Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
problems with cakes
    #3502450 - 12/15/04 07:25 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hello fellow growers. I have looked for any answers all over shroomery.org but have found nothing. My apologies for my bad English, and for my failed attempt to find answers to these simple questions. I hope you will bear over with me. Thank you.

Not so long ago i made my first cakes. The colonization went fine and i put the cakes in the grow box. i had 5 cm of perlite but i kept the temperature at 25 decrees C and an air humidity around 90-100% variation over time.
The problem is that my cakes just don't really want to give birth.
In the beginning the cakes took along time to make primadorians, they made allot of them but there was a very high rate of aborts. Each cake only made 2-3 full grown mushrooms in the first flush. I harvested the mushrooms and waited for the second birthing. Now 3 weeks have passed, and still nothing have happened, no new primadorians or anything. The cakes seem to be dead.

Can it really be that each cake will only produce 2 mushrooms in avg?

I have considered different kind of possibilities for my failure.

First of all, in the top of the jar during the colonization i leave 0.5 cm of dry vermiculite for isolation. When i take the cakes out i place them upside down in the grow box so they are standing on the top vermiculite, and not the mycelia. ( should they be as in the jar, or upside down? to me it seems a bad idea letting them stand on the mycelia )

2nd: I never succeeded in finding big jars without a neck, so i am using jars of only 250 ml, which in the end makes the cakes only 200 ml big in volume. Could it be that they are to small?

3rd: When making the mixture, i used a precise mixture of half vermiculite, 1/4 brown rice flour, 1/4 water. Could it be that this mixture is to dense, not containing enough water/air? The cakes do seem quite dry and they are to dense for injecting with a water-dextrose solution.

The last possibility i can think of is that the grow box varies to much in humidity. The vermiculite is to effective, i have to leave the lit a little bit off, so either the humidity is 100%, or ending up on some 70%.

Thank you for any answer you can give.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
monkey-see'ermonkey do'er
Re: problems with cakes [Re: frankp_live2]
    #3502492 - 12/15/04 07:38 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

are you giving them fresh air exchange ??

"Instead of a war on poverty, they have a war on so the police can bother me."- Tupac Shakur

Yo Mama

Re: problems with cakes [Re: kell]
    #3502519 - 12/15/04 07:47 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like you are doing things right, you just need to dunk your cakes in cold water for 24 hours inbetween flushes. This insures your cakes are hydrated enough to push out some more nice size shrooms. Your cakes use water a lot faster than they use the nutrients. Dunk them inbetween flushes. After you dunk, roll the cake in dry vermiculite, place back in your terrarium and mist down with clean water. Keep temps at 70-75F, and fan 2-3 times a day. You should do fine.

Your cake mix is fine, thats the standard PF Tek ratio.

Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.

Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: problems with cakes [Re: Lifenergy]
    #3502536 - 12/15/04 07:54 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

bit lower temp is not bad 21-23 C

place the cake up side down in fruiting chamber (verm layer down)

fresh air exchange (wave with piece of cardboard or buy an airpump, if you put that in the perlite also humidity is fixed)

what kind of hydrometer do u use?

Next time dunk the cakes in water (with a bit (max 10%) of H2O2 3%) for 12-24 hours but not longer then 24.
After that roll them in DRY verm, put in fruiting chamber and spray the dry verm till its moist (not soaking)

Good luck :thumbup:

Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Re: problems with cakes [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3502666 - 12/15/04 09:04 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Lifenergy said:
you just need to dunk your cakes in cold water for 24 hours inbetween flushes.

K3y :thumbup:
They are stalling from lack of moisture.
Fill jars with a 10% h2o2 solution and chill for 12-24 hrs before 1st birthday.
Dunk in same and roll in verm after each flush.

"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Edited by LouiseLouise (12/15/04 09:05 AM)

Re: problems with cakes [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #3504522 - 12/15/04 06:09 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

If theres any bluing you've got a water prob. are these double end cased? I wouldn't go injecting any additives in your cake like dextrose its just a invite for contams to set in at your injection point. and like the other said dunk them for sure.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation