Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
Hey everyone, I just started cultivating with birdseed. I read all about the dreaded wetspot bacteria and just recently noticed what is probably wetspot on most of my jars.
just wanted to clarify if this was the real deal. the wet spots look as if the grain is stuck to the jar with a lump of water and there are small wetspots around the jar. is this bascillus?
also, what do you guys do to prevent this bascillus? i think most of my jars have been hit with tihs wetspot bacteria. i have steeped some for 24 hrs and some i have just put in the pc , both seem to have it.
-------------------- -the sweet is never as sweet without the sour
Sounds about right; the spots can also take on a greasy appearance.
I never verified any wet spot as being Bacillus sp., but taking the word of TMC and others most people assume that's the organism. It's almost invariably a result of incomplete sterilization, not from airborne vectors. Bacillus is a gram positive rod [very large] that forms spores.
[If you want to ID it off of pure agar growth for some reason, gram stain to show gram+ large rods, smear a little of the bacteria on a clean flat surface [slide] and drop 3% H2O2 on it--it will fizz like mad. That's pretty much enough to call it Bacillus sp. Also, most Bacillus looks CRAZY on agar, sometimes like snot, sometimes almost like wet mycelium.]
I [and others] doubt the effectiveness of pre-soaking. The theory is that if you germinate the spores, they're easier to kill. This is true unless all those germinated spores have a chance to REsporulate as the pressure cooker is heating up. Room temp soaking will knock up your bacterial counts. Steeping at a sub-boil is less bad from a microbial point of view, but I think is more of a tek to get the water content right. And it works well for that.
Something you might want to try is giving the grain a complete rinse straight from the bag. I'm talking submerging, running through a collander, whatever. Do it well enough and a significant proportion of surface contamination will be physically washed off. This might put your growth curve down such that PC'ing is more effective. It also gets rid of the goo [birdkote, surface dust] that can coat the inner jar surface after shaking, increasing contam potential.
Give it a shot, rinse completely and PC asap. Get the water right, I usually just pour water until the very first seed can be seen floating. 250 mL seed:125/130 mL water is about what you're looking for.