Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleusefulidiot
It's notfascist, it's...Neoconservative!

British Government Orders E Mail Purge (To Hide Corruption Evidence)
    #3525119 - 12/20/04 07:28 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,11725496%5E1702,00.html
British Government Orders E Mail Purge
Herald Sun | December 19 2004

MILLIONS of e-mails to British government staff will be automatically wiped out on Monday, 11 days before freedom of information laws come into force, a newspaper reported Saturday.

The Cabinet Office, which supports Prime Minister Tony Blair and co-ordinates government policy, has ruled that e-mails more than three months old must be deleted from December 20, according to The Times.

Its 2,000 civil servants are being told to print and file e-mails that should be disclosed under the Freedom of Information (FoI) Act, the newspaper said.

It will be up to the individual which e-mails are printed, with no monitoring from heads of department. Many officials, who receive about 100 e-mails a day, will have at least 3,000 items in their mailboxes, it said.

Although the deleted e-mails will be stored on back-up systems, these have been declared off limits to freedom of information requests because of the cost of accessing them, it added.Mo< The Conservative opposition party said Blair's Labour government was deliberately trying to destroy embarrassing information.

"This begs the question how much more does the Labour administration need to hide," Michael Fabricant, the Shadow Minister for Industry and Technology, was quoted as saying.

The decision also raises questions about whether the trail of correspondence which brought down David Blunkett, the former home secretary, would have surfaced.

The Cabinet Office insisted that the exercise was not related to the Freedom of Information Act but was "good records management practice," to stop files blocking the system.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: British Government Orders E Mail Purge (To Hide Corruption Evidence) [Re: usefulidiot]
    #3525335 - 12/20/04 09:02 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Seems like a reasonable position. I mean, all those emails made by, not only high level officials but also average employees were made under the pretense of privacy. I know that i wouldn't want my emails at work accessable to anyone who wants them.

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
Re: British Government Orders E Mail Purge (To Hide Corruption Evidence) [Re: usefulidiot]
    #3525351 - 12/20/04 09:07 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Many officials, who receive about 100 e-mails a day, will have at least 3,000 items in their mailboxes, it said.

So fucking what, I know TONS of people that have 3,000 items in there box. (mostly microsoft people/programer types) Printing out that many e-mails is such a miniscule task.

I used to work at a camp like over a half decade ago that had a printer that printed HUNDREDS of pages in a min or two. It printed stuff pages at a time, and it printed pages in less then a second.

Seriously it would not be hard to print all those e-mails. There just covering stuff up.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3526873 - 12/21/04 09:11 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

When there's corruption, it's not generally every single person in the agency that knows about it. That would be foolish and risky. There are security issues, and space issues. As well as the possibility laid out by the opposition, that they wanted to hide not their corruption, but their incompetance- "Blair's Labour government was deliberately trying to destroy embarrassing information."

So, putting "(to hide corruption)" into the title of the story is not responsible journalism. I've never even seen Fox News stoop that low. You're blatantly inserting the angle that fits your worldview into the article. I see you're taking notes from Alex Jones.  :rolleyes:

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Invisibleusefulidiot
It's notfascist, it's...Neoconservative!

Re: British Government Orders E Mail Purge (To Hide Corruption Evidence) [Re: Phluck]
    #3527064 - 12/21/04 10:59 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

So, putting "(to hide corruption)" into the title of the story is not responsible journalism. I've never even seen Fox News stoop that low. You're blatantly inserting the angle that fits your worldview into the article. I see you're taking notes from Alex Jones.

meh..irresponsible reporting it may be in the eyes of some, while it may be considered merly getting to the point in the eyes of others..

Have you heard much about the no-conspiracy theorists? It seems they tend to like associating the first nicely dressed scenario that pops into their mind as the 'new truth' which somehow indicates to them that a potentially shady situation is indeed nothing more than innocent and probably even considered to be practical practice.

Alot of people who seem to be stuck inside this mentallity tend to overlook the fact that in many of these instances one could probably say that: "Where there is Smoke - There is Fire."

The No-Conspioracy Theory

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3528473 - 12/21/04 06:27 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

:rolleyes:

There's a difference between "where there's smoke, there's fire", and "where there's smoke, there's a fire lit by top secret government arsonists".

It may be easy to simplify everything down so that you can blame every single problem in the world on a mysterious group of elite men, it sure makes it all a whole lot easier to understand. But that doesn't make it accurate.

It's not that hard to interpret every single news story you can find through the filter of your own worldview, all kinds of wackos do it. There's no actual evidence in the article that suggests that this was done to hide corruption. That's a possibility, but there are also a handful of other, equally plausible possibilities, but you ignore them because they wouldn't necessarily fit into your idea of how things work. Of course, you'll tell me that I'm ignoring what's "obvious", completely overlooking the fact that it's only obvious to people who have already decided what they are going to believe. It's no different than claiming that it should be obvious that god exists because "just look around you".

People like David Icke use exactly the same techniques as Alex Jones, claiming that reptilian aliens have infiltrated the government. They will also be able to show you a big list of news stories that "back up" their claims, and will tell you that it's obvious if you just open your eyes.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Edited by Phluck (12/21/04 06:41 PM)

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3528768 - 12/21/04 08:06 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I dont understand what you guys are saying. It seems very reasonable to tell all employees that, from now on, all emails will be monitored so purge all emails now and enact this on X date.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion