims and the jars are almost 50% colonized after 6 days

my mistake was i forgot all about using plastic lids, some of the wholes rusted so i just didnt inoculate those holes, and ill let those jars sit a bit longer. Also two of the jars ended up with too much water and settled way to much to use. What i did was take one of the settled jars, emptied it, and cut the growing mycelum out of the jars where i couldnt inoculate all four holes and put them in the emptied jar, put an inch of vermiculite on the bottom, and half of that with water, (making a little terrerium for the the chunks i cut out) the chucks took two days to be fully overtaken by the fungus, now im waiting and hopefully ill get a little growth off these chunks...

You approach the turnstiles and know
that when you get there you have to give
the man two dollars or he won't let you
inside but when you get there everything
goes wrong.

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #353340 - 07/11/01 07:50 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

You can use the filters on half pints if you would like. I'm using them 5oz jars right now just to compare colonization times between disks and strait verm layer. Was that white shit your talking about on the inside or outside of the jar? I usually get it on the outside of my jars, mine are hardwater stains from my shitty water, no damage though.

I don't care about jack shit, I just wanna pick my nose!!!
------Jonny Socko

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

InvisibleGreat_Cthulhu
enthusiast

#353345 - 07/11/01 08:09 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

My syringes came from the 'chicks' as well... No it wasn't your vermiculite I used fine grade AND Micron Magick filter discs. What was the strain you got ? ....wondering if it wasn't the g/d syringes. I used Equadorian how about you?

--------------------

Invisibledoozer
off the deep end
    #353381 - 07/11/01 10:19 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

GC-i used the b strain.
There was a post a few weeks ago about the legit of diferent strains. They never really got to the point of that all strains could actually be the same one, but I kinda sensed it. Maybe this is the case with the venders<-----total speculation. Your eq could actually be the same as my b strain.
The chicks, at the time of your purchase, were having problems as you can well remember. Perhaps in thier haste they contamed a few syringes. Remember this is all complete speculation. All I know is that I have 10 bogus jars........ So Sad.........

Jonny: Yes it is on the outside. I was either thinkin it was the flour or some oxidation from the aluminum foil.

Offlinecelsius

#353391 - 07/11/01 10:35 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I got 4 syringes of EQ from the chicks as well.. I have noticed the pinkish and purplish stuff in all my jars as well. One syringe was seriously contaminated (all the jars had green mold) What is this purplish/pink haze? It smells a lil sour as well. I tried to Email the chicks about this problem hoping to get replacement syringes.. they never emailed me back.. the syringes I got from them weren't even dark like from the other vendors. This was a complete waste of my time and money... any luck with you guys?!

- Celsius

Offlinecelsius

#353392 - 07/11/01 10:38 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I got 4 syringes of EQ from the chicks as well.. I have noticed the pinkish and purplish stuff in all my jars as well. One syringe was seriously contaminated (all the jars had green mold) What is this purplish/pink haze? It smells a lil sour as well. I tried to Email the chicks about this problem hoping to get replacement syringes.. they never emailed me back.. ne luck with you guys?!

- Celsius

Offlinecelsius

#353393 - 07/11/01 10:40 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I got 4 syringes of EQ from the chicks as well.. I have noticed the pinkish and purplish stuff in all my jars as well. One syringe was seriously contaminated (all the jars had green mold) What is this purplish/pink haze? It smells a lil sour as well. I tried to Email the chicks about this problem hoping to get replacement syringes.. they never emailed me back.. the syringes I got from them weren't even dark like from the other vendors. This was a complete waste of my time and money... any luck with you guys?!

- Celsius

InvisibleGreat_Cthulhu
enthusiast

#353397 - 07/11/01 10:50 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

There were a couple of people on Mycotopia with the exact same thing as us..I wonder if those were SC syringes as well... I am leaning toward syringe contam over something I did because I followed all the bloody instructions to the letter and even used these filter discs. PLUS the pink $hit first appeared at the innoculation points in the jars and rapidly spread through the rest of the cake when it first appeared(yes flamed the needle between jars too). It doesn't seem to be a mold of some type...has to be a bacteria. It grows on/in the mycelium and BRF itself. The only sign of it being there is the purple/pink color actually. My aquantince is about to go out and dig a grave for these poor unfortunate cakes....ARRRRGH! Can't tell you how annoying this is for a first experience....

--------------------

InvisibleNuShroomPharmerII
old hand

Post deleted by users_request [Re: doozer]
    #353398 - 07/11/01 10:55 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

InvisibleGreat_Cthulhu
enthusiast

Re: complete failure [Re: NuShroomPharmerII]
    #353400 - 07/11/01 11:17 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Doozer used metal lids from what I understand. I used MM filter discs aye...and a few got wet and water slopped into the jars. Those that got wet I threw out...the jars that were innoculated had the dry verm barrier intact. When the jars were birthed there was growth through some of the verm barrier on a few, but it wasn't wet on any of them. I am leaning toward syringe contam. ALL 12 jars(no make that 14 2 were done a few days later and they have the same crap in them) had this stuff and it started around innoculation points after the mycelium had started to grow well.

--------------------

InvisibleNuShroomPharmerII
old hand

Post deleted by users_request [Re: Great_Cthulhu]
    #353404 - 07/11/01 11:45 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

InvisibleGreat_Cthulhu
enthusiast

Re: complete failure [Re: NuShroomPharmerII]
    #353407 - 07/12/01 12:02 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

My aquantince just checked his other jars...12 half pints 12 pints. EVERY GOD DAMN ONE OF THEM HAS THE SAME FRIGGIN THING STARTING AT INNOCULATION POINTS. This makes my head hurt... They were innoculated with a different strain from the same place SporeChicks. When I ordered I got 2 syringes each of EQ and TC these were TC. I'm mad now...LOL...FUCK! Pardon my french. Beginners luck I geuss.... beginners luck to get a 4 week late order...beginners luck to get g/d contaminated syringes. I'm almost positive it's the syringes now. If ANYONE has an idea of something else it might be go ahead and mention it...I think I got SCREWED though. Time to send some emails....

--------------------

Offlinepyromaniac
addict
    #353422 - 07/12/01 12:21 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

If it starts at the innoculation points then the only possible thing it could be is contaminated syringes. I am greatly sorry that you guys have to have this happen. We all know how frustrating contams are, but to happen on all jars, now that just makes you want to give up I'm sure. Maybe if you talk to sporechicks you can get a refund or replacement.

Support the FSR!

--------------------
Support the FSR!

InvisibleGreat_Cthulhu
enthusiast

#353429 - 07/12/01 12:36 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Indeed it does make one wish to give it up totally. What sucks more is the time I waited for these CONTAMINATED syringes. I may give it another try if I can get some CLEAN syringes however. I rather prefer a refund than more syringes possibly contaminated from the same source. I don't know past history of SC and contams in syringes, but this little deal absolutely sucks arse. I've already emailed them about it tonight after checking the other 24 WASTED jars.

--------------------

Offlinepyromaniac
addict
    #353432 - 07/12/01 12:42 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

My opinion would be to buy a print and several syringes from sporeworks. You get the syringes for $1 each if you purchase a print. That is what I did, and ended up with like 10 spore syringes, uncontaminated, for about $30.

Support the FSR!

--------------------
Support the FSR!

InvisibleGreat_Cthulhu
enthusiast

#353453 - 07/12/01 01:44 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I had already ordered 10 sterile syringes from SporeWorks...they got here today(thanks SporeWorks). I was planning on using them for Honey Water however. Since my SC syringes were contaminated I no longer trust my mycelia clouded honey water enough to attempt to use it...could be that same friggin purple/pink bacteria in the water ...even after injecting H202. Not worth my time to attempt it now. I just know I'd see the same g/d pink contam in honey water innoculations since I used an SC EQ syringe to start it.

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
    #353466 - 07/12/01 01:56 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order