Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKracker
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: midwest us
My new San Pedro with pics!!
    #3524882 - 12/20/04 04:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I just planted my new Pedro what do you think?

Edited by Kracker (12/20/04 05:19 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My new San Pedro [Re: Kracker]
    #3524938 - 12/20/04 04:36 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

from www.basementshaman.com
"
GROWING GUIDE -padCactus Care Basics

Unpack your cacti as soon as possible. Any specimens shipped with bare roots should be potted up in an appropriate size container (see below for tips on soil mixes and containers). Place your new arrivals in an area which receives bright filtered light. They will require a week or two to get acclimated to their new home, and you should avoid placing them in direct sunlight for the first few days. After this time you may gradually introduce them to more intense light and give them their first drink of water.

BASIC SOIL MIX --- Most commercial cactus mixes work well, but you can easily make your own superior quality mix. A good general purpose formula combines equal parts organic material, coarse river sand (don?t use beach sand), and porous organic material. For the organic material you can use any number of components such peat moss, a quality potting mix, coconut coir, etc. We?ve found a mixture made from equal parts peat moss, leaf mold (well decayed leaves) or compost, ground fir bark and healthy garden soil works very well. The porous organic material can be perlite or agricultural pumice. Another alternate formula combines 2 parts perlite or pumice to one part organic material. Remember, these are just general recipes, and you can improvise your own mix depending upon locally available materials. What?s most important is that your mixture provides excellent drainage.

CONTAINER --- Always use a pot with a drain hole. Be conservative when sizing your pot; a larger pot is not necessarily better when it comes to cacti. A general rule of thumb is to choose a pot sized approximately 1? larger in diameter than the cactus it will contain. Unglazed clay pots are recommended for those inexperienced with cacti. Their inherent porosity provides some extra insurance against overwatering. Plastic pots are fine, but require more careful attention to watering. After planting your cactus , it?s a good idea to top the mix with 1/4? to 1/2? of fine gravel. This topdressing will help prevent stem rot and it discourages algae growth.

WATERING --- Overwatering is probably the single most popular way to smother your cactus to death. A few simple rules will help ensure your relationship with your plant is long lived. Don?t water a cactus if the potting mixture is damp. Always allow the soil to dry out completely before you even think of watering again. Water early in the day so the top of the soil has a chance to dry a bit before evening. It?s best to water when you know you?re in store for a sunny day. During peak growing season you?ll be watering about once a week. When the days shorten and temperatures get cooler, you should begin to restrict watering. During winter, you should barely ever even water, once a month should suffice.

LIGHTING & LOCATION --- While most people understand that cacti require strong light, what most folks don?t know is that they do not necessarily appreciate intense, direct sunlight all day long (especially during hot weather). Most species will be happiest with about 4 to 6 hours of direct sun. If at all possible, we recommend you locate your cactus in the great outdoors during the active growing season. There seems to be no real substitute for fresh air and sunshine. Ideal spots are any areas which receive a few hours of direct sun, especially morning sunshine, and are partially shaded during the mid to late afternoon. During winter months when most of us will have to bring our plants indoors, a location on the sill of a south facing window will be best. If you can supply some supplemental lighting such as from a Special Grow Lamp , your plants will appreciate it. Cacti grown exclusively indoors under conventional lighting (even bright fluorescents) will rarely grow into healthy , mature specimens. Indoors, good ventilation is very important. Some air movement will help keep your plants disease and pest free. Don?t, however place specimens in front of heating and air conditioning ducts.

FEEDING --- Only fertilize plants which are actively growing and receiving adequate light. Use a fertilizer formula intended for blooming plants and mix up 1/4 to 1/2 strength solution. Feed about once every 3 or 4 weeks. We use Earth Juice brand bloom formula with excellent results. This is an organic, biologically active fertilizer. Avoid fertilizers high in nitrogen, and don?t use fish emulsions, bat guano, manures or other nitrogen-rich organic materials. During cooler weather and short days, your plant will be dormant and you should refrain from feeding.

MANAGING PESTS --- Common pest you may encounter are scale, spider mites, and mealy bugs. Most insects are best managed by physically removing them from your cacti. A focused stream of water from your garden hose will remove many unwanted critters. More stubborn residents can be removed with a cotton swab or soft bristle brush soaked in rubbing alcohol. Neem oil preparations or non-toxic, fatty acid soaps known as insecticidal soaps can provide additional help for more troublesome infestations., but be sure to test an area before spraying an entire specimen . Insecticidal soaps can cause tissue burn in some species. If you?re growing T. pachanoi or T. peruvianus, avoid pyrethrins. They will cause severe tissue burns! Never apply any treatments in direct sun or during high heat and humidity. Sprays are best applied in early morning with good ventilation to ensure rapid drying.

TEMPERATURE --- T. pachanoi , T. peruvianus and E. triglochidiatus are fairly cold hardy and can briefly withstand temps to about 20 degrees F. if kept dry. In most cases however, you should bring your specimens indoors if you expect freezing weather.

During the active growing season both Trichocereus pachanoi & Trichocereus peruvianus can benefit from more aggressive watering and feeding schedules, and will reward you with amazingly rapid growth. As long as they?re getting a few hours of direct sun and good ventilation, they really respond to the extra food and water. They also respond well to some nitrogen in their diet, and you can use 1/4 to 1/2 strength solutions of fertilizer intended for vegetative growth such as Earth Juice Grow. If you aren?t experienced, however, stick with a conservative routine.

We offer an excellent book on the subject of growing and caring for cacti called The Plantfinder's Guide to Cacti & Other Succulents that you may find quite helpful as well.
"

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
Re: My new San Pedro with pics!! [Re: Kracker]
    #3525123 - 12/20/04 05:30 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Looks like a nice healthy plant!

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #3525145 - 12/20/04 05:38 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

nice pedro!
super stylish soil topping. :wink:

FH

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Re: My new San Pedro with pics!! [Re: felixhigh]
    #3525167 - 12/20/04 05:46 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Nice specimin. Now just dont water at all for 4-6 weeks. Odd pick of rock color. Looks good!

Invisiblegema
Freedom from the Known

Loc: t(here)
Re: My new San Pedro with pics!! [Re: felixhigh]
    #3525169 - 12/20/04 05:46 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

how big does that cactus grow?

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Re: My new San Pedro with pics!! [Re: gema]
    #3525177 - 12/20/04 05:48 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

In a year they can grow anywhere from a few inches to 18-20" if well cared for. They can grow as tall as 20' over many years.
http://www.pearyhenson.org/trichocereus/san_pedro_cactus_tips.htm

Edited by Gr0wer (12/20/04 05:51 PM)

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3525186 - 12/20/04 05:51 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

what's that blue stuff?

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Re: My new San Pedro with pics!! [Re: zerozero]
    #3525191 - 12/20/04 05:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Colored rocks.

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

Re: My new San Pedro with pics!! [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3525194 - 12/20/04 05:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

that guys house is awesome! i never get sick of seeing that pic, gives me something to aspire to. :cool:

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: My new San Pedro with pics!! [Re: zerozero]
    #3525214 - 12/20/04 05:59 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

it looks very nice

I personally give my cacti pots with more room for lateral growth, though they can be expensive and large.

That's a pretty small pot for it

--------------------

OfflineKracker
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: My new San Pedro with pics!! [Re: blink]
    #3525226 - 12/20/04 06:05 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Its only going to be in there till summer then i will plant it in a bigger pot outside. I wanted somthing different so i went with the blue rocks instead of black or earth tone colors, I think it looks more exotic with the blue too. Thanks for the responces guys.

OfflineJaRRn
Lost in Space
Male User Gallery

Loc: Standing on the Cosmic Sh...
    #3530402 - 12/22/04 02:39 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

That looks really nice ! 5 for you

OfflineOrangeVWCamper
"Tie Dye'dBandit"

Loc: Florida
Re: My new San Pedro with pics!! [Re: JaRRn]
    #3531262 - 12/22/04 10:25 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Dig the blue rocks. Love the color contrast. Where did you get them? They the kind you put into fish tanks?

Offlineatoning_unifex
bovine entity

Re: My new San Pedro with pics!! [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3531346 - 12/22/04 11:07 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

this guys pic looks like my mas hoose.... when i went overseas i planted 40+ pedros and a few macrogonus in her back garden.....  they started out 4-5 feet tall.....    mmmmm fun... (thanks ma)  :smile:

--------------------
" time is a drug.... too much will kill you"

......Ballad of Atoning Unifex.....

At the age of 30 something
he realised
he'd never ride
through london
in a black cab
with weird drugs
in his veins......

OfflineKracker
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: My new San Pedro with pics!! [Re: OrangeVWCamper]
    #3532700 - 12/22/04 05:45 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

OrangeVWCamper said:
Dig the blue rocks. Love the color contrast. Where did you get them? They the kind you put into fish tanks?

I got them a Mejers. They where just fishtank rocks. not bad 1.99 per contaner and it took about 1 & 1/2 contaners. Thats why i went with the blue to make it look different and more exotic. I think think the colors look sweet. again thanks everyone :thumbup:

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

Re: My new San Pedro [Re: World Spirit]
    #3532761 - 12/22/04 06:07 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

"Avoid fertilizers high in nitrogen, and don?t use fish emulsions, bat guano, manures or other nitrogen-rich organic materials. During cooler weather and short days, your plant will be dormant and you should refrain from feeding"

I thought cacti liked high nitrogen fertilizers?

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Re: My new San Pedro [Re: theocean06]
    #3532769 - 12/22/04 06:10 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

not durring rooting and dormancy, but in spring load em on! :laugh:

OfflineMaverik
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: West
Re: My new San Pedro [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3536309 - 12/23/04 02:54 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Cacti generally do NOT like ferts high in nitrogen, San Pedro and other fast growing columnar cacti are more tolerant of higher levels because they grow faster. You still don't want to give them as much N as you would something like tomatoes or melons. N will encourage faster vertical growth and more pupping so you need a long day of full sun to use the nutrients and overdoing it can lead to complications like hollowing of the vascular core.

--------------------
~ Dead to the Core ~

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate