Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMajestic
M.I.A.
 User Gallery

Loc: Florence, Oregon
How's this for an incubator? =\
    #3501456 - 12/14/04 11:50 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Just the cardboard box the mason jars came in, with a heating grow pad on the bottom, will place a garbage bag around it when full. Is the direct heat on glass too much to where it will dry out my cakes? this pad only develops heat where objects directly touch it...so maybe placing a towel layer over it then cakes on, or would this still dry them out? Thanks for any replies/input/suggestions! ~D

--------------------
"The Oracle at Delphi is quite possibly real...
I watched a documentary on it on Discovery channel."  -Darcho

People will always be tempted to wipe their feet,
on anything with 'welcome' written on it.

:regularshroom:?:regularshroom: "mushroom, what?"
_\ -/_

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: How's this for an incubator? =\ [Re: Majestic]
    #3501531 - 12/15/04 12:04 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Wel, the myc. won't grow on the bottom or near the bottom...I know this from exp. , Just set it kind of low and go from there. They shouldn't dry out unless yours is way more advanced than mine and gets burning ass hot. Gl...
o n they'll colonize about 3/4th-2/3rds of the way and then slow down tremendously....too much heat : / , but Gl

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: How's this for an incubator? =\ [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3501558 - 12/15/04 12:07 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

O and cardboard is used in some substrates i e....you'd be begging for contams using it...I'd try something else, hell a dresser Jouar(sp?) would be better than that...you dont want anything organic, or wood or paper to be used as an incubator...they end out soaking water and then contaming...then you've got all your precious jars sourrouned by mad-crazy bacteria....so, def. not a good idea...maybe you could wrap the box with syran wrap or a bag first? I donno, that might work as long as the pad doesnt get hot enough to melt the plastic...

OfflineMajestic
M.I.A.
 User Gallery

#3501563 - 12/15/04 12:08 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Should I use this then over not using it? my room stays at about a constant 70. I could turn the heater on always..but that'd be an uncomfortable/expensive venture. since i used foil instead of lids to cover my jars, maybe if i use the lid to prop these up off they'd do better? This isnt advanced at all, no settings, just plugs in and raises temps 10-20 degrees depending on how large the item is/total volume of direct surface touching.

--------------------

_\ -/_

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3501571 - 12/15/04 12:10 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like that'd be a bit better, just one prob...its cardboard..

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3501583 - 12/15/04 12:12 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Id jus try to go with something else...cardboard sucks up moisture, the moisture from ur warm jars would be sucked up, so even if u put it in a dry area, it will still get moisture in it....lol go for something different, lol. TiT's work great if you've got about 30-50$ to spend. Gl

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
    #3501631 - 12/15/04 12:24 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If you do nothing else...

At least buy a styrofoam cooler... Paper bags are not insulation!

Then buy some form of temprature controller, I reccomend getting a ZooMed (Repti Temp Thermostat), for that pad. Attach the sensor directly to the pad, that will stop the pad from getting up to 110F (Cobra-Mat temp).

Then, steal from your kitchen or buy a steel or aluminum cookie sheet. Attach the heater directly to the tray bottom. Also attach the thermal probe directly to the heat pad, with a giant piece of duct tape... Those pads don't let tape stick well. (NOTE: the sheet should be slightly smaller than the bottom of the styrofoam container, so that it does not touch the sides, you need that air circulation under the sheet...)

Now, support the tray in the air with four dice, or something about one inch tall. So that the tray is level, and off the bottom of the styrofoam container.

Now, cut a piece of corigated cardboard so that it is as big as the tray, the brown stuff with the ripples between the layers.

Now, poke a thermomiter through the center of the styrofoam top and monitor the temp inside the setup for about two hours. (Temp inside should be about 88F for 85F at bottom... about 83F for 80F at the bottom. (For better results, poke the thermomiter through the side, about where the center of the jar height will be.)

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (12/15/04 12:25 AM)

OfflineMajestic
M.I.A.
 User Gallery

#3501698 - 12/15/04 12:42 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ah, so when the jars become warmer, it will cause the moisture to escape thru the aluminum caps? even with 3 layers..? friday im buying supplies cause where i work ill be getting a xmas 30-60% off store prices, but till then i have to make due..any suggestions? possibly just keep them in my dresser till i can set up a TiT? ~D

--------------------

_\ -/_

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3501720 - 12/15/04 12:48 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It's normal bro, don't worry about it, a little bit always comes out, you need some 02/c02 exchange...and with that exchange you lose a bit of moisture, not enough to hurt it but a bit. and heres a link to what jim is talking about...well it may be a bit different but here, Gl
http://www.mycotopia.net/site/article.php?23.255

and heres a link for a nice fruiting chamber
http://www.mycotopia.net/site/article.php?24.255

=)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3501785 - 12/15/04 01:02 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Not just moisture will be the problem Overheatng your jars is a BIG problem for colinization. You need to use your heat source to heat up the AIR around the jars..not directly heating the jars..even with something between the pad..top will still be warmer then the bottom..not good. Heating pads just create hot spots and are tough to use correctly. It can be done though.

Yeah cardboard isn't good to have around any stage for long periods of time though it should be the biggest problem..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3502580 - 12/15/04 06:10 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

To properly incubate jars, you want a consistent heat source that surrounds the jars with warm air. Not a heat source in direct, or close indirect contact with the jars. Direct, or indirect contact with a heat source will cause the bottom of the jars to heat up. If the ambient RH is lower, outside the jars, you will have moisture EXIT the jar & jar content will dry out.

My foaf uses a large lateral metal filing cabinet, with heat pad underneath cabinet. He also keeps a open water jar in the bottom cabinet drawer, to help equalize the inner jar & ambient air RH factor. Because the cabinet is both Big & TALL, the bottom drawer temperature is 87F & the top drawer temperature is 82F. But, because that range is okay, it all works out.

An easy jar incubator can be made from a large ice chest (cooler). Lay a heating pad on the bottom, use something for a grate, to allow air space between the heat mat & jar bottoms. If you have lots of jars, have a grate between each stacked level. Keep an open bottle of water on - or directly above the heating pad. Adjust heat pad accordingly, to temperature stays around 85F. Simple as that.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: How's this for an incubator? =\ [Re: agar]
    #3502591 - 12/15/04 06:15 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I heard that humidity in the incubator is not desirable.
I hear that heating source direct under jars can dry them out.
MY jars DO colonize at the bottoms...

Try Tub in Tub?

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How's this for an incubator? =\ [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3502611 - 12/15/04 06:25 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The heating pad is UNDER the cabinet. Not IN IT. So, there is about a 4 inch air space between heat mat & bottom drawer. Heat rises.

The jars you see are WBS incubating.

Heat without HUMIDITY, will cause the moisture in the jars to EVAPORATE.

1/2 gallon day 3 after G2G transfer. Fully colonized on day 10.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: How's this for an incubator? =\ [Re: agar]
    #3502630 - 12/15/04 06:31 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ok thanks bout the Humidity, I read here before that moist in incubator chamber is not of any benefit, but that isnt obviously the case then.

ABout the heating pad I was not meaning you but in general the heatsource directly under jars can make them dry...

Hmz grain 2 grain, I was about to try it I had 3 quarts of WBS injected with a vendor bought EQ syringe. No growth so far... (almost 7 days) :frown:
In teh same WBS (a pint) I injected with a little bit GT and after 3 days already mycelium.
So I think bad EQ syringe.... :frown:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds