Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Ideas on our options for the future anyone?
    #3531676 - 12/22/04 02:22 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I was thinking today of how the existence of the human species on Earth and the different phases it goes through could be compared to a man's life, aka birth development/growth and death.

I wouldn't disagree with this analogy, in fact I'd say were are going through the teenage phase of human existence. In the 60's, we started to get a bit rebellious, and now I feel that we are getting closer to the beginning of human's adult life.

I think we might actually be approaching the time when we will feel the need to detach ourselves from what's been trying to hold us in place for so long, the system. We will want to take total reponsibility of our existence in the universe, just like a teenager approaches a point where he needs to leave his parents, to be independent, and to begin to take responsiblity for himself in society.

And when this happens, the separation between teens and parents can be either smooth or bumpy. Which way to you think human's route will take? The smooth one or the bumpy one?

For human's, the smooth way will require only a 'revolution of the mind', and the bumpy way not only means a necessity of the revolution of the mind, but also a revolution in the streets.

So, although i know my little analogy might hold little water, all this to ask, in which way do YOU think humanity's life will unfold?

Personally, I'd say that given the power that the system detains, its going to be hard for it to give it up. So we're in for a bumpy ride my friends!  :tongue2:

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
Re: Ideas on our options for the future anyone? [Re: exclusive58]
    #3531701 - 12/22/04 02:31 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Great post!

Ken Wilber mentions essentially the same thing in at least one of his books. His work divides human developement into different satges. He also makes the comparison between individual growth and historical growth of mankind as a whole and he places us historically in the 'late teen' years as well!

As for which road we will take, it depends on how you view the universe. If there is an absolute objective reality which exists independently of subjective awareness, then I would say we are in for a bumpy ride. If on the otherhand you see the objective world as an outer expression of your internal will, then the road ahead will be whatever you choose it to be.

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Ideas on our options for the future anyone? [Re: Source]
    #3531759 - 12/22/04 02:49 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

more awake mind and more appreciation of eachother as being free mental physical tentacles of the same creature - universe.
it would be nice if our bodies were less bony so that they would not hurt so much when we grow old too.
sorry, I might have got this thread mixed up with the santa clause request channel.

OfflineDr_Bloothumb
WTFWJD
Male

Loc: IL
    #3531803 - 12/22/04 03:00 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I think that in the same way humanity began, it will end. By that I mean poorly defined.
Consider early man who evolved from something not human (primate ancestor). When did man become man? Was he not human until he reached the level of homosapien? In the same way this line is blurred the end will be, when we eventually become something different. Not necessarily better, but different- more adapted to modern tool use, social interaction, etc.
I don't think any fast human development will be taking place soon. I also don't believe that there is only one "teenage" phase of humanity. The difference in time between now and the 60s is nearly nothing. We really are still teenagers, and when we do "grow up" we will grow old and die and then become like children again, and again...

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Ideas on our options for the future anyone? [Re: Source]
    #3532346 - 12/22/04 05:30 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Ken Wilber huh? I'll have to google that to check his work out ,thanx.

I agree with you with how the future would look like from an absolute objective point of view, but however much I'd like it to be smooth, it is not because of that that it WILL be smooth. It doesn't depend only on my internal will. There are many many more factors that come in play.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Ideas on our options for the future anyone? [Re: Dr_Bloothumb]
    #3532453 - 12/22/04 06:07 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

hey nice response doc, i came up with the same issues, that's why I said the analogy might hold little water. Its like, can you really declare at which time humanity was born?

After thinking a little, I came up with this: What if the moment that animal became human is not a physical event, but rather a psychological one. What if the evolution of homos was triggered not by the body, but by the mind, in the form of a thought that triggered all kinds of biological movement in the body and the brain. What if this particular first "thought pattern" represented the birth of the ego, which itself could represent the birth of humanity, and so humanity's life would have to transcend the ego to commence it's adult life.
I don't know what kind of thought I am talking about could be. Maybe it could be the first time the idea of ownership and property popped up in the mind. Jean-Jacques Rousseau, a famous 18th century french philosopher, said that man was naturally and inhibitly inclined to do good, until the first man that said "this land is mine" showed up, which unleashed a long wave of violence and slavery, which is saddly known as human history. I don't know what the expresion in english is given to that primitve man that was supposively good, but in french its literally the good savage. So then the savage wouldn't be considered an actual human.

I don't know another idea for that trigger thought could be the first time humans became conscious of the fact that they're conscious.
There are many possibilities I'd say, I wouldn't give up on the analogy that easily.

Oh, and when humanity dies, it won't be able to become like children again, and again...Unless the only survivors of its death are a guy and a girl, adam and eve...highly unprobable

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
 User Gallery

Loc: The Hand
    #3533105 - 12/22/04 09:30 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

"We are getting closer to the beginning of human's adult life."

Or closer to the realization of man's childishness...

By that, I mean the culmination of the selfish "Mine" in the name of the rationalization of "bringing democracy and freedom to Iraq".

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Edited by LunarEclipse (12/22/04 09:37 PM)

Offlineoceansize
fuckin' right.

Re: Ideas on our options for the future anyone? [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #3534230 - 12/23/04 01:45 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Ken Wilber also claims he is on a level of enlightenment not reached by the Dali Lama :/

Until 30 years ago this analogy would not have been applicable to any majority of people on earth because our groups are wayy to divergent to say 'humans are in the late teen stage.' There are people on earth that have never seen a radio.

worry about yourselves.

Ken Wilber

--------------------
"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offlineincubaby_421
half naked andfull witted
 User Gallery

Loc: the center of the univers...
Re: Ideas on our options for the future anyone? [Re: oceansize]
    #3534255 - 12/23/04 01:53 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

cosmic yard sale... sell off everything we have left in hopes of starting over and having that styrofoam whathaveyou maybe just one more millimeter to the left so the sun hits it right and we evolve correctly this time......

"i am the spit on the hair of a son of an electron swimming around the nucleus in the sperm of a kiler bee... and my purpose... as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit."-Brandon Boyd(god himself)

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Ideas on our options for the future anyone? [Re: incubaby_421]
    #3539053 - 12/24/04 01:43 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

aiight so far 6 posters on this thread, and the score is:

revolution of the mind: 0
revolution in the streets: 2

OfflinePali_Gap
Stranger
    #3539154 - 12/24/04 02:05 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Many people seem to assume that evolution always leads to a higher more refined state, but in reality evolution is simply adaptation to the environment. Experience shows that its often better to approach things with a mature, professional nature, even if many believe professionalism to be an illusion. Know the true essence.

Edited by Pali_Gap (12/24/04 02:06 PM)

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #3539669 - 12/24/04 05:11 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

gotta quote my favorite lyrics from Pets:

children are innocent
a teenager's fucked up in the head
adults are even more fucked up
and elderlies are like children

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #3539723 - 12/24/04 05:39 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I think that's a really poor analogy you made, and I think using a brief and innefective period of protest as an indicator for the state of the entire human race is really weak. Japan and the USA's student population hardly represents their own countries much less the entire species.

I think you could define an individual nation as being childish or old, but at this point we as a species are not united enough for your theory to be applied yet. Until globalization further breaks down borders and communication barriers, we as a species couldn't be understood on the same terms as an individual. The problem is that the mechanism of our coming together, the process of our type of globalization, destroys the planet, so I wonder if we're going to get a chance to be unified, never mind the process of maturing as a species afterwards.

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Re: Ideas on our options for the future anyone? [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #3539787 - 12/24/04 05:59 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

If one's mind is set on progression, progression it will be.

For if man wants to act like children, we'll have food fights at the table.

If man wants to ever get into outerspace, one must first leave the ground.

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Ideas on our options for the future anyone? [Re: Droz]
    #3539858 - 12/24/04 06:21 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

damn mix, i gotta say, that was a very good post. 5 shrooms to you.

i understand that we've got to be unified for anything to happen afterwards, but its still fun to wonder how things will unfold if we ever do unify.

what if a global revolution unified us? well, for that to happen we'd have to have a common ennemy...corporatism maybe

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3539865 - 12/24/04 06:23 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

"the future, has newer comes"
-unknown :P

(due to some, i mention. you may want to say that is wrong wierd and/or bad English etc., but think about it..? :P )

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Edited by Gomp (12/24/04 06:24 PM)

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
    #3540583 - 12/24/04 11:17 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
what if a global revolution unified us? well, for that to happen we'd have to have a common ennemy...corporatism maybe

yeah man, that'd be so cool... aaaanyways

OfflinePali_Gap
Stranger
Re: Ideas on our options for the future anyone? [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3549479 - 12/27/04 08:27 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

How about investing in corporations to get rich?

InvisibleSHiZNO
-

Re: Ideas on our options for the future anyone? [Re: Pali_Gap]
    #3549534 - 12/27/04 08:35 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

wait, so humans were pre teens throughout our whole history, then the teens were only the 60's ? lol...
if there is any truth to your analogy, we have tens of thousands of years of this teen phase left?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology