Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTheDrugStore

Loc: Hawaii Flag
Casing colonization gone wrong?
    #3519275 - 12/19/04 12:50 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I have an odd problem going on...

My top casing layer which was about 1/2" covering 2" of substrate is growing extreamly slowly.
Its been 8 days and im just now seeing some grow out. This because i took off 1/4 of an inch because to me it should have been ready for the fruiting chamber by now.

Anyways some problems did go wrong...
For the first 4 days temperature problems were occuring. My heating pad was constantly turning off and on because of its extreme fire proof sensitivity. When on, the temps would be at an optimal 85. When i found that the heating pad had automatically turned off, i would check and temps and they would be at 75 for that amount of time it was off, which could have been any amount of time.

The problem was fixed and temps soon were at a constant 85 degrees. One time climbing to 92, but no higher than that.

Whats the problem?
Did my casings go into fruiting mode because of the sometimes low temps?

By the way, this strain is a very fast colonizer and in past expirences was ready to fruit in 3 days with a casing layer of 1 in. So this is extreamly unusual to me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing colonization gone wrong? [Re: TheDrugStore]
    #3519393 - 12/19/04 01:36 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

What does the "casing" layer consist of & what is it's Ph?

--------------------

Offlinecardinalgreen
Cardinal Green
Loc: USA
Re: Casing colonization gone wrong? [Re: agar]
    #3519461 - 12/19/04 02:21 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I used a heating pad once and all came to a stand still. The air temp. said 82 when the actual substrate was 105 degrees.(near death experience) I found that I had better luck just growing at room temp.although things went a bit slower. I use vermiculite/peat moss 50/50 with crushed oyster shell and never use hydrated lime as a buffer. If I do use supplemental heating as in winter when my house can't stay in the 70s - I use a florescent light above grow chamber and insert an outside thermometer extension wire directly into the substrate. HAPPY TRAILS!

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing colonization gone wrong? [Re: cardinalgreen]
    #3519483 - 12/19/04 02:30 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I gather the substrate container was directly on the heat mat.

Sounds like your substrate babies bottom was toasted

105F substrate temp is/was the problem.

You want the heat to create ambiant air temp.

--------------------

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Loc: Yonder Flag
Re: Casing colonization gone wrong? [Re: agar]
    #3519520 - 12/19/04 02:53 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

yeah, my casing is looking pretty good and this is my first casing ever! it is all because of the shit that you guys post every night! thanks to all who contributed thus far!! (knock on wood) i haven't exp'ed contams yet. wish me luck!!

--------------------

:murray:

InvisibleTheDrugStore

Re: Casing colonization gone wrong? [Re: blissedout]
    #3522703 - 12/19/04 10:57 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

the heating pad was never touching the subsrate casing. At the begining it was in a different area heating up the space. Right now its between a rubbermaid tub which inside they are on cups keeping it from the heated floor and only getting the air temperature. One time i found the dirt being a little warm, but ive had that before and nothing went wrong because of it. Anyways the heating problem just recently happened which did not cause this long amont of colonization time.

The top casing layer is 50% peat moss 50% verm without any PH buffer.
PH is an unknown right now but ill try to get back to you on that.
Ive used this same mix without problems, same brands and everything.

--------------------
Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana and mushrooms in private for personal use.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3522737 - 12/19/04 11:15 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Heating pads are deisigned to localize heat into one small area , normally an elbow , a knee etc . It is rather difficult to use one to "ambiently" heat a cubic sized area(i.e. 2 cubic feet) . Your temp range will not stay consitent causing swings in myc growth . As mentioned some where above , very easy to over heat sub with one ,  also easy to think one has "even" temp range in grow chamber or incubator .

I bet you ph level of your casing to be "aprox" 5.5-6.8  :wink:
Which is "okay" for mushies , they will still grow in that range . They really like 7.0 but a slightly acidic range is okay .
GL

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
    #3522740 - 12/19/04 11:18 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hmm, temp variation during casing incubation is not really a concern (at least, it's not what is causing slow colonization)

I know peat moss is a little bit too acid so a ph buffer can't hurt but honnestly, very good results can be achieved with peat without stressing with PH .  At least, I never paid attention to PH, mostly because i'm using coir (which by itself is already pretty much neutral)

Since you can't do much about the slow colonization, my advice would be put that casing in terrarium right now and wait at least another 10 days before loosing hope with pins..

And do not bother questionning yourself about fruiting mode, colonization mode, etc... cubes will let you know where they at :wink:  They are not easily messed up, they know how to pin and won't hesitate showing you... 

i might not be clear, i'm just saying that they are usually very easy to grow and not so picky when it's time to pin.  Good RH, good air exchange, bit of light and you're in for the ride !

Good luck.  Better watch for contams instead.  And make sure your casing layer is always moist. 

.fs.

InvisibleTheDrugStore

Re: Casing colonization gone wrong? [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #3525231 - 12/20/04 06:07 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the advice guys.
The mycelium seems to be growing, but whats growing seems like "weak" mycelium.
For example normally when it pops up its, thick with a bright white touch to it. Instead it seems to be growing but so slightly that is doesn't give off its radient color or any thickness, just like a thin layer that i usually see after the a flush has been picked and it has to recolonize the surface.

Anyways it should be ready for fruiting in a couple days. I will see then if this will cause any problems in the fruiting future.

Thanks for the help guys!
:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------
Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana and mushrooms in private for personal use.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck