Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFungal
Stranger
Loc: Midwest, US
Where to begin?
    #352363 - 07/01/01 08:56 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Where does an aspiring home-mycologist begin...?

- hehe yea i know... pretty vague question. But seriously, i've been snooping around this site awhile and i'm getting an unhealthy interest in fungus.
I want to experience some homegrown hallucinations (screw putting up with shady ass dealers). I want to know where to invest my time and my money (in mycology or botany... thinking bout botany too... but mycology just seems so much more intense!)
I have put a little cash away (i was saving for a vacation... but with mushrooms i could take lots of 'personal' vacations). What will a really good semi fool proof (and not too obnoxious) setup run price wise (something with attention paid to sterile procedure)? i'm talking about starting a hobby, that i plan on sticking with for a good share of my time. I am living with other people who might find this sort of thing... unappealing so low key is good... but i have a fairly large area at my disposal so..eh... who knows? Any ideas...
Where should i be looking/reading? (just some good sites, i know of a few from here already (forest floor, etc.) or maybe some books?)
What should i be buying? (what size aquarium, jars, pressure cooker, humidifier... etc) (who has good prices?)
Is there anywhere in the Midwest where i could meet other growers?
Thanks so much, just for reading this -sorry to be such a spore.

- Fungal

-Can you prove i'm the father?!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
Re: Where to begin? [Re: Fungal]
    #352369 - 07/01/01 09:23 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Mycology is interesting and less detectable than green grows, but there's nothing to stop ya from doing both.

First thing to do is get some spores on the way. You can pick up whatever substrate materials and equipment you need while they're on the way. Edible varieties can be aquired from the grocery store if that's what you're interested in.

To get started, this equipment is recommended (by me):
pressure cooker capable of 15 psi
Jars
Plastic lids for jars (sold seperately, won't rust)
lysol
99% iso alcohol
hydrogen peroxide
rubber gloves
surgical mask
alcohol lamp (easy to construct one)
some nice easy to open/close ziplock bags.
misting bottle
digital thermometer/hygrometer w/ 'external' probe
(help me out folks, what have I forgotten?)

Aside from this, you'll need a clean place to incubate the jars at around 85 degrees. After incubation, a fruiting chamber is needed. This can be as simple as a Sterilite/Rubbermaid/Whatever plastic container with a layer of moist perlite in the bottom. I like to set them upside-down, putting the perlite in the lid. Then air exchange is easier and it's easier to snap pictures w/o touching the culture.

What you need for substrate depends on the species you're growing and the techique you're following. As you buy, though, get 'Organic' products where applicable.

Whatever you decide, understand that many different ways to be successful with this. So long as the mushroom grows, you did it 'right'. As you make your choices, it's not a bad idea to choose what seems most natural or easiest for you. Don't try to force growth, but rather accomodate it and stay out of the way.

If you want to get a book, I'd recommend "The Mushroom Cultivator" by Stamets/Chilton.

Good luck 'spore'. ;)

What gets rewarded, gets done.

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

OfflineNagual
enthusiast

Loc: nyc, USA
    #352372 - 07/01/01 09:29 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

An unhealthy interest in fungus..:D:D:D
I know what you mean man. Im about to start on my
very first grow with an Ecquadorian strain.
Ive been examining every "tek" on this site and others,
getting to understand temperature and humidity
parameters and in general picking up as much info as
my brain can hold. All you really need is some canning
jars, some grain, perlite, hydrogen peroxide, big tupperware terrarium,
spray bottle, etc etc But im starting with a bare bones
setup and it will have only costed me about 25 bucks.
Heres a LINK to a pressure cooker dealer, they range in
price from $25 to $400. :smile:

....___^___
...(_______)
........|.|Free
...__ /../..Spore
...|__ / ......Ring

--------------------
.....___^___
....(_______)
........|...|Free
...__ /.../..Spore
...|___ / .....Ring

OfflineNagual
enthusiast

Loc: nyc, USA
Re: Where to begin? [Re: egghead]
    #352378 - 07/01/01 09:43 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

(help me out folks, what have I forgotten?)

The FSR (Free Spore Ring)has prints for a mere buck, big selection of strains
to choose from too.

....___^___
...(_______)
........|.|Free
...__ /../..Spore
...|__ / ......Ring

--------------------
.....___^___
....(_______)
........|...|Free
...__ /.../..Spore
...|___ / .....Ring

Anonymous

Re: Where to begin? [Re: Nagual]
    #352392 - 07/01/01 10:07 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

You want to learn about mycology? Join your local Mycological Society. Get some id books and start hiking and learning. Growing a magic mushroom in a jar is a long ways from being a mycologist. Thats like saying I'm a doctor cuz I know how to apply a bandage. A true amateur mycologist will have a basic understanding of all mycological issues, not just how to grow or id one specie out of millions.

I suggest you visit the SporeLab where you will find more than just spores and a cash register. Check out the links to Mycological Societies. The Gallery of pics of species other than cubensis. The Agaricus bisporus comnpost mix, the Laccaria laccata properties, the reports on commercial mushroom picking.

There is more to this sport than just the one mushroom!

Take a trip to the Spore Lab @:
http://www.SporeLab.com
email: getspores@sporelab.com

Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
Re: Where to begin? [Re: ]
    #352417 - 07/01/01 10:54 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Max, you are so bad..  You are the pot calling the kettle black.  I've been to the Spore Lab; it's a real nice site w/ lots of great info & pics.  But how come you only sell a few species out of millions? :wink:

What gets rewarded, gets done.

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

OfflineFungal
Stranger
Loc: Midwest, US
    #352681 - 07/01/01 09:16 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks guys! I didn't expect such a warm welcome (more of a 'yer bothering me kid -get outta here!'). I'm definitely gonna pick the book up. As for the jars... i'm as new to canning as i am to mycology... where does one get jars? Would i expect to find these in a grocery store, k-mart, walmart, or is this a science surplus store kinda thing? the maximum area i have to work with is 3 x 3 feet (where i can leave the setup), i'm going to be using a kitchen roughly 30 feet away for sterilization and then transporting them -is that gonna be an issue?
I was hoping to avoid hand misting to minimize contamination -what kinda supplies should i look into? I'm also trying to avoid arousing suspicion, by minimizing when i'm looking at my aspiring shroooms.

I have around 1000 dollars to invest, and i'd like to get a good encouraging harvest, that will only stimulate more interest in the field.
As for only looking at one species... currently my unhealthy interest resides in fugi of the psychoactive variety, but i would be pretty damn pleased if i could farm some morels too! I understand completely what yer saying about mycology being an intense and wide field... but even dealing with one species is a bit intimidating at the moment, so i'm focusing my sights of psychoactive, but not disregarding all others. Mushrooms are just cool! I'm learning all about micro rhizae right now, and i find it really amazing -i had no idea they had such a dramtic impact on plants. Everything is so interconnected... i dunno... hey... i'm just silly
sorry to be such a spore.
-Fungal

--------------------

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #352737 - 07/01/01 10:47 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

You can pick up 1/2pint canning jars from your local wal-mart(Right now they are in the "Seasonal" Isle) Hand misting is not always necessary, a perlite humidication is all you need with a possible fishtank bubbler to aid in air exchange(also found at wal-mart). Transporting the jars 30ft isn't going to pose any sort of issue, especially if you are using the PF method (which I highly reccomend of the begginner). $1000 dollars is more than plenty to start this hobby, maybe $100 is all you need for the basics, probably less. Its best to use a pressure cooker to sterilise and since you have the money you can pick one up at wal-mart,again, for about $50 or do a search on good ol' ebay and find one cheaper.

I live in So. CO so perhaps we could hook up if your not too far away.

I don't care about jack shit, I just wanna pick my nose!!!
------Jonny Socko

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

OfflineChangLee
enthusiast
    #352802 - 07/02/01 12:58 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Great thread, I'm feelin' the love!!

There are so many sucessful ways to grow the shroom, forgive me for sticking to only mine.

KitchenKrafts.com got me those .5 pint jars that are the "squat" kind. They seem to colonize faster, and are more compact. A simple mixture of organic brown-rice flour mixed with distilled water and vermiculite are the only 3 ingredients needed for the growth of The Shroom. The vermiculite was obtained at a HomeDepot, the BRF at a Whole Foods, and the distilled water from a nearby Thom McAnn.

After a pressure cooker sterilized the jarred substrate alluded to above, they were allowed to cool and got a squirt with some spore water from a vendor-supplied syringe. (Golden Teacher rocks).

About a month later the cakes, now solid white through and through, through all dimensions; went into a 10 gallon aquarium from Joe's fish store that also moves a ton of tanks. The tank was $6.99. A cut-to-order glass lid with a cabinet pull affixed by clear silicone was procured from Home Depot for about 10 bucks total--but could've been obtained for about 7 bucks. (I opted for the richman's knob, spherical in all its glory, white and porcelain)

Each day, the cakes were sprayed with distilled water from a spray bottle from Ace Hardware, and the nice glass lid was pulled off, and vigorously waved lengthwise to fan and rid the tank of accumulating C02.

When the fruits came to fruition, they were lovingly laid aloft above the plastic square gridwork of that light diffuser material that sat atop a layer of Damp Rid in a Rubbermaid container that could be used for leftover stroganoff atop buttered noodles.

Afterwards, to come full circle, the dried fruits were snapped into .25" segments, the caps left whole or broken only in half; were placed in one of the very jars used to sterilize the substrate.

Now that I have all the supplies I'll ever need, the cost of each growing cycle (or experiment, as I like to think of them as) is either free, or pennies. I only need to buy vermiculite and brown rice flour. The spores I'll never need to buy again unless I'm pressed to try another strain. I make my own syringes and prints.

It's rewarding as hell, and I can't relay my delight when I see one of those cakes with the 4 shrooms growing in perfect formation, all with the same "curve" yet all somehow parallel in the twist and stance.

The best of all, is a planned night with friends utilizing the fruits of the labor. I'm often heard saying such nonsense as the experience is "food for the soul," or "this is what life's all about."

I hope you gather as much enrichment from the project as I.

The techniques I used were all gathered from reading done on the web. I'd be happy to share the specifics of any task involved. Just ask. Or private mail me.

". . . and I'm searchin' for the latest thing, a break in this routine--I'm talkin' some new kicks; ones like you ain't never seen. . . . "

--------------------
". . . and I'm searchin' for the latest thing, a break in this routine--I'm talkin' some new kicks; ones like you ain't never seen. . . . "

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #352885 - 07/02/01 08:16 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I also advice you to begin with only 2 or 3 (at most) jars, because normally you won't get results at 1st try (some have!!). Sterile techniques and patience are the most important keys to achieve success. Trial and error, trial and error!!

Cheers,
MAIA

__
"Pictures in a box at home
Yellowing and green with mold
So i can barely see your face
Wonder how that color taste"
=)Free&Spread the Spores(=
Support the FSR

Edited by MAIA on 07/02/01 10:18 AM.

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinehongus
somebody
    #352932 - 07/02/01 11:20 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

there is no such thing as a difficult endeavour until you know how it works.
but you need supplies, and basic elements that will let you grow to the scale you want.

in the aspect of sterility, you want to consider the pressure cooker. it really make things a lot better, plus once you get used to using it, you might never want to boil anything again. you can play with any grain substrate you like without fear.

cheap gloveboxes work really nice for tranfers and innoculation.

jars...

big rubbermaid plastic bin.

4+ shoebox-sized plastic bins. for casings.

substrate ingredients

spores....

it really shouldnt be anymore than $50 to get you started with a FULL set of growing supplies... everything you need. nothing you do not. the variable here would be the pressure cooker, but thats why ebay and garage sales exists:)

peace

He somehow manages to breathe in his sepia, wounded-tea liquid ambiance suspension.

--------------------
FOR LEASE: Up to 400 characters signature lot. Single owner. Great commercial opportunity.

OfflineL3D
enthusiast
Re: Where to begin? [Re: hongus]
    #353018 - 07/02/01 03:26 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I have foudn grandparents to have pressure cookers to use. My grand motehr had 3 of them and the other grand ma had 2 seems they were popular a while back might beable to get one from your grand parents and save some $$$ . Tell them you need to sterilize some tools to work with your computer or somethign. thats whar worked for me..

L3D

OfflineGrimace
enthusiast
Loc: Oregon
Re: Where to begin? [Re: L3D]
    #353067 - 07/02/01 06:10 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

It is trully amazing how many new people are getting into growing mushrooms at home. I remember coming on this site 3.5 years ago for the first time(I don't even remember the name I registered under) and most people on had been on for a while and stayed on for a while. It was always the same people answering questions and inquiring about new teks.
It makes me really happy and proud to be a part of something that is really starting to take off. And I mean take off! For those that have been on here for a while, take a look around at al the new faces. It is trully amazing.
Get ready Bushism's....here comes the psychedelic revolution ten fold! Keep it up guys. Fight for what you trully believe in and it will happen. Things are changing so much I get goose bumps just thinking about it.

Grimace

"Is there anyway of knowing........which direction we are going?!! Yes!"
Mr. Wonka

--------------------
"Is there anyway of knowing........which direction we are going?!! Yes!"
Mr. Wonka

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #353126 - 07/02/01 10:11 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

If you've got a reasonable amount of money on hand (and it seems you do) then go first class where it counts:

pressure cooker (All American brand model AA-921 is a good choice)

glove box or flow hood (MANY posts here on how to build a good one, or check e-Bay for good used ones)

"The Mushroom Cultivator" by Stamets and Chilton

A GOOD hygrometer (humidity gauge) that will read accurately to 95 % at the least

Those four things are the basic backbone of a good setup. You will never regret the money you spent on good tools, but you may regret having wasted your money on junky stuff that is a pain to work with. It is true that you can do things on the cheap, but working with quality equipment is just so damn pleasurable!

Even some of the small details make a difference: Pyrex petri dishes are nicer to work with than the disposable ones. Filter disks are great and inexpensive. Plastic autoclavable lids for the jars are preferrable to the rust-prone standard lids. A nicely-balanced scalpel and a good innoculating loop make agar work easier. A good set of scales is a must.

If you get really serious about it, you will eventually want a good microscope, too... not one of those little Tasco jobbies you find in the Toys R Us catalog. E-Bay is the best place to get a decent microscope without breaking the bank.

It is an addictive hobby, no doubt about it.

pinky

--------------------

Offlinerock
Stranger
    #353139 - 07/02/01 11:01 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Is it safe by safe i mean healthy to grow mushrooms in one's own bedroom, inside a closet? I just dont want to get some disease or inhale anything that could get me sick by growing them inside my closet. thanks for the replys

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom