Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCoolDrMoney
Stranger
Any Suggestions?
    #3531008 - 12/22/04 11:01 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Alright I've got 4 cakes that have been in the fruiting chamber for upwards of a month now. They were all cold shocked, dunked and rolled in the begining. 2 weeks ago they were light shocked. Temp it at 71, checked a with thermometer. Humidity is at 95-100%, hygrometer inside. Airstone is underneath perlite as well. 3 of the cakes have knots on them and little white fuzz but only one one side of each cake. That growth has been there for around 3 weeks.

There are also protrusions coming from the cakes. The thinkness of twine and about 1/8th inch long. No head but they do branch out. They've been there for about 2 weeks without further growth.

Can fully colonized cakes die? Should I turn these into casings? If they need more time cool, but a month now?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCoolDrMoney
Stranger
Re: Any Suggestions? [Re: CoolDrMoney]
    #3531034 - 12/22/04 11:11 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

They've also been receiving 12 of light.

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
Re: Any Suggestions? [Re: CoolDrMoney]
    #3531090 - 12/22/04 11:25 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

how long after fully colonized in the jar did you wait untill you dunked it? and i would get that temp up to 74-76F.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Any Suggestions? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3531576 - 12/22/04 01:58 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

A lower temp will slow things down..I'd also get your temps up about 5 degrees. Also your air exchange could be low if you have to much perilite or its to powdery. The PMP works best with hydroton or lavarock..much more air can get from under there. It can work under the perilite but if you didnt first shake out the dust in a strainer and its to wet, or to small, or to packed down, that can affect airflow.

Try putting the wand on top of the perilite (or one under and one on top if you can)..the humidity should stay fine and that should up your air exchange...that will help promote pins.

The thing extending in the air are just arial mycelium, mushrooms don't form from those..they'll form little white balls that look like nerds all over the mycelium right before pinning. If the cake dies, it will smell sour or turn a funny color because its contamed...otherwise it should pin...someday.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation