Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinedruqks46
its dat woowoo
Loc: trees
Taking up bass again
    #3504154 - 12/15/04 03:11 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I bought a marcus miller cd the other day and it made me think. Wow, thats what has been missing in my life, playing bass. I had started playing about 2 and a half years ago, and it only lasted about a year before i was forced to quit my lessons (parents saw how horrible iw as doing in school). I still have my bass and practice amp sitting idle. For christmas im pretty sure i will be getting lessons as a present from my parents since my grades are so good this semester in college. woot! had to share my joy!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Taking up bass again [Re: druqks46]
    #3504181 - 12/15/04 03:19 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

lessons are good and all.. but they will only take you so far. Personally, I am self taught and so is everyone else in my band (though I did already know how to read music and knew some theory from when I was younger and played saxaphone)

I suggest getting a couple of good books on scales, modes, theory... and whatnot. A good one is Bass Grimoire.. another good one escapes my name at the moment. Just learn some scales and whatnot.. and practice, practice, practice. That's the only way to get good.. practice.

--------------------

Offlinedruqks46
its dat woowoo
Re: Taking up bass again [Re: Shroomism]
    #3504405 - 12/15/04 03:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I plan on playing some funk, jazz, and some hip hop. I really want to learn theory and how to improvise. I will take your suggestion on getting a book such as the bass grimoire. whenever i go to guitar center (sucks!), they barely have any bass books. _Practice i will do and tons of it!

Offlinedruqks46
its dat woowoo
    #3504410 - 12/15/04 03:54 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Im retarded, i got giddy and posted this in the pub. could a mod please move this to the music etc. section?

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #3504636 - 12/15/04 04:25 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

okies..
yeah guitar center sucks for bass books.. you might want to try a bookstore..

--------------------

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: Taking up bass again [Re: Shroomism]
    #3505394 - 12/15/04 06:12 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah man! nice

I've been playing bass around 5 years now, just for fun really but I play it everyday quite a lot and thats all it takes. Just get to know that fret board like it was an extension of your body and you won't even have to think about playing. it's great thing to have when ur bored

Offlinedruqks46
its dat woowoo
Re: Taking up bass again [Re: faslimy]
    #3505416 - 12/15/04 06:16 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I have so much time on my hands right now. I live with my parents while going to community college. i dont have a social life really. i think playing bass will open up another dimension for me.

faslimy, are you self taught or do you have a teacher? The teacher i had when i first started was alright, but started me out on tab and learning blah songs at a snails pace. i want to be able to create my own music, not play money by pink floyd for four weeks.

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
    #3505737 - 12/15/04 07:14 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

For my first year I had a teacher who fits your description, tabs only. Still I learnt enough form him not to go back. I used to be friends with 2 excellent guitar players who I played in a band with and watched for quite a while. I learnt a lot from those guys and they certainly upped my game.

You can download some of their music at this link http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~samba/

Still though I'm lazy and I don't pursue theory enough, which would really open my palette up a bit and make me good enough to pick up jam and gig with bands. Right now I just mess around, no bands or anything, no amp even

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #3505905 - 12/15/04 07:42 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I am self taught aswell..I wanted to take lessons for a while and have still been considering picking up a couple books or taking a course or something to get a grip on my theory, sheet music feels almost like some kind of foreign language to me and other than regular tabliture I haven't really worked with it much at all yet unfortunately.. other than that though I've been pretty happy with how my technique has evolved over the years, I feel I am basically at the point now where if I hear something I'd like to learn, in my mind it's not really a matter of 'man I wish I could play like that.."  the mentallity has changed to become not so much a matter of wishful thinking..it is a matter of making the conscious effort to do what it takes to do whatever it is I want to push myself to do..because sooner or later me, you, or anybody can and will continue reaching new heights in abillity so long as the person in question truely wants it.  I started out playing punk, though not much longer down the road my main influences bass-wise quickly expanded, Primus and the Chili Peppers were among my main influences - listening to them and mimicking their songs/styles basically helped build a foundation to work with, a foundation in which I became much less limited than when I was playing punk music most of the time...

Now days when in a focused enough state of mind, from my vantage point the bass can sometimes hardly be described as just a 'bass' anymore, I guess I would consider it to almost be like an extention of myself in a way..a voice. I'm normally a pretty quiet person, not one to talk alot or express myself with words very often..but plugged in if somebody is nearby and I am jamming away with my mind completely focused on something and they happen to be listening it can feel almost like they are basically tapping into my mood or something..my feelings..me, at that moment.  Like I am completely naked.  I tend to keep alot of the stuff I play to myself.. That instrument is one of the best ways for me to express myself to degrees I probably could never match using ye old english language.  Not that the English language is entirely too limiting, I just tend to suck with words and the whole vocabulary thing due to a very annoying case of ADD/dyslexia for which I refuse to take 'medication' for.. But anyway all in all I guess music and especially the bass guitar are basically my main outlets for expression.  I love it. 

Much luck bro..never forget that music holds no boundaries - take advantage  :heart: :heart: :heart:

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
    #3506595 - 12/15/04 10:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

For me the best way to practice is jam with a guitar or drummer. I've been playing bass for about 4 years now and am not all that great but I love just sittin around and jammin with a bud over a some beers. If you can find somebody with patience and skill to bear with your inexperience it is the best way to learn/practice IMO. Not only do you get to practice your fret skills but its great for your timing as practicing solo without lessons (never had any myself) allows for some pretty ugly habits that can be hard to break.

Of course you need to practice alone sometimes because there isn't always people around to jam with but I would suggest trying to hook up with somebody as often as possible. Your can alway learn from somebody else too.

Keep it up man, the bass is the best instrument out there and once your comfortable with it you'll enjoy it for a lifetime

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

Offlinedruqks46
its dat woowoo
Re: Taking up bass again [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #3508165 - 12/16/04 10:02 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

My reasoning for getting a teacher is to keep myself away from bad habits. I now know what im looking for in terms of learning the instrument and what i want to get out of it. YEs, i do believe in getting together with others will make you better than shredding on your own. This will help my social life,as i tis lacking, by getting me out of the house and jamming with others.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #3508717 - 12/16/04 12:51 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yes that's something I forgot to mention.. jamming with other musicians is key.. not only does it improve your improvisational technique but also increases your adaptability and I am convinced it's one of the fastest ways to get better at your instrument. Couple that with practice time alone, spent learning some basic fingering patterns, scales, modes, and whatever else you feel like learning.. and pretty soon you'll be able to play all kinds of stuff without hardly thinking about it.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom