Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekingcobra
Stranger
Some simple questions about casing phase
    #350051 - 06/27/01 01:02 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I have some simple questions that I hope y'all could help me with, in order of importance. Even if you can only answer once, it would really make my day, since I am about to start casing and this is really worrying me:

1) The PF guide says that aborted caps are really the most potent and that you should pick them before they go black. By the same logic, are the normal sized mushrooms just as potent while they are still growing, as opposed to when they are done growing and the cap begins to open? If so, can I just pick them all after four days (or so) of growing? If not, how do I know when to pick?

2) Does moving the terrarium (a large tupperware container with perlite and Sea of Shrooms-style cup casings) harm the mushrooms? I know that moving plants is not good for them, not sure if this wisdom applies.

3) As my terrarium, I am using a 50 qt Sterlite container. I had success with a similar rubbermaid container in the past, but I have no point of comparison so I think I need to ask: The container is not air-tight, the lid is a little loose. Is this important? Also, the sides are clear but the lid is opaque. Will the mushrooms get sufficient light or should I try to improvise a top that is transparent? If I need to make a lid, how would I do this?

4) I have access to finely crushed (not coarse) oyster shells and hydrated lime. However, they are about an hour away. Is the Ryche Hawke 50/50+ casing mixture that much better than plain 50/50 that I should go an hour out of my way to pick up the fine oyster shells?

TIA!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehatter
addict
Re: Some simple questions about casing phase [Re: kingcobra]
    #350074 - 06/27/01 01:27 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

1) Pick your normal growing shrooms when the veil begins to stretch just before it tears for max. potency...Assuming you got an even pinset without any latent stragglers, you'll usually end up harvesting the entire flush at pretty much the same time..

2) Moving across the room? Fine..Moving to a different location? Be careful..

3) Not important as long as it closes ok...the light will be fine(I use a transparent container, too).

4) Are you sure they aren't closer to you? A nursury or hardware store perhaps? I would suggest the 50/50+ over 50/50. The oyster shell will add tenacity and the lime will neutralize the casing.

Hey, think of all the hours out of your way that your babies are gonna take you...I think it is a fair trade!

Good Luck...

How is a raven like a writing desk?

How deep is the rabbit hole? To find out, go.to/FreeSporeRing

--------------------
How is a raven like a writing desk?

How deep is the rabbit hole? To find out, go.to/FreeSporeRing

Offlineauto59009
enthusiast
Loc: Australia
Re: Some simple questions about casing phase [Re: kingcobra]
    #350209 - 06/27/01 04:34 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

hey man to attempt to anser ur q's;

1) anhorts will become quite obvious to you :smile: mushrooms that continue to grow do not LOSE potency after the veil breaks they just do not continue to produce active constituents. optimal time is as the veil is starting to stretch/break.

2) hmmmm don't think so? i move things all the time... even plants! especially indoor plants... but then again mushrooms aren't plants so don't always apply the same logic :smile:

3) don't worry about airtight! i wasted my time trying all kinda ways to make mine airtight like i thought it had to be... bought a hygrometer :smile: turns out even quite a loose covering will maintain 90+ humidity which is fine for casings. about the light, ps.cu. is phototropic. it needs only a millisecond of good light to tell it to initiate mushroom production. i believe that in nature this is so the mycellium knows when it has reached the surface and should begin producing mushrooms and thereby spores to reproduce. i have always used ambient room light in totally transparent containers... so u may want to try and swap that opaque lid for something else... try a few casings first and see tho!

4) man, an hour! 24 hours in a day, 168 in a week, 8760 in a year... i know that i DEFINITELY would :smile: never been able to try the crushed oyster but lime alone makes and pretty big difference and helps to lower contamination rates... i would think that mycellium would just love grit texture of shell in their casings! why not man... its one hour out of a likely 700800!!!

hope i was some help at least!

I am a compulsive liar :wink:
http://go.to/FreeSporeRing
http://www.lilshopofspores.com
http://www.shaman-australis.com/shroom

--------------------
I am a compulsive liar :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck