Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefrogger25
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: east coast
discrimination
    #3521269 - 12/19/04 06:43 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

can someone clarify this for me- a buisness is not allowed to not hire you based on the color of your skin, right?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
Re: discrimination [Re: frogger25]
    #3521333 - 12/19/04 07:03 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

That depends on what color your skin is. They are not supposed to hire you based on the fact that your skin is very light. However, they can hire you based on the fact that your skin is dark.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Offlinefrogger25
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: discrimination [Re: Autonomous]
    #3521367 - 12/19/04 07:12 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

i though they werenrt allowed to set quota's or something

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
    #3521543 - 12/19/04 07:53 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

It's a dont ask dont tell thing with employers. They can not-hire someone because they're a visible minority and get away with it easily, they just "officially" don't hire them for other reasons.

My old boss was a blatant racist, and when an East Indian guy applied, he didn't hire him "officially" because the guy was wealthy and just wanted a shit job to kill some time. But later I heard him mutter "Fucked if I'm hiring a paki."

--------------------

Offlinefrogger25
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: discrimination [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3521656 - 12/19/04 08:24 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

yeah i guess it is a pretty hard law to enforce, perhaps if we develope the ability to read people's thoughts like in that book 1984 the world would be alot more equal

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
    #3521669 - 12/19/04 08:29 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

1984?

That was a follow up to A Clockwork Orange. Ugh.

Government is generally evil, even if their intentions are good.

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: discrimination [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3521856 - 12/19/04 09:30 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

zahudulallah said:
1984?

That was a follow up to A Clockwork Orange. Ugh.

:what: ummm different authors... 1984 was written by George Orwell and first published in 1949. A Clockwork Orange was written by Anthony Burgess and first published in 1962.

Quote:

Government is generally evil, even if their intentions are good.

So what's up with the CPUSA link in your signature? Purely for ironic purposes? The CPUSA most definitely supports a large central governmental role.

I don't mean to be a dick or anything, but neither of your statements made any sense to me. :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

Re: discrimination [Re: Krishna]
    #3521868 - 12/19/04 09:34 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Do any blue babies make it to adulthood? They usually have to have an operation to correct their heart defect before they get too old. People with heart defects wouldn't qualify for some jobs.

Offlinefrogger25
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: discrimination [Re: Great_Satan]
    #3523751 - 12/20/04 11:25 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

yeah i knoew someone with a blue face in highschool, they didnt seem to be significantly effected by any heart defect

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
    #3523764 - 12/20/04 11:31 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

:lol:

I miss him already.

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#3524580 - 12/20/04 05:03 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

If you own a company, you should be able to hire skinhead nazis if you so desire. Of course, people feel that the governments job is to force you to do what is right, so that might be illegal. I think that you are only held to "equal opportunity" hiring if you receive federal grants.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

OfflineLupuz
It's 4:20Somewhere

Loc: Somewhere
Re: discrimination [Re: SoopaX]
    #3528262 - 12/21/04 05:10 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Affirmative action was meant to correct the blatant discrimination of companies against minorities and no, they do not have to receive federal grants. The business does have to have a minimum number of employees (if you want to know that number let me know and I'll dig it out of my business law book). They are not supposed to be held to affirmative action standards if they have a representative number of minorities hired. After the company has hired enough minority employees they are not required to continue hiring more minority workers. The screwed up part is that you have to be a member of a "protected class" meaning that if an all black company refused to hire a white guy the white guy would have no recourse because he is not a member of the protected class.

--------------------
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Thomas Jefferson

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: discrimination [Re: Lupuz]
    #3528281 - 12/21/04 05:17 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

i know there is racism, but i was told once that i had no chance in hell for a promotion. "we all-ready have plenty of white supervisors"
that shit hurt....

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #3528946 - 12/21/04 09:06 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Great_Satan said:
Do any blue babies make it to adulthood?  They usually have to have an operation to correct their heart defect before they get too old.  People with heart defects wouldn't qualify for some jobs.

hmmm... was this directed at me? first off, congrats, G_S - i wouldn't have thought that you knew your hindu mythology! there are many theories about why krishna is depicted as being blue. one is indeed some sort of heart-defect - if you look at many ancient pictures of krishna, he is often depicted as squatting - something that would help circulation for somebody with tetrology of fallot. another theory, though, is that krishna may have just been very dark-skinned. and, the aryans were the first to write down the hindu-scriptures, and were light-skinned. thus, they might have changed very-dark to being blue, so as to avoid having to explain the fact that one of vishnu's manifestations was a dravidian (whom they culturally saw as a "lesser" race).

i assume, of course, that your statement "Do any blue babies make it to adulthood?" was only directed towards the mythology behind my username and avatar, and not directly at me.

:cool:

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3530473 - 12/22/04 05:46 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

> a buisness is not allowed to not hire you based on the color of your skin, right?

When I worked for the federal government, hiring was done based on points. A candidate was given points based on various attributes. Whoever had the most points at the end of the search got the job. Attributes that obtained points were things like military service or being a minority. The level of education or the ability for the candidtate to perform the job required were distant considerations. If we had a white guy with a phd and a black guy with a high school diploma both going for the same high end technical job, we would have had to hire the high school educated guy over the phd based on skin color. If this is not discrimination, then I don't know what is...

So in answer to your question, yes, skin color can be used to discriminate in an equal oportunity job market as long as the discrimination is in favor of the minority.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion