Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShroomanton
Shrooman!
Is this compost suitable for bulk use?
    #3522630 - 12/20/04 12:33 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if the following can be used for bulk (cube) growing.

My plan would be to use the compost described below as a substrate in a large tub (10-12 gallon), spawn it with 2 quarts of colonized millet, and case it with a coir/verm mix. This would be my first venture into bulk growing, having previously used cased millet.

Would the compost need any additions or special preparation before it can be used? of course in the end if I have no definitive answers I will experiment and try it for myself.

"****** Compost (40 litre bag)
Hoof stock (giraffe, zebra, elephant, bison, antelope, llama, rhino, hippo and camel) manure, and bedding straw is collected from the *locations removed* zoo's and shredded, then put into piles before being covered with black plastic so that it heats to high temperatures. This hot method of composting kills weeds and diseases, sterilising the compost. Every two days the piles of compost are turned and, after approximately two and a half weeks, the compost is mixed with aged bark fines, and packed into bags ready for use. The end result is a sweet-smelling, easy to handle, quality compost-high in nutrients."

Thanks, I appreciate any help.

Edited by Shroomanton (12/20/04 12:44 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
Re: Is this compost suitable for bulk use? [Re: Shroomanton]
    #3522731 - 12/20/04 01:10 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

sounds good to me
make sure yr pasturization is okay
and you should be fine.

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

Edited by muse_sick (12/20/04 01:11 AM)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3522770 - 12/20/04 01:32 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

ZOO DOO is primo substrate, so long as it is not so fresh, it still smells of urine.

--------------------

OfflineShroomanton
Shrooman!
Re: Is this compost suitable for bulk use? [Re: agar]
    #3523315 - 12/20/04 04:52 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the replies, nice picture too :smile:

Ok, so if it smells of urine it's too fresh? will soaking it in water for an hour, then draining well and allowing to dry fix this? (I read this in one of the teks)

And yes I will pasteurize it well!

Thanks again.

Edited by Shroomanton (12/20/04 06:29 PM)

Offlinecardinalgreen
Cardinal Green
Loc: USA
    #3523377 - 12/20/04 05:56 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yes!! You must leach it - let water run through it for a few minutes to remove any dried urine. Urine will slow if not stop growth. The compost sounds ideal!! I found when I do leach my compost the final two rinses is with hot tap water - no need to pasteurize after that. Compost is very forgiving as far as contamination goes - and I find that any living bacteria left after a hot tap water rinse is very beneficial to the breakdown of compost for the mushrooms needs plus producing very large and more potent shrooms.

OfflineShroomanton
Shrooman!
Re: Is this compost suitable for bulk use? [Re: cardinalgreen]
    #3524916 - 12/20/04 06:28 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the info, cardinalgreen.

I will leach it as you say, but I still may pasteurize it... just to be sure. It's not that I don't trust you or anything, it's just I'd prefer to definately do it right my first time.
But in subsequent attempts, as I allow myself to experiment, I will perhaps forgo the pasteurization step.

Thanks again, any further input is very welcome! (although, my main questions are answered now)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation