Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerunnerup
student

Loc: USA
fungas gnats wont go away
    #3503862 - 12/15/04 01:51 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Tried benificial nematodes, tride fungicide/insecticide from home deopt.

What eles can i do?

neem oil?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: fungas gnats wont go away [Re: runnerup]
    #3504707 - 12/15/04 04:33 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

BT will do the job it's a bacteria that will kill the grubs. One brand is thuricide but there are other brands. Go to a garden supply shop, I got mine at Lowe's, and ask for it. Most carry it. Mix it up and pour some on the soil. Repeat at least once a week to make sure you get rid of them.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlinerunnerup
student

Re: fungas gnats wont go away [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3504813 - 12/15/04 04:48 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks again stoney!

"BT Bacteria soultion" is what i should ask for?

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3504860 - 12/15/04 04:55 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i assumed you used BT or something like it, that stuff usually doesn't work cause people don't store it right, and you need to use it several times, there is the problem, you need to use it so often you end up drowning your plant , not even an option on cacti, but you shouldn't have the problem with cacti. :smirk:

first,
add a fan to your grow, and if you already have one, then get another,
aim the fan at your dirt, this which will do two things,
first it disrupts the baby fuckers as they crawl out of the soil and start to fly around,
second the fan will help dry your soil, which is too wet> therefore you have fungus gnats> attracted to rotting soil, hence the fungus in their name.

next you can try to use a small amount of dawn is soap, dawn cause the de-greasers will scorch the larvae. i have had better luck with dawn than with BT or other similar stuff.

also you can get yellow sticky cards that will attract the gnats to some specially engineered yellow color that apparently is specific to gnats and some other types of flies.

and last but not least everyone needs to go get some DIATOMATIOUS EARTH, this stuff is gold,
it is the stuff people use in swimming pool filters.
but you want the agriculture kind, it will kill any bug that crawls through it or eats it. you can put it on top of your soil to keep things from crawling in it, or you can water your soil with it, or you can spray your leaves with it. its what agriculture packs grains in so that bugs won't consume all their grains. did you know that on average you eat a bushel of bugs a year that come from food you eat. :wink:
DIATOMATIOUS EARTH it is harmless to human unless your snort a big line of it, or rub it in your eyes! :rolleyes:
i must post this cure three times a week...

and neem oil has apparently been banned by the government until they test certain safety concerns, i still see it on shelves but its been there a while cause new stuff isn't being sold.
:mad: :confused: :thumbdown:
i using mine very sparingly. i don't care if its bad it works too well.

if you use fans, yellow cards, and use some dawn soap when you water you can control the flies. and cut down on the amount you water. you soil need to transition from wet to kinda dry before you water again, if you water while the soil is too wet you will make a beautiful home for rot and gnats.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Re: fungas gnats wont go away [Re: zerozero]
    #3505182 - 12/15/04 05:43 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I have a gnat problem too. If you really want to get rid of them change your soil to a mix with no manure and making sure to clean the roots well and give them 2-3 days to dry out a bit.

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

Re: fungas gnats wont go away [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3505280 - 12/15/04 05:58 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

oh yeah, manure? fuck!! you guys don't need to use manure! thats a good way to get all kinds of nasty shit inside. pardon the pun.

fertilizers will work better anyway if you keep track of how much you use and try to not over do it.

and i have had luck with worm castings inside they seem to be less attractive to bugs and critters, manure is for your garden, or for weed. :smirk:

also you can aerate you soil with a stick, and if you remove the top two inches of soil and replace it with fresh dirt this can help, the flies stay in this area usually. careful not to bash the roots.

re-potting would always work as well, but make sure not to put the plants back in the same conditions as before or in a week you will be right back to where you were before.
and i couldn't recommend letting the plants dry out.
it is best to keep the shock down to get them directly into some fresh medium,
you could wash the roots but again its good to try to disturb the plant as little as possible, but if your roots are nasty and rotten a root pruning might be in order.

Offlinerunnerup
student

#3506149 - 12/15/04 08:24 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Im just going to keep them outside, use the nematodes/soap zero suggested and let nature do its thing. As zero suggested about the wind, I dont think they will be able to stand the S.F wind.

Will they be able to kill the plants? Or just harm them?

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3507101 - 12/15/04 11:54 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

no man, i think nematodes kinda suck, for several reasons.
but putting them outside will at least keep the fuckers out of your face. and they won't care about natural wind, i'm talking about a really strong wind that almost bends your plant over, and constant 24/7. they will love the sf wind.

the larvae can damage the little fibers on roots that take up h20, which will set back your plants. but constantly wet soil will cause rot, mold, and more fungi gnats to occure. its better to keep that soil optimum and not overwater, your plants will stuggle otherwise, and be more likely to get other more damaging bugs.

what kind of plants are we talking about.

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
    #3507418 - 12/16/04 02:01 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks a lot for that Diatomaceous Earth tip!

Offlinebmarley3434
wildwalker
Male User Gallery

Loc: nj
Re: fungas gnats wont go away [Re: faslimy]
    #3508194 - 12/16/04 10:10 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

do these chemicals ruin the ingestability of the plants used?

--------------------
www.returntonature.us - wild foods blog

OM

Offlinerunnerup
student

Re: fungas gnats wont go away [Re: bmarley3434]
    #3508259 - 12/16/04 10:28 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

seriously zerozero has some good posts!

I would imagine any pesticide would harm the ingestability of the plants but like when you go to the grocery store you want to wash them anyways.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #3508466 - 12/16/04 11:29 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

BT does work. I've used it after it was stored for years and it still worked fine. Drying the soil will help but once they are established it won't get rid of them. Neem may work also.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlinerunnerup
student

#3509122 - 12/16/04 02:36 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Plants have been outside and there is very little sign of gnats that i had before, probably because they are not flying all over the appartment. I am going to get that BT solution to try to get them 100% gone.

These are some small Potted salvia plants.

Edited by runnerup (12/16/04 02:39 PM)

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3509373 - 12/16/04 03:24 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i guess i was a little harsh on BT, but in my experience the BT that i have used wasn't enough to cure the fungi gnat problems that we were trying to fight( heavy infestation 100's of bugs flying around ) we researched the product and i guess it basically doesn't work anymore if you get it way hot or way cold, so we figured the stuff was damaged in shipping or in storage. but if it works for you then that's awesome.

and drying the top two inches of soil will really f the larvae up, won't cure the problem but that combined with any of the other treatments should kill a small infestation.

and Neem Oil will kill the hell out of bugs, and it's good for your soil. best stuff ever. that's why its banned in the USA. :smirk:

and none of the things we have talked about should be bad for you if you consume the plants, but as a rule of thumb i wouldn't want to eat stuff that has been sprayed within two weeks. and if you are buying bug sprays and they say for vegi's or fruit, then you're cool, anything else and you are taking a risk, course there are organic nuts that will tell you if its not 100% organic then it bad for you, but i know some 100% organic shit that will kill you dead. :smirk:

peace00

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #3509411 - 12/16/04 03:33 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I blasted the little buggers with neem oil for a week, just to destroy them, but it seemed some of them lived.

So I hit them for days, and then stopped and then hit them for days.....letting the soil fully dry out each time......and then as a precaution, to protect the cannabis seedlings , I took everything else(which is were the flys were concentrated anyway) out of the closet.......pedros, peyote, etc etc.

No more flys.

I think the key to killing them wasent just the neem oil........it was letting things dry out fully each time, remember these flys are really not the problem, its the larvae , and the larvae need wet conditions.

Good Luck, I hate these flys with a passion.

However, I have won this war, but the battle(future grows) rage on :smile:

(a little "neem cake"(neem oil in powder form) mixed in at the start can PREVENT problems with organic things like poo)

And Neem has a nice balance of 1-1-1, so its nice and safe. :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

Re: fungas gnats wont go away [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #3509421 - 12/16/04 03:36 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

you can make a slurry up and water the soil, bong, scorched larvae. :hellfire:

Offlinerunnerup
student

#3509441 - 12/16/04 03:41 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I cant dry it out tooo much because these are salvia.divinorium

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
    #3509462 - 12/16/04 03:46 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Couldn't you keep them alive by foliar feeding them while the larvae drys out?

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3509475 - 12/16/04 03:48 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

top inch or two of the soil not the root ball.

Offlinerunnerup
student

Re: fungas gnats wont go away [Re: faslimy]
    #3509480 - 12/16/04 03:50 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i dont want to give it to these guys too easy =P. Its a good idea but i think they will also harden up a little with the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order