Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSlite
Lost in Life
 User Gallery
Loc: UK
Salvia Pests
    #3508104 - 12/16/04 11:47 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, I have a large salvia plant growing in my room at the moment and I've noticed a large number of small flies all around the plant. I also left a plastic bottle underneath the plant over night and the next morning the rim was covered with hundreds of small white moving things (sorry best description I can give). Will these flies harm my plant? How can I get rid of them even if they don't (I have to sleep in this room and don't want tons of flies everywhere)?

The ends of some of the leaves are also turning brown and dying, even some new ones have small specks of deadness at the end. I thought that this could have been caused by underwatering but it hasn't been neglected for a few weeks now, is it still recovering or is something else wrong? Other than the dead bits and the flies the plant is doing well, lots of new leaves are appearing and last week it got too big for itself and fell over! I've tied it to a cane for the time being and am planning on taking cuttings soon.

Thanks for your help

--------------------
"You can either believe you can do something, or believe you can't.... either way your right"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinerunnerup
student

Loc: USA
Re: Salvia Pests [Re: Slite]
    #3508240 - 12/16/04 12:24 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hey you plant is going through some shock right now and those flies are most likley fungus gnats. I had the some problem on some other salvias. I just put them outside and let nature take care of it. Its been said you can use benificial nematodes to kill the pests.

I suggest

killing the flies with water + dish soap.
Change your soil
Leave in a dry or windy area that gets sun and is pretty warm
Its also a good idea to give your pant a Humidity tent.

You will notice the black foliage at the end of your leaves will turn a light brown. Thats when you can tell your plant is healing, then cut that stuff off.

InvisibleSlite
Lost in Life
 User Gallery
Loc: UK
Re: Salvia Pests [Re: runnerup]
    #3508301 - 12/16/04 12:42 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the suggestions. Do you mean washing every leaf and the stems with water and dish soap? I live in NW england (it's very windy but not too warm) and it's getting frosty at nights now, would it be a bad idea to put my plant outside? Could I just put it outside for a few hours and it would still help get rid of the gnats?

Thanks

--------------------
"You can either believe you can do something, or believe you can't.... either way your right"

Offlinenamaste
RuNnINg OwL
 User Gallery

Loc: Fiddler's Green
Re: Salvia Pests [Re: runnerup]
    #3508302 - 12/16/04 12:42 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

There is also a tek for tobbacco tea. You'll have to search for it, the way i remember it was a package of pipe tobbacco plus 1 cup boiling water, strain and let cool. Should kill those bugs good.

--------------------

Offlinerunnerup
student

Loc: USA
Re: Salvia Pests [Re: namaste]
    #3508348 - 12/16/04 12:56 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hey slite,

That might be good if you have good winds, although mobility isn't something i like to do it my plants going into shock, it just adds to the shock. I would suggest putting the plant by a window and maybe place a fan by the window with the window open. Face the fan towards the soil so the gnats don't get back on the soil to lay larva.

also. don't wash your leaves with soap. but mist them with water! and let the soil dry out a little. but keep your leaves misted. the bad thing about this is since your plant is going into shock from its roots getting torn up by the larva its hard to give it a humidity tent because the bugs will just regenerate.

Depending on how bad your situation is. I have heard of people placing a potato wedge on the top of there soil to attract the larvae to the wedge instead of the roots.

I have not heard of the tabaco tea. I will have to try it sometime.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Salvia

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden