Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineerror10
Stranger
What kind of success rate should I be expecting?
    #3529344 - 12/21/04 09:02 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I purchased two spore syringes of tampanensis and used them to inoculate 6 grow-bags. Of the 6 bags, one was contaminated with blue-green mold, so I threw it out. Two have lots of beautiful white mycelium (sp?) growing all over them. The remaining three have no signs of fungoid life whatsoever.

I guess my questions are thus...

Is a less than 50% success rate normal for this sort of thing?

Am I keeping them in the wrong temperature environment? (currently inside a closed cardboard box in a room that varies from 68f to 78f.

I'm a long-time reader, first-time poster. Maybe I'll get over my paranoia and post the pics of the two bags that are looking great.

-E

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroomsbrrr
Frequent visitor
 User Gallery
Re: What kind of success rate should I be expecting? [Re: error10]
    #3529371 - 12/21/04 09:15 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

If you do it right you should have a 100% success rate. Did you shake the syringe? Flame sterilize the needle? Wipe it and the injection point with alcohol? Also as far as the temps go you should be keeping them as close to 86 as possible. Lower then that and it can drastically slow colonization.

Edited by Shroomsbrrr (12/21/04 09:16 PM)

Offlineerror10
Stranger
Re: What kind of success rate should I be expecting? [Re: Shroomsbrrr]
    #3529376 - 12/21/04 09:17 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I shook the syringe very well. I flame sterilized the needle. However I did not wipe the injection point with alcohol. Would that possibly account for my contaminated bag?

-E

** edit**

Ugh...86? I don't have anywhere *that* warm.

Edited by error10 (12/21/04 09:22 PM)

OfflineShroomsbrrr
Frequent visitor
 User Gallery
    #3529388 - 12/21/04 09:21 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

It's possible. Unless the syringe was contamned which it doesn't seem to be if you've got some bags that are growing.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3529392 - 12/21/04 09:25 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

HINT: if syringes are clear, ALWAYS shake the hell out of them - just before innoc. That way spore solution mix is equal, in whatever you inject.

HINT: If injecting bags in open air, keep unsheathed needle wrapped with alc moistened sterile gauze & push needle through moist gauze into bag & extract same way - keeping it wrapped at all times. This minimizes needle expose to open air.

68F leads to VERY slow colonization. Constant 82 / 85F would be much better.

HINT: If you use a heated container to incubate bags in, place open water jar in same container, to keep bags & ambiant RH close to each other. Otherwise, bags can begin to dry out.

My foaf looses about 1... in 20 to 30 bags doing G2G in flowhood. Should be 1... in 50 to 60.... but sometimes he is smoking & haveing a drink while doing so.

--------------------

Offlineerror10
Stranger
Re: What kind of success rate should I be expecting? [Re: Shroomsbrrr]
    #3529423 - 12/21/04 09:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

This is my first project BTW. I took my 2nd trip to Amsterdam this fall and tried the tampanensis while i was there this last time. Needless to say I'm in love.

I chose the mycobags and the tampanensis because it seemed to be the easiest. (no casing, just leave in jars/bags and revisit periodically for 3 to 4 months)

When growing tampanensis this way is it possible to get it to flower and maybe even collect spores?

-E

BTW: Tahnk you everyone for your responses.

Edited by error10 (12/21/04 09:37 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What kind of success rate should I be expecting? [Re: agar]
    #3529935 - 12/21/04 11:27 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:
68F leads to VERY slow colonization. Constant 82 / 85F would be much better.

Are you positive of this for Psilocybe Tampanensis? I had heard that they liked about 10 degrees cooler in both stages...I kept mine about 75 throughout colonizing and I fruited some in that temp..68 however might be a bit low.

I had no success rate when doing bags of Tamps..10 of 10 contamed...out of 96 jars that I've done about 4 were contamed and 3 are looking a little like bacterial at this point.

I would suggest trying out rye berries for tamps for stone production and rye grass for getting fruits. The fruits are incredibly potent..1.5 grams was a good 3-3.5 grams of cubies. I've heard coffee in the rye berries helps stone production but I havnt tried this yet...havnt tried any other substrates either..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What kind of success rate should I be expecting? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3529977 - 12/21/04 11:33 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

You are RIGHT... scat.

Didnt read his post that well & was  :confused:thinking :confused: cubes.

I will give myself 5 demerits & 1 contam :eek:

Sorry dude... did not mean to mislead you.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What kind of success rate should I be expecting? [Re: agar]
    #3529998 - 12/21/04 11:39 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I think you've earned a fub up will all the information you provide :wink:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlineerror10
Stranger
    #3530136 - 12/22/04 12:15 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the info scat. The info I had said 20-25 celcius, but i did the conversion in my head, so i thought maybe i was wrong.

I wonder if the bags contaminate easier because they krinkle and eventually end up with splits? You can only bend plastic so many times before it breaks. I think I'll have to keep my newbie curiosity at bay and stop handling them so much.

I'll post pictures in a week or two.

-E

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3531367 - 12/22/04 11:14 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Its not splits in the bags...any plastic that will run through your PC is STONG enough to handle some movment.

The problem is when you move the bag it pulls in and out air like a bellow. And not wiping the bag where you inject it is a problem...going about it the way agar described is best. I believe that to be the reason for my contams..I didnt wipe off where I injected either. I would definatly suggest working with jars...bags are a great thing to experiment with but don't count on them until your sure you can handle them. Impulse sealers are a bit tricky to get too and if you dont have a good seal then there again that could cause you to pull in contams as you move the bag around.

I missed your info on fruiting them. I highly doubt they'll fruit in the bags invitro...it hasnt happened to me yet with 3 month old jars. You'll need to case a bag by breaking it up and dumping it into the container. I think it needs either the fresh air or the moisture from the casing layer or both to fruit. Probably mainly the air exchange... I was also only able to get the rye grass seed to fruit, not the rye berries...though the casings formed stones quicker then jars. Other then that I just fruited them like usual with my cubies. Oh yeah, make sure the mycelium is older when you case it to fruit it..after colonized from 1-3 months or so then you can case to try and get fruits. I havnt tried, but I've heard the older the myc (up to 6 months) the better it will fruit.

I've been unable to collect spores because the caps open up when they're about a mm across and the shrooms are 2 cm tall but they keep growing. Let me see what sort of pics from them I can find..I had one pretty good flush...its only 8 grams though...thats enough for 6-8 trips though.

Tamps in a sea of cubes:

Fresh stone:

Some of the first jars I did:

Some fruits (the straw is a cubie, not Tamps):

Good luck!

--------------------

Offlineerror10
Stranger
    #3531929 - 12/22/04 01:29 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I guess I should have stated that I'm using the mycobag sclerotia formula bags (I'm a newb). They've got what appears to be little air filters to allow for gas exchange and the injection-point is a soft self-sealing rubber disk.

Thanks again for all the help.

-E

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds