Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
 User Gallery

Loc: The Hand
The Dog Whisperer
    #3517507 - 12/18/04 05:36 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

This is the name of a TV show on National Geographic channel featuring Cesar Millan. He is an animal behaviorist who goes into people's houses to evaluate and solve their dog's behavioral problems.

What becomes obvious in watching just a few episodes is that the real issue is in PEOPLE behavior toward the dog. The dog has merely interpreted the people's behavior from its perspective as a dog and responded accordingly.

Here's an example. A terrior dog is very aggressive to the point of biting people other than the man who owns it. The man has in fact created the situation by picking the dog up when the dog wants to be picked up, holding the dog at eye level constantly, and never telling the dog not to do something. So, the man has created a dominant alpha dog who attacks those that threaten his "bitch", the man! The Dog Whisperer solved the problem by having the man reclaim dominance over the dog. When the dog tried to assert it's dominance by jumping up and wanting to be picked up, the man made a clicking noise while NOT picking the dog up. The dog immediately reverted to a submissive position and just walked around on the ground. It did not try to jump up. Later, when the man told the dog to come to him, and picked up the dog, the dog remained submissive. When people now approached the man holding his dog, the dog was now completely non-aggressive.

Another example was a dog that was "out of control" while walking. The dog would run ahead, pull the owner, etc. This was worse when the kids walked the dog. The owners had allowed the dog to dominate, so naturally the dog walked ahead, pulled, and went where and when it the dog wanted to. The Dog Whisperer had a few easy solutions. At walk time, the human invites the dog to walk by having the dog come to the human and NOT vice versa, and the human leaves the house first in front of the dog. The dog is placed on a short leash pulled through the loop so that if the dog does try to get ahead, the noose tightens on the dog's neck. Once human dominance was established, the dog walks alongside the human willingly. Before that, the alpha dog might pull like a horse for the entire walk!

In a human family, the same type of behavioral problems can occur for children that are allowed by the parents to "dominate" the parents. (Although hopefully they don't bite others.) This is not to say that parents should choke their children or put them on a short leash. But, if you give a child enough rope to hang themselves, they just might!

Dogs and children NEED well defined boundaries consistently enforced by a "dominant" owner or parents. Of course, it is vital that the dominant person has love and the best interest of the dog or child at heart.

As children, were you allowed to dominate or were you dominated? Were you kept on a tight leash, or were you allowed to run out of control? Were your parents consistent and loving or did they abuse their power? Do you view authority with disdain or with respect or both based on years of school and other "training"? Do you feel a need to dominate and be "in control" all the time? Are you the submissive type? If so, are you comfortable with that, or do you think you should be more assertive?

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis (Retired)
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: The Dog Whisperer [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #3517558 - 12/18/04 05:53 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

honestly i dont remember much from my childhood

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction. This poster is no longer active.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis (Retired)
 User Gallery

#3517560 - 12/18/04 05:54 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

honestly i dont remember much from my childhood

i dont feel im dominant or submisive just firm in my right to be heard and be in control of myself, if not others. i think i tend to afford other people that same right

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
 User Gallery

Re: The Dog Whisperer [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3517634 - 12/18/04 06:23 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

just firm in my right to be heard and in control of myself, if not others.

:thumbup:  Your lucid dreaming abilities show your personal control.

--------------------

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
    #3517685 - 12/18/04 06:45 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I think I was dominant, I never got grounded as a kid. Then again the only thing I ever really did that pissed off my parents was like drugs and not like school. They tried to ground me a couple times but it went like this:

"You're grounded"

"No I'm not"

"Yes you are!"

"FUCK YOU ROBBLE ROBBLE ROBBLE"

"What are we ever going to do with him?"

I know that makes me seem like an asshole but I refused to be punished for doing something I believed in. I never caused any trouble or harmed anybody. If only the government would listen to my robble robble robbles...

--------------------
GET MAD SWAG MONEY BIG PIMPIN

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis (Retired)
 User Gallery

#3517708 - 12/18/04 06:53 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

i might have overhyped my lucid dreaming skills. there have been times when ive gotten damn good at it, lucid dreaming almost every night but it wavers, im on the upsurge again and i have a 3 week vacation which i will use to get back into things with a vengeance.

its not a natural gift its an ability anyone can develop. i advise you all do so

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
 User Gallery

Re: The Dog Whisperer [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3517854 - 12/18/04 07:45 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

it's not a natural gift it is an ability anyone can develop

Yes that is true and in the past with attention and practice I was able to have some lucid dreams. Unfortunately, if you don't use it you lose it.

What techniques do you use to gain control of your dream? I used the "remember to look at your hands" from the Castaneda books to good effect.

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
 User Gallery

Re: The Dog Whisperer [Re: Wysefool]
    #3517874 - 12/18/04 07:56 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I know that makes me seem like an asshole but I refused to be punished for something I believe in.

No, it doesn't make you seem like an asshole, just someone who was taught to question authority as a result of your success in that area with your parents!   

So, you question the government in the same way.

I think it's great that you see your behavior for what it is and from where it originates.

Besides, the government's authority should be questioned.  :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology