Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
Two things that confuse me (Newbish Questions)
    #3517192 - 12/18/04 01:05 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Before anyone gets mad at me I want to say that for the last two days I have been doing nothing but reading all the grow guides and FAQs on how to grow and what are the best methods for beginners (this sounds like a nerve racking yet fun possible experience). However in reading everything I could find, I am still confused two things which I haven't been able to find the answer to.

1. How do you get a spore print into a syringe to put into the cakes? And if that question doesn't sound right, what is involved in the process of making whatever it is you need to make to put into the syringe to put into the cakes? I thought about take some of my remaining cyans and putting them in a blinder with some water and then using that but I think that's a huge waste and I'm sure someone will say that's stupid. The whole PK Tek method is very easy for me to wrap my mind around except for this one part.

2. Secondly, should there be anything inside the terrariums when growing? Like plants or anything?

Thank you in advance for reading this and maybe giving me some answers.

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexxduffxx
Shroom Soldier
 User Gallery

Loc: VA
Re: Two things that confuse me (Newbish Questions) [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #3517247 - 12/18/04 01:38 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

www.mushmush.com

they have some really good info on that site. im sure they cover that info very well.

--------------------
Roger Out

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: Two things that confuse me (Newbish Questions) [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #3517315 - 12/18/04 02:18 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Please support the Shroomery's Sponsors
Psilocyber's Syringe Tek

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: These instructions are most effective when performed in the most sterile environment available. The preferred method involves following the steps below while working in a clean and sterile glovebox. There are many simple methods of glovebox construction; most are available on the web at the popular mycological culture Websites. If you do not wish to construct a glovebox, or do not have one, the following steps may be preformed with success by using the "oven tek." This simply involved using your oven as a way of reducing the amount of contamination present. To do this, turn your oven on its "warm" setting. Pull down the lid. You may then use the lid as a working surface or pull out one of the oven racks halfway and work on it. The theory is the rising heat from the oven causes airborne contaminations to rise as well and therefore prevents them from settling on your working surface.

Materials needed:
Empty sterile syringes
Two quart (or larger) saucepan
One bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol
Several paper towels
A lighter or alcohol flame
A shot glass

Procedure One: Making a sterile syringe

1. Fill your saucepan halfway with tap or distilled water (use distilled water if your tap water contains higher levels of minerals and chemicals).
2. Boil the water in the saucepan on high for a minimum of ten minutes, this should be adequate to sterilize and cleans the water of all bacteria and viruses.
3. Take your empty syringe and fill it with the boiling water. Allow it to sit for two minute with the hot water inside.
4. Purge the hot water from the syringe into a sink, not back into the saucepan.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 two more times. Upon the second time leave the hot water in the syringe.
6. Place the syringe in a cool draft-free place, preferable in a clean zip-lock bag
7. Allow it to cool for several hours before proceeding to Procedure Two.

Procedure Two: Transferring print spores into syringe

1. First clean your work area. This may involve wiping down all work surfaces with a diluted bleach solution and spraying the area liberally with a disinfectant such as Lysol.
2. Place the following materials in your glovebox or on the oven lid working surface: The shot glass, your cooled syringes, the bottle of alcohol, a paper towel, your print (still in zip-lock baggie) and the lighter or alcohol flame.
3. Wash hands with antibacterial soap before proceeding further.
4. Fold the paper towel up into ? sections and soak a corner of it with the alcohol.
5. With the alcohol soaked towel wipe the interior of the shot glass, essentially sterilizing the surface you are about to use in the transfer. Allow the shot glass to air dry, should only take a few seconds.
6. Remove the needle guard from your sterile syringe and flame sterilize the needle. Then take your alcohol soaked paper towel and wipe the needle with it to further aid in the sterilization. At this point try to avoid letting the needle touch any other surface unless otherwise instructed to do so.
7. NOTE: it is important at this point to work as quickly as possible to help combat the chances of contaminating molds and bacteria falling into your work area and thereby ruining your syringe.
8. Remove the print from its storage baggie. Unfold it to expose the spores. Lightly begin to scrape, using the needle of the syringe, a section of the print off into the shot glass. For a medium sized print it is usually adequate to scrape off a section no larger than 1/5 of the total print.
9. You will have a small noticeable collection of spores in the shot glass. Now expunge no more than half of the water from the syringe into the shot glass, lightly stirring the spores into the solution.
10. Suck the spore water solution into the syringe. You may need to expunge some more water into the shot glass and re-suck to help in capturing all the spores into the syringe.
11. Once you have the spore solution back into the syringe you should notice that the water inside has turned a darker shade of color and you may see small clusters of spores floating in the solution. This is good, you have completed the process.
12. Sterilize the needle again with the alcohol soaked paper towel, replace the needle guard and place the syringe back into your clean zip-lock bag.
13. Allow the syringe to sit for no less than 12 hours before using it in jar inoculation. This is extremely important, as the spores must be allowed to rehydrate before they can be introduced into the substrate material. Failure to allow this may result is slow or no germination.

Has worked for me and you couldn't find this(on the adv. cultivation)

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Two things that confuse me (Newbish Questions) [Re: KaptKid]
    #3517324 - 12/18/04 02:21 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

This tek and others can be found here:
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/22995

Offlinemidway
Stranger

Re: Two things that confuse me (Newbish Questions) [Re: Anno]
    #3517341 - 12/18/04 02:27 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

That syringe tek is a bit paranoid for my taste. Ive had decent success using a mask and lots of chemical antimicrobials..simply scrape print into solution using a sterile instrument in a very clean environment. 
I know theyre going to say that its playing with fire but . . .  :smirk:

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Two things that confuse me (Newbish Questions) [Re: midway]
    #3517344 - 12/18/04 02:28 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

This is playing with fire. :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder