Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHermes_br
~~~
 User Gallery

Valeriana officinalis tincture tek
    #3504279 - 12/15/04 03:36 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Some facts:

There are around 200 species of Valerian, though few have medicinal value and only Valeriana officinalis has documented clinical efficacy.
The used parts when dried have a strong odor resembling a mix of feet, tobbaco and shit. :crazy:
It?s roots and rhizomes are dried at temps below 40 Celsius, in onder to avoid the degradation of it?s active molecules.( that?s why making a tea is not recomended).
These active chemicals can either be lipophilic or hydrophilic,so a hydroalcoholic solution should be used for the extraction.
It?s pharmacology is not well understood, but it?s known that some of it?s chemicals act by inhibiting the enzymatic system responsable for the degradation of GABA(gamma-amino butyric acid), this leads to a increase of the concentration of GABA in the brain, which is associated with a diminished activity of  the CNS or sedation.

The major healing components found in the valerian root are valepotrits, valeranic acid, valeranone, valereal. These are all volatile oils. Other volatile oils in the root such as pineole, borneol, cineole, carophilene, and azulene. All of these oils exert anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, and nerve-calming effects on the body. In addition, the root contains alkaloids that are known to relieve pain and relax the body. Other ingredients found in the root include rutin, beta sitosterol, salicylic acid, and choline.

Indications: Anxiety, nervous exhaustion, irritability, insomnia, psychic disturbs due to pre-menstrual tension and menopause, palpitations, digestive disturbs, antispasmodic and muscular relaxant, seizure disorders, mild sedative, pain reliever, anti-inflammatory, antiemetic, carminative, antihypertensive, and antibacterial.

Making the ticture: (how I make mine)

Mix 60% of grain alcohol with 40% of water = hydroalcoholic solution. (HAS), or use a high proof vodka.
  • Put 80 grams of valerian roots/rhizomes in 200 mls  of HAS (the valerian should be grinded first into smaller fragments but not to a powder). Let is soak for about 3-4 days shaking it eventually. Leave it in a dark place, at room temp.
  • now drain everything with a bolter over a glass pot, put the plant matter in a potato masher and squeeze it very well. Put the valerian back in the HAS/ticture and let soak for more 2-3 days (shaking it eventually).
  • Now repeat the draining and squeezing process, BUT now separate the ticture.

Note: I was unable to get the whole 200ml of  HAS back because some alcohol evaporates and some will still be in the valerian even with a good squeezing,( in fact I?ve gotten a little over 100 ml.)
  • Now add more 100 ml of virgin HAS to that valerian and let soak for 1-2 days, drain/squeeze and combine the two solutions, if there is less than 200 ml , adjust it to 200 ml by adding more HAS.
    It already can be used,  but It?s not done yet, because there are suspended particles in the ticture, so put it in a small glass bottle and let it rest for 12 hours.
  • Using a small hose, syphon the tincture leaving the sediments on the botton, adjust to 200 ml again and it is ready.

Dosing:
    Lets suppose that for each ml there are roughly 0.4 grams of extracted valerian , or 80 grams/200ml HAS = 0.4g/ml, I?ve read somewhere that the recomended dose can be between 1 to 10 grams But please check that yourself.

Final notes:
    For valerian roots the stinkier the better, in another words, it indicates the potency of the herb.
    I believe Valerian can became a addiction so one should not take it daily for too long.
    That is my Xmas contribution to this wonderful gathering of minds.  :thumbup: :stoned:

• Edited by Hermes_br (12/17/04 04:11 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
    Offlinefelixhigh
    Scientist
    Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    Re: Valeriana officinalis tincture tek [Re: Hermes_br]
        #3504796 - 12/15/04 04:45 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

very cool neighbor! =)

FH

Offlinejackgreen
    JG
    Male
    Re: Valeriana officinalis tincture tek [Re: felixhigh]
        #3505177 - 12/15/04 05:41 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Is this for pain relief, what exactly are the effects you seek?

Offlinekadakuda
    The Great"Green".......East
     User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    Re: Valeriana officinalis tincture tek [Re: jackgreen]
        #3505618 - 12/15/04 06:56 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

sleep.

very cool, one of my fav ethno's.  if one wishes to call them that.  thanks for posting :smile:

--------------------
    The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleHermes_br
    ~~~
     User Gallery

Re: Valeriana officinalis tincture tek [Re: kadakuda]
        #3505680 - 12/15/04 07:03 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I've edited to add the indications and the chemical names.

thanks guys for the kind words. :thumbup:

InvisibleHermes_br
    ~~~
     User Gallery

Re: Valeriana officinalis tincture tek [Re: jackgreen]
        #3505780 - 12/15/04 07:21 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

check, Indications  :thumbup:

Edited by Hermes_br (12/17/04 04:06 AM)

OfflineBorgFace
    PEENTASTIC
    Loc: Australia
    Re: Valeriana officinalis tincture tek [Re: Hermes_br]
        #3506456 - 12/15/04 09:28 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Valerian is a wonderful herb, and this is a wonderful tek.

Thanks for the information!

--------------------
    Give me an ounce of civet, good apothecary, to sweeten my imagination!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies