Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFrappy
Strange

Loc: South Florida
Re-inoculate?
    #3502085 - 12/15/04 04:39 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

When I injected my jars there were some that I didn't get the needle all the way into the substrate. I don't remember which ones, but I know this was stupid, but anyway.. I don't know which ones got good injections or not. Now I've got 5 jars out of 18 showing some myc colonization. Maybe 10% or less myc after 14 days of incubating. I got 3 syringes of a different strain in the mail the other day. Should I inject the non colonized ones with the new syringes? If so, how long should I wait before doing this?

Edited by Frappy (12/15/04 06:29 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: Re-inoculate? [Re: Frappy]
    #3502381 - 12/15/04 07:02 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

dont re inoculate its a high chance the spore fluid got onto the substrate!

--------------------

http://www.bruceeisner.com/ -Creating a Sensible Culture

OfflineFrappy
Strange

Re: Re-inoculate? [Re: liveby]
    #3503850 - 12/15/04 03:50 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

What is the worst that could happen if spores from two different strains were injected in the same jar?

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3503937 - 12/15/04 04:12 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Frappy said:
What is the worst that could happen if spores from two different strains were injected in the same jar?

#1 Waste of materials IMO
#2 The most dominant strain will prevail . Will you know which one you grew ?

IMHO , let them be , see what happens , use your new spores on some new jars .
GL

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineFrappy
Strange

Re: Re-inoculate? [Re: tripndicular]
    #3503963 - 12/15/04 04:23 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

How long would you leave them be? 30 days with no growth? longer?

Invisibletripndicular

#3503976 - 12/15/04 04:28 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Sure why not . But toss, or resterilize before inocing them .
Make some new ones in the interum .
I am firm believer of using new , never reuse, with exception of casing and subs as a casing . And then one must make certain they sterilize the hell out of it .
Better safe than sorry I always say !

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineQMK
Stranger
    #3506968 - 12/16/04 01:24 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

could possibly heat stratification around your jars. after 30 days I'd toss'em. and injecting them with a different strain like trip said wouldn't do anything except compete if your original would germinate and the new ones ya injected did too. plus they'd eat your nutes up fast as hell.

OfflineFrappy
Strange

Re: Re-inoculate? [Re: QMK]
    #3507454 - 12/16/04 04:44 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Well, my theory was that the spores never germinated since they didn't get enough nutes due to improper inoculation. And if they didn't form any myc by X amount of time, they probably never will. If this is the case, wouldn't a new, good injection fix the problem?

Edited by Frappy (12/16/04 06:16 AM)

OfflineLun4e
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3507568 - 12/16/04 07:32 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah. Check out my grow longs. I got 2 sites to show growth out of 24, everyone said wait and i did for two weeks, at which point i reinoculated and now things are finally on their way. this time remember to shake needles well and tap them on something before inocing, and also shake them between inoculation holes. I still have original inoculation sites which haven't germed. Sometimes, It happens. Seems like the general consensus is to not reinoculate jars with a different strain if they are showing growth, so maybe wait for the one week mark and then reinoculate the jars w/o growth. Gl

--------------------
How to make your 50/50 casing 50/50+ with only eggshells:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6519162&page=0&vc=#Post6519162

Invisibletripndicular

#3508280 - 12/16/04 12:35 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Frappy said:
Well, my theory was that the spores never germinated since they didn't get enough nutes due to improper inoculation. And if they didn't form any myc by X amount of time, they probably never will.  If this is the case, wouldn't a new, good injection fix the problem?

IMHO... theory incorrect ....
Failure was probably more like lack of spores in that shot of solution , or possible contams in jar prevented them from germinating . Not a lack of nutes .

Thus, I still say make new jars.  :grin:
Why "possibly" waste a new syringe ?
You could end up with more jars than planned by waiting , and making some new ones . :thumbup: :wink:
I have seen injections take up too a month or more to show signs of germination , this could be from temps ,improper moisture content in sub , not enough spores , or down right stubborn spores just not germing , and the worst case scenario contamed syringe or sub .

'Tis up to you , you have many options .

Good Luck
And remember there is always something to learn , even in failures .

--------------------

Offlinefrock
    #3508848 - 12/16/04 03:30 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Did you mix all your BRF substrate at once? I find when I do this sometimes some of the jars dont get as much water as the others and end up drier. This results in a few jars taking off and others stalling for like 15-20 days and then start to grow.

I would just wait a few days, sometimes they take off after 3 days and other times they take a while.

OfflineFrappy
Strange

Re: Re-inoculate? [Re: frock]
    #3512075 - 12/17/04 03:02 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for your help everyone. A mere 2 days later I checked the jars again. Now TEN more jars are showing colonization. I guess I didn't do such a bad job on inoculation. The other 4 jars will probably show something soon. I have several different strains colonizing... Mexi-Cub seem to be in the lead so far with Huatala lagging behind.

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast

#3512320 - 12/17/04 06:05 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Dude you gotta also think everytime you reinoculate there's another chance for contamination. So there's 2 ways you could be wasting your spore solution. Another reason to always make new.

Invisibletripndicular

#3512643 - 12/17/04 09:56 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Frappy said:
Thanks for your help everyone.  A mere 2 days later I checked the jars again.  Now TEN more jars are showing colonization.  I guess I didn't do such a bad job on inoculation. The other 4 jars will probably show something soon.  I have several different strains colonizing... Mexi-Cub seem to be in the lead so far with Huatala lagging behind.

So was waiting and watching not the answer to your troubles  :wink:
Are'nt you glad you saved them spores ?
Patience is one of the most important ingredients to mush teking IMVFO ! :thumbup:
Good Luck on the harvest  :cool:

--------------------

OfflineFrappy
Strange

#3517404 - 12/18/04 04:57 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hahaha.. Yes I knew I would get some people preaching the words of patience to me. But you're right, I just need to chill and watch. I guess my inoculation job wasn't as bad as I thought. I guess its good that I saved the spores too, but now I've got more spores than I need. I'll have to head over to the marketplace later.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation