Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Packing substrate in PF tek jars
    #3513161 - 12/17/04 12:41 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I've got pint jars that I'm ready to use in my second attempt to grow. The first trial started a LONG time ago (months) and I've just gotten my first couple of pins today. I want to start again with some spores I got from a Shroomery sponsor. I suspect that spore quality/quantity might have been part of the problem this last time.

I also want to try to speed things up a bit by using less substrate. Last time I tried not to pack the jars too tightly, but I did anyhow

So my question is: can I use less volume of substrate (PF tek, verm & brf) covered with half an inch or so of vermiculite and just leave air at the top of the jars? Or, should I fill half the volume with substrate, and fill the rest of the jar with straight vermiculite? Or, does anyone have any tips on how to fill jars without packing too tightly? That may sound dumb, but tight packing was almost certainly a problem for me last time.

Thanks for any advise. I plan to start tomorrow, after I give the place a good cleaning. If nobody has experience with this sort of thing I'll probably use all three methods and see which works best.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Packing substrate in PF tek jars [Re: mochillum]
    #3513225 - 12/17/04 01:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

just spoon the substrate in until it fills to the bottom ring before the threads start and fill it the rest of the way with verm.

works for me. :smile:

"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation