Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineThe_Surrealist
Dreamer

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Really depressing shroom trip.
    #3506031 - 12/15/04 08:06 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I had a really depressing mushroom trip a while back, and while it is hard to explain, I will do my best.
In many ways it was similar to sre2f's: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3497934/an/0/page/0
The best way I can describe what I experienced was being able to see things for what they really are. Everything I did or saw seemed so literal and trivial, I would run or toss a rock and I would see it for what it really was - matter moving through the air. I was camping with some friends at the time and I remember thinking "what the hell are we doing? just sitting out in the bush? poking at a fire?" It was as if I couldn't get enjoyment out of anything because I saw it not from the eyes of a sentient being, but rather through some external viewpoint. I saw humans just as every other species - insignificant, passing away the hours in meaningless ways until we die. I remember looking over to my friend and thinking "look at him, just sitting by the fire, consuming liquid, a big mass of organic material who's only purpose is to exist." We are just like any other animal, running about trying to keep itself alive until its brain functions eventually shut down. Well, thankfully I don't feel this way on a daily basis, but it makes me nervous about shrooms, afraid of being, for lack of a better term, TOO enlightened.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
Re: Really depressing shroom trip. [Re: The_Surrealist]
    #3506073 - 12/15/04 08:14 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

wow what a drag man
sorry to hear that
i pften think the same things when im tripping only they make me pretty freakin euphoric :laugh:
i see the magisty of the complicated art that is life
i find it fun to watch the cosmic dance between matter and energy on shrooms

--------------------

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Really depressing shroom trip. [Re: notapillow]
    #3506095 - 12/15/04 08:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You end up learning more from the bad ones sometimes....maybe after some reflection you'll figure out how this trip fits into the grand scheme of your life...

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Loc: The Dark Tower
    #3506105 - 12/15/04 08:18 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Well that sounds like a bit of a bummer. When I have experiences such as those it is awakening. The extreme negativety seems to boost me up on the other side. I try to find new light after having to deal with such darkness so to speak.

On a side note. Perhaps we are just as every other species, with no real purpose here. Is that such a terrible thing? We are here to experience, which given the right attitude, is quite easy to accomplish. Our planet is but a speck of dust in the arena that is our universe. To think that we, living on a mere speck of dust, have some great purpose is a bit *cocky*.

In any case, sorry for the bad trip, but keep your head up. Make good of the situation and try not to let it bog you down next time you decide to endulge.

PS cocky wasnt the word I wanted to use, but Im tipsy and cant think of the right word. Someone give me a clue... I feel dumb now :frown:
hmmm maybe pretentious, I dunno

--------------------
Anjaba said:
Oh shit, don't drink it.... It would eat away your esophagus...
mantis said:
Leave me out of this pissing contest, you fascist wang-dang-doodle!
Hattori Hanzo said:
If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut

Edited by beejay (12/15/04 08:22 PM)

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
Re: Really depressing shroom trip. [Re: Hooty]
    #3506107 - 12/15/04 08:19 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah Hooty, that's what tends to happen to me when I have a confusing trip. It takes a while, and months later I'll look back on it, and it will have been just what I needed. :heart:

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

OfflineThe_Surrealist
Dreamer

Re: Really depressing shroom trip. [Re: beejay]
    #3506147 - 12/15/04 08:24 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

beejay said:

To think that we, living on a mere speck of dust, have some great purpose is a bit cocky.

Well, it wasn't so much about lack of purpose, rather that every day actions that usually seemed enjoyable turned trivial.
But yes, I will admit, I am glad I had it. I think it really helped me put human beings in perspective. We aren't any different or better than any other species, we merely have better "toys," so to speak.

--------------------

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

#3506157 - 12/15/04 08:26 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

TOYS RULE!

--------------------
Anjaba said:
mantis said:
Hattori Hanzo said:

OfflineThe_Surrealist
Dreamer

#3506178 - 12/15/04 08:29 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

beejay said:
TOYS RULE!

True, where would we be without our toys? Prob in the trees throwing feces at each other...

--------------------

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

#3506199 - 12/15/04 08:33 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

We surely wouldnt be able to reach out to so many like minded people, which would suck. I personally enjoy the world for what it is... AMAZING! Sure us humies have done fucked ole mother earth up quite a bit, but I have faith that when it comes down to it, she'll take back what is hers. In the mean time I try to enjoy all that is avaliable without fucking whats left up.

--------------------
Anjaba said:
mantis said:
Hattori Hanzo said:

OfflineThe_Surrealist
Dreamer

#3506242 - 12/15/04 08:41 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

beejay said:
Sure us humies have done fucked ole mother earth up quite a bit, but I have faith that when it comes down to it, she'll take back what is hers.

I agree with you on this, humans certainly aren't eternal - our time will come, and when it does, I'm sure natural world will reign again. But nevertheless, for the time being, it still saddens me to see the Earth in the sorry shape that it is.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #3506299 - 12/15/04 08:52 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

The_Surrealist said:
I had a really depressing mushroom trip a while back, and while it is hard to explain, I will do my best.
In many ways it was similar to sre2f's: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3497934/an/0/page/0
The best way I can describe what I experienced was being able to see things for what they really are. Everything I did or saw seemed so literal and trivial, I would run or toss a rock and I would see it for what it really was - matter moving through the air. I was camping with some friends at the time and I remember thinking "what the hell are we doing? just sitting out in the bush? poking at a fire?" It was as if I couldn't get enjoyment out of anything because I saw it not from the eyes of a sentient being, but rather through some external viewpoint. I saw humans just as every other species - insignificant, passing away the hours in meaningless ways until we die. I remember looking over to my friend and thinking "look at him, just sitting by the fire, consuming liquid, a big mass of organic material who's only purpose is to exist." We are just like any other animal, running about trying to keep itself alive until its brain functions eventually shut down. Well, thankfully I don't feel this way on a daily basis, but it makes me nervous about shrooms, afraid of being, for lack of a better term, TOO enlightened.

I think the lesson you learned was that there is no "purpose" to life other than what you give it. Now all you have to do is decide what you think the best use of your existence is.

"Now that you found another key, what are you going to play?" - "Baby You're A Rich Man"

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
    #3506308 - 12/15/04 08:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yep, you experienced the true meaning - nothing

it won't last, the brain eventually makes up some attatchments which will tak eyour mind of the fact that nothing means anything and you will die and infinity will wash over everything for ever and ever and ever

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3506372 - 12/15/04 09:07 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

We are just like any other animal, running about trying to keep itself alive until its brain functions eventually shut down.

I believe this to be true, and I still think life is wonderful. We're just a bunch of protein material that replicated itself over and over until out of sheer chance it came together in huge complex systems that replicate themselves...

but we can have fun! Life can be a blast! There's all kinds of great things we can do. You just need to find somethings you love doing, and do them.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineThe_Surrealist
Dreamer

Re: Really depressing shroom trip. [Re: Phluck]
    #3506417 - 12/15/04 09:19 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
We're just a bunch of protein material that replicated itself over and over until out of sheer chance it came together in huge complex systems that replicate themselves...

but we can have fun! Life can be a blast! There's all kinds of great things we can do. You just need to find somethings you love doing, and do them.

Thankfully, the whole ordeal was merely temporary. I am usually a very happy individual, and I look at things from that point of view regularly. Just for those 3 or 4 hours or so...

--------------------

Offlineemtlogic
Stranger
    #9827851 - 02/19/09 05:08 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I had the same experience the last time I tripped.  Before that last trip I had the privilege of living my life mostly through the viewpoint of an optimistic hippy, where it still didn't matter to me if life was meaningless and without purpose because life was amazing, and full of awesome people and great things to experience.  And while I've been trying to get back to this viewpoint, I still keep on returning to this really depressing view of life and existence where it doesn't matter what you do, everything is just a meaningless distraction designed to keep you occupied until you die - there's nothing "amazing" about it, its just a distraction to keep you from realizing how terrible and insignificant life really is.  And while I fully realize that life is more or less what you make it - if you believe your life to be an amazing time full of wonderful experiences you will perceive it as so - I can't make myself see the world like this again because to me, pretending that the world is amazing and always looking for a good time seems to be just another distraction.  So that anything you do for stimulation or you think is fun is actually just another illusion and another distraction - whether its watching tv, going to shows, eating mushrooms, going to church, or conducting scientific research - everyone pursues the distraction that is the most stimulating and most gratifying for them.  So all these "great things we can do" are just distractions in the ugliest sense of the word, no better or more worthwhile than wasting time twiddling your thumbs or playing solitaire on the computer, its all just wasting time and keeping ourselves occupied until the end of our consciousness.  And if everything, EVERYTHING we do is just a way to pass the time, never truly "fun", never as great as we try to convince ourselves it is, just distracting enough, what's the point of it?  And I know the obvious response to this is that "there is no point, the point is what you make it, so have fun!" but If you believe that all fun is an illusion, what do you do once you can no longer see the illusion?  When you see a campfire for what it objectively is - a group of mammals experiencing various degrees of food poison -  when you only see the "truth", so to speak, and can no longer enjoy the distraction, whatever it may be, in the moment?  Is this depression? Or just a realization of the way things actually are?  Is all depression in one form or another a realization of the way things are?  Do anti-depressants just help to restore the illusion?  Now thankfully my brain is too committed to self preservation to allow myself to dwell on this realization for long and I do thoroughly enjoy my life, (I can usually slip back into the illusion) and I'm still not fully convinced that all of life and existence is self-deception, but the idea still troubles me, and I've yet to hear of any theory or rationalization that has managed to convince me otherwise.  Any thoughts?

Offlinesam420
CertifiedReptilianOverlord
 User Gallery

Loc: Scotland
Re: Really depressing shroom trip. [Re: emtlogic]
    #9827913 - 02/19/09 05:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

emtlogic said:
I had the same experience the last time I tripped.  Before that last trip I had the privilege of living my life mostly through the viewpoint of an optimistic hippy, where it still didn't matter to me if life was meaningless and without purpose because life was amazing, and full of awesome people and great things to experience.  And while I've been trying to get back to this viewpoint, I still keep on returning to this really depressing view of life and existence where it doesn't matter what you do, everything is just a meaningless distraction designed to keep you occupied until you die - there's nothing "amazing" about it, its just a distraction to keep you from realizing how terrible and insignificant life really is.  And while I fully realize that life is more or less what you make it - if you believe your life to be an amazing time full of wonderful experiences you will perceive it as so - I can't make myself see the world like this again because to me, pretending that the world is amazing and always looking for a good time seems to be just another distraction.  So that anything you do for stimulation or you think is fun is actually just another illusion and another distraction - whether its watching tv, going to shows, eating mushrooms, going to church, or conducting scientific research - everyone pursues the distraction that is the most stimulating and most gratifying for them.  So all these "great things we can do" are just distractions in the ugliest sense of the word, no better or more worthwhile than wasting time twiddling your thumbs or playing solitaire on the computer, its all just wasting time and keeping ourselves occupied until the end of our consciousness.  And if everything, EVERYTHING we do is just a way to pass the time, never truly "fun", never as great as we try to convince ourselves it is, just distracting enough, what's the point of it?  And I know the obvious response to this is that "there is no point, the point is what you make it, so have fun!" but If you believe that all fun is an illusion, what do you do once you can no longer see the illusion?  When you see a campfire for what it objectively is - a group of mammals experiencing various degrees of food poison -  when you only see the "truth", so to speak, and can no longer enjoy the distraction, whatever it may be, in the moment?  Is this depression? Or just a realization of the way things actually are?  Is all depression in one form or another a realization of the way things are?  Do anti-depressants just help to restore the illusion?  Now thankfully my brain is too committed to self preservation to allow myself to dwell on this realization for long and I do thoroughly enjoy my life, (I can usually slip back into the illusion) and I'm still not fully convinced that all of life and existence is self-deception, but the idea still troubles me, and I've yet to hear of any theory or rationalization that has managed to convince me otherwise.  Any thoughts?

Man use paragraphs I'm way too baked to read that

--------------------
:duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead:

i'm a spy huntin rap dinosaur from the future

InvisibleAlec_Baldwin
Reigning On High
 User Gallery

Re: Really depressing shroom trip. [Re: sam420]
    #9827930 - 02/19/09 05:19 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Definitely why I don't eat mushrooms or any hallucinogen for that matter.

Everything that was super awesome about tripping doesn't happen anymore.

Maybe in the future I'll learn to enjoy it occasionally but who knows.

--------------------
Tune in, Freak out, Get Beaten.

Offlineemtlogic
Stranger
Re: Really depressing shroom trip. [Re: sam420]
    #9827992 - 02/19/09 05:27 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

-haha sorry man, i wasn't thinking in paragraphs. hope this is better           

I had the same experience the last time I tripped.  Before that last trip I had the privilege of living my life mostly through the viewpoint of an optimistic hippy, where it still didn't matter to me if life was meaningless and without purpose because life was amazing, and full of awesome people and great things to experience.  And while I've been trying to get back to this viewpoint, I still keep on returning to this really depressing view of life and existence where it doesn't matter what you do, everything is just a meaningless distraction designed to keep you occupied until you die - there's nothing "amazing" about it, its just a distraction to keep you from realizing how terrible and insignificant life really is. 
          And while I fully realize that life is more or less what you make it - if you believe your life to be an amazing time full of wonderful experiences you will perceive it as so - I can't make myself see the world like this again because to me, pretending that the world is amazing and always looking for a good time seems to be just another distraction.  So that anything you do for stimulation or you think is fun is actually just another illusion and another distraction - whether its watching tv, going to shows, eating mushrooms, going to church, or conducting scientific research - everyone pursues the distraction that is the most stimulating and most gratifying for them.  So all these "great things we can do" are just distractions in the ugliest sense of the word, no better or more worthwhile than wasting time twiddling your thumbs or playing solitaire on the computer, its all just wasting time and keeping ourselves occupied until the end of our consciousness. 
          And if everything, EVERYTHING we do is just a way to pass the time, never truly "fun", never as great as we try to convince ourselves it is, just distracting enough, what's the point of it?  And I know the obvious response to this is that "there is no point, the point is what you make it, so have fun!" but If you believe that all fun is an illusion, what do you do once you can no longer see the illusion?  When you see a campfire for what it objectively is - a group of mammals experiencing various degrees of food poison -  when you only see the "truth", so to speak, and can no longer enjoy the distraction, whatever it may be, in the moment?  Is this depression? Or just a realization of the way things actually are?  Is all depression in one form or another a realization of the way things are?  Do anti-depressants just help to restore the illusion? 
            Now thankfully my brain is too committed to self preservation to allow myself to dwell on this realization for long and I do thoroughly enjoy my life, (I can usually slip back into the illusion) and I'm still not fully convinced that all of life and existence is self-deception, but the idea still troubles me, and I've yet to hear of any theory or rationalization that has managed to convince me otherwise.  Any thoughts?

OfflineChris1093
Stranger
Male
Re: Really depressing shroom trip. [Re: emtlogic]
    #11479226 - 11/18/09 03:16 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I had a trip just like this a few weeks ago. It made me really depressed. I am still trying to get happy again and its tough. I have these breakthrough moments of happiness but then its just back to being sad. I'm glad I am not the only one to have a trip like this. I really want to trip again, but right now I am way to scared about having another trip like this.:sad:

OfflineEnvix
Avoidant Disorder
 User Gallery

#11479253 - 11/18/09 03:22 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The_Surrealist said:
Everything I did or saw seemed so literal and trivial, I would run or toss a rock and I would see it for what it really was - matter moving through the air. I was camping with some friends at the time and I remember thinking "what the hell are we doing? just sitting out in the bush? poking at a fire?" It was as if I couldn't get enjoyment out of anything because I saw it not from the eyes of a sentient being, but rather through some external viewpoint. I saw humans just as every other species - insignificant, passing away the hours in meaningless ways until we die. I remember looking over to my friend and thinking "look at him, just sitting by the fire, consuming liquid, a big mass of organic material who's only purpose is to exist." We are just like any other animal, running about trying to keep itself alive until its brain functions eventually shut down.

I feel like that all the time.

--------------------
smack a hoe out this dimension
continue my ascension
-bhad bhabie

rip. todcasil, acid sloth, st1llnox, zappaisgod, big worm (sketch), tim b

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag