Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

whats the best light?
    #3520738 - 12/19/04 02:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

whats the best 2-4 foot floro you can bye at a regular store for maxime growth/flowering?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Loc: New Orleans!
Re: whats the best light? [Re: fee]
    #3520840 - 12/19/04 02:48 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

the best type of light to grow pot with is a high pressure sodiuim lamp (hps), which is a high intensity discharge (hid) type of lamp. hps lamps throw off a reddish orange type pf light...which is very beneficial for flowering marijuana plants. for the veggitive part of growing, a metal halide (another hid lamp) would serve best, though an hps can vegg plants just fine (and vise versa, a metal halide lamp can produce very potent cannabis flowers). but since these type of lights cost a good bit of cash (to your average stoner), purchasing one is probably a more sensible alternitive. i'd say for all around performance, the hps is better, though some may argue differently.

but if you insist on using florscent lighting then just get your basic 4' shoplights and a few compact floro fixtures (2-5). no fancy types, just warm white and cool white...not the "plant lights" some stores offer. most of the time these lamp have a horrible spectrum and do not perform well. 40 watts each (4' bulbs). when using floros, you need several fixtures to produce a whorthwhile crop. you can't just use one shoplight, i mean you CAN grow a pot plant under just 1 fixture but the potency will be weak as hell. when i used floros, i would use 2 dual-bulb fixtures and about 2-4 compact floroscent bulbs (cfl's). one shopligtht on the top, one from the side, and the compact floros where neccesary. since other areas had better light, i would have to rotate my crop several times a day to help even things out a bit. another pesky thing was that i would constantly have to adjust move the fixtures around to meet the needs of the plants. it is possible to grow some dank ass chronic with florscent lighting, though the disadvantages outweigh that of a hid lamp. hid lamps may seem a bit pricey but the amount of high quality bud you recieve from them definately makes it a worthwhile investment.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX
Re: whats the best light? [Re: Psilostylin]
    #3520859 - 12/19/04 02:51 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Cool floros work best for veg and a cool/warm 1:2 mix works well for flower.

Get started under floros and invest in a 400w HPS. You'll pay off for thelamp first harvest and then some.

Anonymous

Re: whats the best light? [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3520892 - 12/19/04 03:03 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I cant afford a hps thats why I was wondering about the floros

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX
Re: whats the best light? [Re: fee]
    #3520901 - 12/19/04 03:05 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You can get a 400 for like 120 from insidesun.com , not sure if thats still outside your budget.

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
    #3521235 - 12/19/04 04:34 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

if you are going to use floros then go with alot of compact floros instead of the shop lights. they provide more intense light in a smaller area. and also they perform much better than the tubes becuase only the center of the tube is putting off the light you want making the sides of the grow area useless. i used floros for my first bagseed grow and it went shitty but it was from me and not the lights fualt. i used 400watts of cfl on a home made ballast with 4 fixtures and one 100watt cfl in each and it did fine for 3 plants.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: whats the best light? [Re: KyKid]
    #3521365 - 12/19/04 05:12 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

compacts are the shit. but good ones of any size are jsut as pricey as hps/mh. here they run 100+ each. or you could get a whack of those $5 ones and pay jsut as much for fictures as you would an hps/mh deal. im a flouro fan but for quality bud its way more expensive to use flouros.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
Re: whats the best light? [Re: kadakuda]
    #3521984 - 12/19/04 08:05 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

yeah, i dont have much expirence yet i growing with both types of light but i have smoked the buds from my floro grow and i have to say it was no were near to the kind of weed i can get around here.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
    #3522063 - 12/19/04 08:19 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

A $45 70-150w HPS security light with a homemade reflector is also a good option.

If you are using tubes then you should scrog or train them so you always have the tops level or higher then the bulbs.

You can also overballast your bulbs. For example if oyu want a 1x2' box buy 4x 2' T18 daylight or cool floro tubes and two dual bulb 4' 40w shoplight fixtures. Use the ballast, wires, and sockets from the 2x 40w fixture so your 18-20w 2' flro tubes are being pumped 40w each.

This helps increase the intensity so you have a larger sweet spot for growth and get more penitration into the canopy.

InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
    #3522094 - 12/19/04 08:25 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

"yeah, i dont have much expirence yet i growing with both types of light but i have smoked the buds from my floro grow and i have to say it was no were near to the kind of weed i can get around here."

are you saying it was better or worse than your local commercial scene?
floros can perform quite well...though i still say an hps would serve best.

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#3522223 - 12/19/04 08:50 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

for weed i still like our good ol sun. 6-9 UV is good enough for me. i liek a weeker bud with little risk. home grown can have little risk but theres always that paranoia.

--------------------

InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
    #3522330 - 12/19/04 09:15 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

definately. no light bulb in the world can close to the intensity the sun offers. it's free too :grin: !

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
    #3524719 - 12/20/04 03:26 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i was saying that the local 30 1/8 bud around here is better then the homegrown i got from my floro bagseed grow.

InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
    #3525040 - 12/20/04 05:01 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

$30 an 1/8?! man, that's a good deal. around here 1/8's go for about $50 each :frown:
but yeah man, just keep practicing, get an hps or mh, and continue reading up on growing, and i promise that you'll be singing a different tune  :stoned:

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#3525908 - 12/20/04 10:20 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

50 US an eitgh?!?! damn no wonder you guys are into home grown, sheet! but thats gotta be some pretty hot ass weed i bet.

--------------------

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3526102 - 12/20/04 11:11 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

man in the states 60 an eight is totally normal from new york to Florida to California.
and it's not always as good as it could be, you guys would probably call most of the US 60 dollars stuff shit, and it would probably cost you like 20 bucks.
you guys are way lucky in Canada, as far as herb is concerned. :stash:
i get the best stuff ever, but i'm talkin about most the gear i see people pushin.
peace 00

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: whats the best light? [Re: zerozero]
    #3526136 - 12/20/04 11:22 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

thats what many people seemt o say on this site. i dotn get why americans cant grow just as good pot as anywhere else in teh world....you guys got hte same lights we do, same ferts etc...is it just a law thing thats enforced more there that makes it more expensive? thats the only hting i can think of.

its usually 20/25 here sometimes 30 from kids.

--------------------

InvisibleLifenergy
Yo Mama

#3526197 - 12/20/04 11:39 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thats why all herb loving Americans that have the ability should grow their own. NO bud is better than bud you have grown, but I guess that goes for anything you grow yourself. We have a local group of dedicated growers who keep quality stuff around and spread the good genetics. Its our civic duty. It helps to keep prices reasonable, too. When the stuff coming from other places is inferior and going for 50 an eighth, and you can get some dank ass local stuff for 35 from people you know won't rip you off, the choice is easy. Due to our efforts, we have seen the outsider bud going for as low as 30 an eighth.
Do your part! Grow some bud! Do it for America!

--------------------
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
Re: whats the best light? [Re: Lifenergy]
    #3527029 - 12/21/04 08:42 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

if your paying 50 an 1/8 then something is terribly wrong with you. Grow your own shit so you dont have to be raped by the main stream teenage gangster dealers anymore. i can get a hlf once of some chronic for 80.00 and 1/8 of nyc diesel 40.00
50 is way to high, but i guess if thats all that was going around and i didnt have any growing id have to pay it, soory about your alls luck. also that is the reason why most US pot is low grade shit, people here care about prices and putting money in there pocket and not about the quality herb there growing. not to mention the law, its hard to take your time and grow something right with all the love and care it needs when you got to spend most of your time trying to figure out ways to out smart the local cops or dea.

InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
    #3527646 - 12/21/04 12:24 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

KyKid said:
if your paying 50 an 1/8 then something is terribly wrong with you. Grow your own shit so you dont have to be raped by the main stream teenage gangster dealers anymore.

i learned this lesson long ago. i refuse to buy commercial weed anymore. all the bud i smoke is my own, unless one of my buddies has some herb they're willing to burn. pot is too easy to grow to pay ridiculous amounts of money for.

OVERGROW THE GOVERNMENT!
peace and pot :stoned:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale