Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePlok
Life is fractal
Male

Loc: Los Angeles
Pressure cooker disaster
    #3525440 - 12/20/04 07:47 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

So...
I bought a $40 pressure cooker and filled it with a little more than an inch of water, put the jars in, turned up the flame and let it sit for an hour. Then I turned the flame off and waited until it was cool enough to touch. At that point I tried opening it only to find that it would not open. I consulted the manual which informed me that the pressure cooker will not open if there is still pressure inside it. Fine, I thought... so I waited a couple more hours. Still wouldn't open.

Long story short: I had to bang the damn thing open with a hammer, only to find no water inside and several of my jars cracked and falling apart. Apparently at about minute 40 the water had completely evaporated (how the hell did it get out?)

Should I put 2 inches of water in next time? I would only be concerned about water boiling up inside the tin foil and onto the top of the lid (that happened last time, even with only 1 inch of water).

I don't understand what I did wrong and how I should do it right the next time. Anyone have any ideas or comments??

--------------------
Just say NO to the War on Drugs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePawPaw
Picktish TexasStyle....

Loc: was born down in the sout...
Re: Pressure cooker disaster [Re: Plok]
    #3525457 - 12/20/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:(how the hell did it get out?)

Well duh where do you think it went

--------------------
Come to Paw Paws place there will be no sleeping tonight

Eric just wants to catch reds ..
Don?t look back, don?t look back
He?s right on your trail
Don?t look back, don?t look back
He?s just a step away from hell
WDYWFM?

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
    #3525460 - 12/20/04 08:02 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

the water turned into steam which came out the little hole in the top where the jiggler sets. Next time read the directions. you are lucky it ran out of water instead of blowing a hole in your ceiling

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pressure cooker disaster [Re: tahoe]
    #3526337 - 12/21/04 12:25 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Perhaps next time you'll read the manual better and not let it all come out in steam.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineHydroSmurf
Ex-Yakuza
Male

Loc: Tokyo,Japan
Re: Pressure cooker disaster [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3526342 - 12/21/04 12:26 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Add more water.

--------------------
I never supposed for the love of me that it would all be so vivid.

OfflineMajestic
M.I.A.
 User Gallery

Loc: Florence, Oregon
Re: Pressure cooker disaster [Re: tahoe]
    #3526464 - 12/21/04 01:39 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

tahoe said:
... you are lucky it ran out of water instead of blowing a hole in your ceiling

:wink: hahah...

--------------------
"The Oracle at Delphi is quite possibly real...
I watched a documentary on it on Discovery channel."  -Darcho

People will always be tempted to wipe their feet,
on anything with 'welcome' written on it.

:regularshroom:?:regularshroom: "mushroom, what?"
_\ -/_

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: Pressure cooker disaster [Re: Majestic]
    #3526488 - 12/21/04 01:57 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

its happend b4 someONE here !

--------------------

http://www.bruceeisner.com/ -Creating a Sensible Culture

Edited by liveby (12/21/04 01:58 AM)

Invisibleboxtop703
ThesaurusLinguae Graecae
 User Gallery

#3526528 - 12/21/04 02:20 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Plok said:
So...
I bought a $40 pressure cooker and filled it with a little more than an inch of water, put the jars in, turned up the flame and let it sit for an hour. Then I turned the flame off and waited until it was cool enough to touch. At that point I tried opening it only to find that it would not open. I consulted the manual which informed me that the pressure cooker will not open if there is still pressure inside it. Fine, I thought... so I waited a couple more hours. Still wouldn't open.

Long story short: I had to bang the damn thing open with a hammer, only to find no water inside and several of my jars cracked and falling apart. Apparently at about minute 40 the water had completely evaporated (how the hell did it get out?)

Should I put 2 inches of water in next time? I would only be concerned about water boiling up inside the tin foil and onto the top of the lid (that happened last time, even with only 1 inch of water).

I don't understand what I did wrong and how I should do it right the next time. Anyone have any ideas or comments??

1st, get a real pressure cooker, All American's will last a lifetime.

2nd, put oil around the beveled edge which makes for easier opening, use a flathead screwdriver to gently pry if opening remains tough.

3rd, keep the heat just high enough to maintain the pressure but not enough to keep the weight constantly jiggling. If the weight constantly jiggles, you are losing too much water.

The weight should only jiggle 2-4 times a minute.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Pressure cooker disaster [Re: boxtop703]
    #3526553 - 12/21/04 02:44 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

^^^^^^Good Advice^^^^^^^

Although i used a 40 dollar pressure cooker for a long time, with great success, before i upgraded.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pressure cooker disaster [Re: boxtop703]
    #3526560 - 12/21/04 02:49 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I 1100% agree with TLG..... haunt eBay & get an AA. The BIGGER the BETTER. You see AA 915 - 925's go for under $100 on eBay all the time. Best investment you will ever make in your Shroom life. Nothing to do but watch them sterilize things. No seal to replace. No rocker weight, no steam escapes. They are  :heart: :heart: :wink: EBAY

Next - build buy flowhood. Again, you can find great deals on 24X12 inch hepa filters on eBay, CHEAP. If you don't believe, check this out.  EBAY

Pimp Daddy AA
:eek:

--------------------

Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Just ask the rabbit.
Re: Pressure cooker disaster [Re: agar]
    #3526936 - 12/21/04 07:55 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

If no steam escapes, how does it regulate the pressure?

--------------------
Don't panic!

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: Pressure cooker disaster [Re: ticktock]
    #3528196 - 12/21/04 02:47 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The problem might be this...

Once the steam starts to come out, you NEED to reduce the heat until almost no steam comes out. (Steam should not constantly pour out fiercely.) You will know when the setting is right, because you will only see steam rise, not blow, out of the vent.

If the steam stops, then you are at, or lower then the valves pressure. (Turn the heat back up a little.)

For example, my cooker (T-Fel Sensor-2 Pressure cooker)...
1. Turn heat on high with lid off. (It is an all stainless steel pan, it takes a while to heat up.)
2. Wait until water starts to steam.
3. Add jars, and remove excess water with a turkey baster, add water if there isn't enough to cover one finger width of the bottom of the jars.
4. Put cover on, and wait for the safety valve to close. (Mine won't try to pressureize until the water is boiling enough to pop up the initial safety seal.)
5. Wait for steam to pour out of the pressure vent.
6. When steam starts to furiously pour out, I reduce my heat to 25%, Med-Low, Simmer, (3 out of 1-10)... depending on your heat setting descriptions.
7. The vent now slowly starts to reduce to a slow trickle of steam. You are now at your desired pressure... actuall a little above, which is why steam is still exiting. (Lower will make the vent close.) You can drop the temp more until it totally stops, then raise up a little at a time. You can find the ideal setting that way. (Ultimately, it will depend on your room temprature, how fast the pot cools.

You should set your timer from the point that the heat is reduced. EG, you don't count the BUILD-UP time that it took your pressure cooker to build up pressure.

When you are done, 60-120 min later... Turn the heat off all the way, and let it sit under pressure for 16-24 hours... (Even after 24 hours, mine is still luke warm!)

By the way, you may have destroyed your seal... (You melted it?!?) Consult your manual. Most pressure cookers NEED 1/3-1/4 water in the pot. All glass should be suspended off the bottom, by more than a piece of paper towel... (Seen suggested in a TEK, bad idea!), use a wire "Hot-Plate", that they sell at almost any store, or use a "Burner-Cover" plate, with holes punched into it, so air from boiling can get out.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3528451 - 12/21/04 04:16 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

An ALL AMERICAN PRESSURE COOKER doesn?t regulate the pressure. YOU DO?.. :wink: heating it up, pressure builds to the desired point (15 or 16 PSI) - then you turn the heat down to the degree pressure stops building & it maintains the desired PSI.

A safety mechanism will allow steam to escape, if pressure gets in the  :eek:DANGER ZONE :eek:. The same safety mechanism toggle can be tripped MANUALY to bleed pressure any time you want.

--------------------

Edited by agar (12/21/04 04:23 PM)

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
    #3528905 - 12/21/04 06:49 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I like that... That will be my next toy... (I got my pot for $50.00 New, because it had an open box! Originally $100.00, not sure if it actually sold for that price!)

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

#3528996 - 12/21/04 07:19 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Ok. With my old mirro, I turn the heat on and walk away. When it starts making a racket, I come back and turn it down, then walk away again. If the heat is too high or too low, I can hear it from anywhere in my apartment.

So, with the All American I'd have to stay with it and watch the gage?
That doesn't seem like an advantage. What am I missing?

--------------------
Don't panic!

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3529158 - 12/21/04 07:58 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

With AA PC no steam escapes = no whistle noise = no weight to fool with = no water loss = no funny smells in house = no seal to go bad & yes...... you have to watch it....now & then..... to insure it stays in right PSI range.

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3529167 - 12/21/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Depends on the model.
My (new) 921 has a rocker.

Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

#3529280 - 12/21/04 08:44 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:
With AA PC no steam escapes = no whistle noise = no weight to fool with = no water loss = no funny smells in house = no seal to go bad & yes...... you have to watch it....now & then..... to insure it stays in right PSI range.

Hmm. My Mirro 22 Qt pressure canner has been in active service for about 30 years now. I just paid about $12 for my first replacement gasket. I've run it for over 2 hours when canning meat, without running out of water. It does smell like green beans, or spiced beets, or pickles sometimes. Now days it sometimes smells like rice.

As for that noise, I grew up with it. Fffft...Fffft...Fffft means all is well. With the All American, all would be silent until I forgot to keep a vigil, until that overpressure valve blew. That could cause some stubborn laundry stains  :blush:

To each his own I guess. The AA looks like a really well built machine, and the pressure gage is a plus. Thanks for filling me in on the pressure regulation.

--------------------
Don't panic!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3529828 - 12/21/04 11:03 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

That release valve he pictured..you will hear steam comming from it if the pressure gets to high. Thats how I listen for my PC too...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#16251302 - 05/18/12 06:48 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Plok said:
So...
I bought a $40 pressure cooker and filled it with a little more than an inch of water, put the jars in, turned up the flame and let it sit for an hour.  Then I turned the flame off and waited until it was cool enough to touch.  At that point I tried opening it only to find that it would not open.  I consulted the manual which informed me that the pressure cooker will not open if there is still pressure inside it.  Fine, I thought... so I waited a couple more hours.  Still wouldn't open.

Long story short:  I had to bang the damn thing open with a hammer, only to find no water inside and several of my jars cracked and falling apart.  Apparently at about minute 40 the water had completely evaporated (how the hell did it get out?)

I don't understand what I did wrong and how I should do it right the next time.  Anyone have any ideas or comments??

one of the silliest questions I've seen yet.
'all this weird gas stuff came out of my pc, and now all the water is gone. WTF?!'

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates