Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGabba
Stranger
Where did i Err?
    #3531744 - 12/22/04 12:43 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

hi guys, any help advice would be great...

...i bought a spawn kit and followed the steps to the "T" but 9 weeks later there has only been a bit of white fluff that has since turned into old white tooth paste.
I took into account that my waiting period could be longer as it is winter here and temp cannot be more than 68-71 degs or i'll go poor in heating bills! (although i put an electric heating pad underneath my big tupperware container this week). And i keep it moist all this time...directions said boil substrate (1hr)..let cool at room temp (3hrs)...substrate into tupperware container pressdown lightly, darkness for 5 days...add soil, starter, a little h2o, spawn...mix, add to substrate....darkness 12 days.....then light for 12 hours/day....."fruiting will then begin/start"...

So nothing for 8 weeks then they recommended 115 ml of hydrogen peroxide sprayed over 'soil'.....surface crackled and turned almost all white, then dissapeared......continued hand-spraying to keep humidity right....is 10 weeks now..

Project kaput or can be saved/wait longer?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: Where did i Err? [Re: Gabba]
    #3531752 - 12/22/04 12:48 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i posted this in your last question but moved it here for you to read
wow there is so many things wrong with your setup. i take it you just ordered the bag and didnt really do much reading up. http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23593 read this and understand it fully. answer this real quick so i can help. are you in the step of fruiting or colonizing? your post is confusing to me. it sounds as if the place you ordered from did not give good directions (wait 12 days, you cant just wait a magic number you have to wait untill its ready) and more. your temps are all screwed up you need 84-86F for colonizing and 74-76F for fruiting. you need high humidity. you need air exchange. but read that tek i gave you.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #3531753 - 12/22/04 12:48 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Not sure, bud. I'm not much on 'kits'. I do have 2 words for ya though...  PF Tek. Can't go wrong with that one. :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3531767 - 12/22/04 12:51 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds like you got a mess.

"Where did I err?"
In buying a kit and not doing enough research. Next time read the FAQ's and do it yourself. Kits are plug and play and if they dont work, your pretty screwed since you didnt do anything to actually learn about what your doing and why..if you start from scratch and you get to the point that your at, you'd know where you went wrong and what you have. However from your instructions and description I can't make heads or tails without a picture. I can tell you the instructions are definatly off and have you doing all sorts of stupid shit...go do some reading in the FAQ section of this website and if you can get some pics up perhaps more help can be offered..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineGabba
Stranger
Re: Where did i Err? [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3531786 - 12/22/04 12:55 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

ok, i understand the problems associated with a kit but...i don't even know what to do now that all is said and done!

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3531794 - 12/22/04 12:56 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

toss it and go buy some jars.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineGabba
Stranger
    #3531800 - 12/22/04 12:59 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

ok, well....what would be the first question u would ask me if i told u i went wrong?

OfflineGabba
Stranger
Re: Where did i Err? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3531804 - 12/22/04 01:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

air exchange?

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3531807 - 12/22/04 01:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

what is your temp, humidity, light cycle, air exchange?

--------------------

OfflineGabba
Stranger
Re: Where did i Err? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3531809 - 12/22/04 01:01 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

would pics be helpful if nothing has grown?

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3531813 - 12/22/04 01:02 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

lemon_lw said:
i posted this in your last question but moved it here for you to read
wow there is so many things wrong with your setup. i take it you just ordered the bag and didnt really do much reading up. http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23593 read this and understand it fully. answer this real quick so i can help. are you in the step of fruiting or colonizing? your post is confusing to me. it sounds as if the place you ordered from did not give good directions (wait 12 days, you cant just wait a magic number you have to wait untill its ready) and more. your temps are all screwed up you need 84-86F for colonizing and 74-76F for fruiting. you need high humidity. you need air exchange. but read that tek i gave you.

--------------------

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3531816 - 12/22/04 01:03 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

pics are always helpful. bu ti think in this case there are to many factors wrong. one of your big problems is the temp. the next big problem is it might be to late, but who knows. thanks for reminding me juice. my first question has been asked a long time ago.

--------------------

Edited by lemon_lw (12/22/04 01:04 PM)

OfflineGabba
Stranger
    #3531824 - 12/22/04 01:04 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

temp is room temp 68-70 (but electic heating pad underneath)(winter here)...humdity has always condensation on lid and sides, light cycle is a 'daylight' through window for like 5-7 hours...what's air exchange?

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3531831 - 12/22/04 01:06 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

air exchange is when you fan your shrooms so they can ge toxygen to grow. your temps are to low and your light is to little, both of these are probably your problem. 74-76F temps if fruiting, 12 hours of light per day untill pins then 6-8 hours of light per day to grow.

--------------------

OfflineGabba
Stranger
    #3531833 - 12/22/04 01:07 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i thought i was past colonizing as some 'fluff' had appeared.....

OfflineGabba
Stranger
    #3531849 - 12/22/04 01:10 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Perhaps i would have had more luck in Summer when temps are better, lol....stoopid Canada!@

OfflineGabba
Stranger
    #3531866 - 12/22/04 01:13 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Does it sound like i even got my subsrate colonized?

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3531867 - 12/22/04 01:13 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Just scrap the kit and read up on PF Tek. Spend a good 2 weeks doing research. You won't have to go far. It's all available here at The Shroomery.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3531879 - 12/22/04 01:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Like I said, I have no idea what to tell you what to do because I'm not sure of what you did.

>I took into account that my waiting period could be longer as it is winter here and temp cannot be more than 68-71 degs or i'll go poor in heating bills!
This alone will slow things down enormously. That also adds your risk of contams..the longer substrate is uncolonized That of course is if your incubating and if you are..you shouldnt be adding moisture.

>And i keep it moist all this time...
Keep what moist? Casing? Do you have substrate? Is it colonized..I dont know if your incubating or fruiting.

>directions said boil substrate (1hr)
What is the substrate? Boil loose? Jars?

>substrate into tupperware container
What??? So you have unsterilized substrate boiled loose in a pan and then just threw it open air into a tupperware container? This is so far wrong and will lead to contams..but I cant tell what you mean by it anyway..

>pressdown lightly
The only substrate that should be pressed down at all is straw..

>darkness for 5 days
This is stupid..darkness the entire colonization time..where they pull 5 days out of I sure as hell dont know

>add soil
soils shit for mushrooms. If its not actual soil and is casing mix, you need to say that..of course whats in it is anyones guess

>starter
I dont know what this is or why your adding it after putting substrate in containers but at this point the whole thing is so screwed you shouldnt even get to this step because we arent talkinga bout growing mushrooms anymore..I dont know what were doing.

>a little h2o
a little h20 how..just pour some in? To what? This mess of a mixture they've instructed you to make? Again, just stupid...

>spawn
spawn from where? Provided? What the hell was the 5 days for if theres no spawn added at that point...makes no sense

>mix
yeah mix shit up..whatever the hell is supposed to be mixed

>add to substrate
you mean the unsterile substrate that had you keep in the dark for 5 days for god knows what reason after you compacted it down (which will only serve to slow growth)

>darkness 12 days
Not 12 days..darkness until fully colonized...time will depend on temperatures and everything else..

>then light for 12 hours/day....."fruiting will then begin/start"...
Theres a hell of alot more to fruiting then that..fruiting is when you give the mushrooms their three pinning triggers..light, fresh air exchange, and a 10 degree temp drop from 86 to 76 degrees. Incubation and fruiting are two very different cycles and environments...

>So nothing for 8 weeks then they recommended 115 ml of hydrogen peroxide sprayed over 'soil'
Diluted or anything? Regaurdless this is NOT going to fix your problem as you can see you have WAY more then a simple fix going on here

>.....surface crackled and turned almost all white, then dissapeared
This could mean cobweb mold, who know what you got here..this is why a pic would help

>continued hand-spraying to keep humidity right..
you need more then just misting for humidity..humidity should be at 99% which youll need perilite or a humidifier for.

Now once again...
Next time read the FAQ's and do it yourself. Kits are plug and play and if they dont work, your pretty screwed since you didnt do anything to actually learn about what your doing and why..if you start from scratch and you get to the point that your at, you'd know where you went wrong and what you have. However from your instructions and description I can't make heads or tails without a picture. I can tell you the instructions are definatly off and have you doing all sorts of stupid shit...go do some reading in the FAQ section of this website and if you can get some pics up perhaps more help can be offered..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineGabba
Stranger
Re: Where did i Err? [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3531883 - 12/22/04 01:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Ok so my 'project' is kinda dead.....i want to learn from this...what can i do to better this the next time i buy a kit?...i do not have the space/privacy to do the PF tek......

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds