Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
Choice
    #3501864 - 12/15/04 03:22 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

something i picked up from a converstaion on another forum.

There is always a choice. Even if you feel you have no choice, there is always a choice. If there were really no choices, then it would be so clear that there would be no need for this discussion. And the word "choice" would really have no place in language and probably not exist. Likewise, if there really were free choices, it would be so clear there would be no need for this discussion.

To me, it seems pretty clear that there can be no choice free from existence of everything. In our interdependent world, how can a choice alone be free from anything else (i.e. how can will, alone, be free)?

It also seems equally clear that there is no lack of choice, i.e. no hand commanding you to move here, then there. If there was not choice at all, there would be no need for consideration of what to do in situations. Contemplation of what to do demonstrates that there are indeed several choices you could take.

Right now I have several choices. I choose to sit here and type this. Just because I chose this over other things, does not mean the choice to do those other things does not exist. Of coarse it does. But those choices also do not exist free of my roles and experiences. Of coarse they do not. Every experience I have had up to this point will have some kind of impact on the choice I make, and that choice and impact on the next. But the choice still exists, whether you personally feel it does or not.

This we might call "conditioned free will". Free in the sense that you have choices you can make; conditioned in the sense that those choices do not exist free from the relational, interdependent nature of everything.

And now I choose to stop typing. I could just as easily choose to stay and keep typing or reading the forums.

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAreoZephin
Stranger

Loc: New Earth
Re: Choice [Re: spudamore]
    #3502103 - 12/15/04 04:46 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I may be right, I may be wrong. The only way for me to feel right or wrong is for someone to help me.

Here is how I see it.

CHOICE is created by LABLES**. LABELS are created by FOCUS. And this, those labels created choices.

Eh? Choices create free will.

--------------------
The Pharisees and the scholars have taken the keys of knowledge and have hidden them. They have not entered nor have they allowed those who want to enter to do so.

Edited by AreoZephin (12/15/04 04:47 AM)

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
Re: Choice [Re: AreoZephin]
    #3502312 - 12/15/04 06:31 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

The only way for me to feel right or wrong is for someone to help me.

trust yourself to be right or wrong, be your own teacher.

it is what you want to make of it.

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

OfflineAreoZephin
Stranger

Loc: New Earth
Re: Choice [Re: spudamore]
    #3502347 - 12/15/04 06:49 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

How do you trust yourself to be right or wrong when half of your life you've been brainwashed into believing that you need to rely on others to make you feel as if you are right or wrong? Well, maybe I have realized that I have been, therefore I have been my teacher all along just not realizing it.

I agree with you.  :thumbup:

--------------------
The Pharisees and the scholars have taken the keys of knowledge and have hidden them. They have not entered nor have they allowed those who want to enter to do so.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology