Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethedude100
Stranger
Serotonin and Mushroom Use
    #3525870 - 12/20/04 10:07 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hey, I'm new to this board and I have recently seen some posts about mushrooms and serotonin. Does anyone know if it would be wise to take mushrooms if there is more than an average amount of serotonin in the brain? Also would having an excess of serotonin have any effects with other drugs?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Loc: Yonder Flag
Re: Serotonin and Mushroom Use [Re: thedude100]
    #3525899 - 12/20/04 10:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

seretonin is your pleasure makers so to speak and the more the better. bring on the seretonin!!

--------------------

:murray:

InvisibleSupernova
Stranger
Male
Re: Serotonin and Mushroom Use [Re: blissedout]
    #3525976 - 12/20/04 10:38 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

bad post sorry.

Edited by Supernova (12/20/04 11:06 PM)

Offlinethedude100
Stranger
Re: Serotonin and Mushroom Use [Re: Supernova]
    #3526079 - 12/20/04 11:03 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry man, I didn't mean to piss anyone off. I'm not exactly sure what your getting at with the brain cell thing- if I should or shouldn't, but I guess I'll take Blissedout's advice and do it anyway.

InvisibleSupernova
Stranger
Male
    #3526087 - 12/20/04 11:05 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I was just fucking with you. Sorry.

As for the brain cell thing, I was being stupid and asking a question that I can't imagine has been asked a thousand times today.

Really, I'm sorry for messing with you. Thanks for coming to the shroomery. Good luck to you in your adventures.

Take a look at some of the other posts on serotonin. Good info.

PEACE

Offlinethedude100
Stranger
Re: Serotonin and Mushroom Use [Re: Supernova]
    #3526097 - 12/20/04 11:09 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yea, its cool man. Thanks.

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
    #3526121 - 12/20/04 11:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Im not sure what you mean...I dont think psilocybin has a direct impact on your serantonin synapses like ecstasy does (which fluches them out)....even if one did have too much serantonin in there brain, this would'nt mean anything unless the synapse gate regualry opened for the receptors to attract the neorotransmitter of serantonin. It might be a possibility that while in the psychadelic blissful state of a mushroom trip, your serantonin will be flowing a little bit more than usual as it would be when you fall in love, go on a roller coaster, have sex...but certainly not as much if you were dosin MDMA. Is this the question you are asking? Has a doctor actaully told you that your brain contains an unusual large amount of serantonin or is this just a random question provoked by curiousity....

Offlinethedude100
Stranger
Re: Serotonin and Mushroom Use [Re: PsillyNilly]
    #3526146 - 12/20/04 11:25 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, the doctor has told me I have an above average amount of serotonin. I don't know much about serotonin, so I just wanted to be cautious about trying different drugs. Making sure I don't have any adverse reactions or anything.

InvisibleSupernova
Stranger
Male
    #3526158 - 12/20/04 11:27 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You'll be fine with excess serotonin, in my unmedical opinion.

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
    #3526159 - 12/20/04 11:28 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

How can you have an above average amount?

Serotonin levels vary greatly from person to person. Supposedly, one person can have a certain amount, and another person can have up to 40 times that amount.

OfflineInnerBeing
Yakuza Boss

Loc: Chinatown
Re: Serotonin and Mushroom Use [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #3526202 - 12/20/04 11:39 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I would get a second opinoin on the serotonin diagnosis. Having an excess amount shouldn't effect things in a negative way. I think that you have a higher potential for some better trips with your suppossed situation. Send some serotonin my way!

--------------------
Kiss the ring Bitch!

Offlinethedude100
Stranger
Re: Serotonin and Mushroom Use [Re: InnerBeing]
    #3526206 - 12/20/04 11:40 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know man. Thats what I was told-that I had more serotonin. And I hope if it does anything, it will make my trip better. Thanks for the information.

OfflineInnerBeing
Yakuza Boss

#3527802 - 12/21/04 12:59 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

hey goodluck man! Welcome to the Shroomery!

--------------------
Kiss the ring Bitch!

OfflineBal0n
Shroomer

Loc: the Netherlands
    #3528060 - 12/21/04 02:03 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

InnerBeing said:
I would get a second opinoin on the serotonin diagnosis. Having an excess amount shouldn't effect things in a negative way. I think that you have a higher potential for some better trips with your suppossed situation. Send some serotonin my way!

isn't serotonin syndrome a bad thing? :P

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the 'Universe' - a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something seperated from the rest - a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
- Albert Einstein

OfflineInnerBeing
Yakuza Boss

Re: Serotonin and Mushroom Use [Re: Bal0n]
    #3528321 - 12/21/04 03:36 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Serotonin syndrome is a very bad thing that can happen if you take an SSRI with another serotonin increasing substance. It can cause you to slip into a coma and death may come....
You should be careful when using serotogenic drugs like MDMA in combination with antideppresants. Mushrooms are not as likely to produce a serotonin increase that is high enough to cause a serotonin sydrome.
Are you taking any medications at present?

--------------------
Kiss the ring Bitch!

Offlinethedude100
Stranger
    #3528460 - 12/21/04 04:20 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

No I do not currently take any medications. I don't really plan on using any anti-depressants or anything. I have heard of serotonin sydnrom but not I'm not sure exactly what it is. What can cause serotonin syndrom?

InvisibleMushie_Man
Fuck Up

Loc: UK
    #3528488 - 12/21/04 04:35 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You know you can be clinically depressed.. well can you be clinically happy? cuz that wud be great  :smile:

--------------------
Ecstacy got me standing next to you
Getting sentimental as fuck spillin' guts to you
We just met
But I think I'm in love with you
But you're on it too
So you tell me you love me too
Wake up in the morning like "yo, what the fuck we do?"

OfflineInnerBeing
Yakuza Boss

Re: Serotonin and Mushroom Use [Re: Mushie_Man]
    #3528780 - 12/21/04 06:09 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Serotonin sydrome is medical complication that is caused by having an abnormally high production of serotonin in an otherwise healthy brain.
"The symptoms of the serotonin syndrome are: euphoria, drowsiness, sustained rapid eye movement, overreaction of the reflexes, rapid muscle contraction and relaxation in the ankle causing abnormal movements of the foot, clumsiness, restlessness, feeling drunk and dizzy, muscle contraction and relaxation in the jaw, sweating, intoxication, muscle twitching, rigidity, high body temperature, mental status changes were frequent (including confusion and hypomania - a "happy drunk" state), shivering, diarrhea, loss of consciousness and death. (The Serotonin Syndrome, AM J PSYCHIATRY, June 1991)

This is a disorder that is almost always caused by combining two serotonin agonists....(which are substances that increase serotonin, versus a serotonin antagonist)....such as SSRI and MAOIs, with MDMA or other agonists. It should be noted that this is highly toxic condition that could result in death.
If you are not taking any medications then I wouldn't worry about it. Besides your doctor saying that "you have a slightly higher serotonin production," is very vague. Exactly what caused him to tell you this? Is there some other condition that you may have that would cause him to investigate your serotonin levels?
When in doubt, it is always best to hold off when doing mushrooms or LSD. Any anxiety that you may have going into the trip will be amplified by a thousand times strength. It is best to know yourself well before hand. Remember to respect your body, mind, soul, and the substance that you are about to ingest.

--------------------
Kiss the ring Bitch!

Edited by InnerBeing (12/21/04 06:11 PM)

OfflineLiQuidSlim
Chillin

Loc: Houston, TX
    #4939479 - 11/15/05 10:00 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

You will be fine, I've heard that your body has more tolerance for shrooms with serotonins.

OfflineOakbear
Trust me, I'm anurse!
Male

Loc: UK
Re: Serotonin and Mushroom Use [Re: LiQuidSlim]
    #4940320 - 11/16/05 02:07 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Lots of half truths on this thread......

Should really get my arse in gear and do that FAQ.....

Serotonin Sydrome (SS) could be more correctly refered to as Serotonin toxicity. It is a collection of symptoms (potentially fatal) caused by excess serotonin (HT) in the synapse, and possibly by over stimulation of receptors.
HT does lots of things, depending on site. It is not just 'the happy chemical'.

SSRIs stop reuptake of HT, thus increasing the amount in the synapse.
MDMA increases HT release, thus increasing the amount in the synapse.
LSD and Psilocybin bind to some HT receptors (notably 2A), which MAY increase serotonin in the synapse due to receptor sites being taken.

OD of SSRIs can cause SS, as can combinations or overdoses of certain other stuff.
There is clear evidence that tricyclic antidepressants, MAOIs, SSRIs, MDMA can individually or in combination cause SS.
Other things which effect HT, potentially could but it is more complex.
The side effect profile of shrooms, the reported lessening of shrooms and a SSRI, along with some theory about their actions suggests caution together.
However there is no specific evidence yet.

Individual normal HT levels, although varying, are unlikely to cause SS with shrooms, as there are natural mechanisms which protect against over production of HT.

--------------------
UK Gathering? http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6108350/an/0/page/0/gonew/1#UNREAD

"I'm no fucking Buddhist, but this is enlightenment"

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies