Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRichard_D_James
enthusiast
Best Time/Place to find Psilocybe caerulipes?
    #349177 - 06/26/01 06:48 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I live in Ohio and I was just wondering what the best place would be to go hunting for Ps. caerulipes. What time of the year do they fruit? I hope I haven't missed my window of opportunity yet. Please give me as much info as you can on this specie. Does it bruise blue?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepsilocybian
enthusiast
Re: Best Time/Place to find Psilocybe caerulipes? [Re: Richard_D_James]
    #349356 - 06/26/01 01:49 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I would like info on this shroom too. I heard it fruits more down south. Anyone out there ever pick this shroom?

Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
    #349437 - 06/26/01 04:07 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

The bluing is variable.They supposedly fruit, summer through fall. They are found on hardwood debris,mainly beech,birch,and maple,along river systems.They're widely distributed east of the Great Plains, from Canada through Mexico(sounds like they're all over the damn place, doesn't it). Apparently they are either not that common, or just overlooked, because I can't recall anyone at this site ever finding them.Of course, a lot of the hunters here, live on the West Coast, where caerulipes doesn't grow (like they need another magic species, the lucky dogs), and most of the East Coast hunters, stick to hunting for the coprophilic species.Of course you can't blame'em, it's a little easier hunting a pasture(which has dangers of it's own; ill-ass bulls, shotgun-toting farmers, and sometimes, undercover cops bored with busting crackheads ), than tromping through the woods, stepping over copperheads,coming out covered with enough ticks to give everybody in China lyme disease, and swatting mosquito's big enough to rape a full grown wild turkey.
If you find some,please post some pics. They're out there, and someone here is bound to find'em, sooner or later.

doo

Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb.

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

OfflineRichard_D_James
enthusiast
    #349601 - 06/26/01 09:08 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Plus i read on the internet that there were reported sightings in Cleveland, Ohio, which is where AFOAF lives. AFOAF went looking today and didn't find SHIT.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #349675 - 06/26/01 10:57 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

A friend of mine has been finding them in Cinncinati for years in mulched gardens. But now is their season and you should watch for them afrter rains. Look in man made environments for shrooms. Not so common in the wild.

mj

Have a shroomy day and may all of your days be shroomy.

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Loc: Somewhere in Northeast OH
    #349682 - 06/26/01 11:08 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I live in the cleveland area and now is not a good time to look for mushrooms. It has not rained for almost a week now and there is no rain expected in the near future. I would wait and look after it has rained for a couple of days. Where did your FOAF look? Cuyahoga Valley metro parks would be a good place to look in the cleveland area, watch out for rangers though.

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Best Time/Place to find Psilocybe caerulipes? [Re: Humidity]
    #349867 - 06/27/01 07:31 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I should have mentioned that the place where he picked them had rain a while back but many public places have sprinkler systems although many do not use them quite as much these days.

Good luck hunting.

Mj

Offlinedoo
 User Gallery

Re: Best Time/Place to find Psilocybe caerulipes? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #350027 - 06/27/01 12:40 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Mj, what is the potency of caerulipes? I've always assumed they were probably equal to the stuntzii's.
Also get your friend to take some photos if he is able,I'm sure there's lots of folks here that would love to see'um.

doo

--------------------

OfflineLevi7
old hand
Re: Best Time/Place to find Psilocybe caerulipes? [Re: doo]
    #350031 - 06/27/01 12:45 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Doo, I'm not MJ, but Ps. caerulipes is stronger than Ps. Stuntzii. Probably like 1 1/2 times or so. Stay cool!-Levi7.

Edited by Levi7 on 06/27/01 02:46 PM.

OfflineRichard_D_James
enthusiast
    #350584 - 06/28/01 06:36 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Humidity - I looked in a place veeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrry similar to cuyahoga metroparks. I always spend time at Rocky River Reservation, hunting. However, I shall change my hunting strategy...

Man Made Environments

Offlinedogweazle
    #350886 - 06/28/01 04:20 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

The only pic I've seen is at MJ's site:
http://mjshroomer.yage.net/species26.html

I just found a bunch of mushrooms in a very old/rotting tree stump. They were all reletavely small but i took the largest one at like 2-3 inches tall. The cap was maybe .5-1 inch in diameter. The caps were golden brown and faded to white sorta... and somewhat wrinkly if you can understand that. Sorta like how your fingers get when you swim/take a bath. hehe

white stem, i thikn its hallow
gills were a grayish color i think, i am taking a spore print now to see if that helps

didnt notice any blueing yet. :(

could this be a caerulipes?

btw im in cleveland, and was surprised to see anythngi but i guess the stump was a great habitat. it hasnt rained in days

thanks

----------
He called the shit poop!

Edited by dogweazle on 06/28/01 06:22 PM.

--------------------
----------
He called the shit poop!

OfflineRichard_D_James
enthusiast
Re: Best Time/Place to find Psilocybe caerulipes? [Re: dogweazle]
    #351027 - 06/28/01 07:51 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Probably not if growing out of a stump like that.

Basically, from what I learned the only psilocybin containing shrooms us Ohioans were left with are:

Panaeolus Subbalteus
Psilocybe Caerulipes
Gymnopilus SPectabilis (which i heard you have to eat like 1 dry oz. to get off or something outrageous)

But what I've also heard is that:
Amanita Pantherina
Grows in ohio also. Not sure if I want to fuck with Amanitas though, but I'd sure make me happy to find one.

OfflineRichard_D_James
enthusiast
    #351036 - 06/28/01 08:00 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Mother Nature sure stuck it in and broke it off for Northern Ohioans as far as shrooms go, but at least I dont have to deal with the same problem as doo does. We don't have any poisonous snakes. We have one poisonous spider that causes your skin to rot off. I've never been bitten by one luckily. I've seen like 1 tick in ohio. Actually, the more I think about it... FUCK living down south. I don't need rattlers and fucking copperheads. WHat about the poisonous salamanders in kentucky? thats piss poor shit. West Virginia has a fucking tick problem like you wouldn't believe.

Ohio rules!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #351090 - 06/28/01 09:20 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

>We don't have any poisonous snakes. We have one poisonous spider that causes your skin to rot off. I've never been bitten by one luckily

LOL... Actualy... You probaly DO have plenty of Northern Copperheads up there in Ohio, to tell ya the truth I wouldnt be to suprised to find a Timber Rattler up there-- I know there are LOADS of them in Virginia. As far as spiders goes, I am almost sure the blackwidow lives up there, and possibly the brown recluse(both very dangerous if bitten). Note that the poisonous salamanders are poisonous, not venomous... Big dif... If something is poisonous then it has to be injested or enter the body threw an orfice of some sort, like eyes or mouth(who eats salamanders anyways?). Venomous animals have someway of getting their toxins into the bloodstream, be it fangs, stingers, or nematocyst(jellyfish).

I hope you enjoyed my nature talk, and I hope you don't encounter anything life threating while shroom hunting :)

Peace
-Gumby

Offlinethegoldenteacher
enthusiast
Loc: central NC
Re: Best Time/Place to find Psilocybe caerulipes? [Re: Gumby]
    #351367 - 06/29/01 10:38 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

brown recluse=spider who will make skin rot

--------------------
peace, happiness, love, girls, joy, euphoria, warmth, fuzzy, girls, touch, feeling, girls.
-me

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #351391 - 06/29/01 11:24 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

MR. Richard James.

It also takes one fresh ounce of Psilocybe cubensis and or Panaeolus subbalteatus to get high to so one dried ounce of Gymnopilus would be equal to a fresh pound of GYmnopilus and that would be way to many and much shrooms to consume. It only takes about one fresh ounce of Gymniopilus but they are horribly bitter and excruciating to the palette.

Have a shroomy day,

mj

Offlinedoo
 User Gallery

Re: Best Time/Place to find Psilocybe caerulipes? [Re: Gumby]
    #351410 - 06/29/01 11:53 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

For Rick James,
Gumbydude's right, there are timber rattlers and northern copperheads in the southern part of Ohio.In the northern parts of Ohio you have the Eastern Massasauga rattlesnake.They are small rattlers averaging between 20 - 30 inches long. They are fairly mild-mannered, hardly ever rattling, unless you really piss'em off.Most of the rattlesnakes prefer secluded rural areas. The copperhead on the other hand is an urban snake.They are responsible for the majority of the venomous snakebites.They like people because we leave old boards, wood piles and similiar stuff laying around for them to hide under.
Most snakes aren't going to bother you unless you bother them.You've got a much better chance of being injured in a car wreck,than being bitten by a snake or spider.Just be careful, and carry a sturdy stick to use if you're checking around logs and such.
I work in the woods, been doing so for over 20 years, and the only snakes that have ever bitten me were black racers,black rat snakes, and water snakes, and that was only because I was messing with 'em or trying to catch them.I probably deserved it.I'm much more scared of the ticks.

doo

--------------------

Offlinepsilocybian
enthusiast
Re: Best Time/Place to find Psilocybe caerulipes? [Re: doo]
    #351414 - 06/29/01 12:01 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Whoa dude! You have seriously stereotyped the south here. Although we do have somewhat of a tick problem, they arent bad at all this year. I used to live up north (Connecticut) and I would find ticks on me about as much as down here (South Carolina).
And no, not every where you step there is a snake, or something. The pasture I go too has water, I live next to a swamp, and I have lived down here * years, and have only seen maybe 5 or 6 snakes, the majority of which were in the road dead.
I have seen a brown recluse once.
Hey, I once read (in pop sci I think) that no matter where you are you are never more than 10 feet from a spider. Isn't that some shit?

Hey I was reading doo's post. SHIT!!!! I've already been injured in a car wreck (as well as being hit by one), I guess that means I"M GONNA GET BIT!!!!

Edited by psilocybian on 06/29/01 02:05 PM.

OfflineLevi7
old hand
Re: Best Time/Place to find Psilocybe caerulipes? [Re: psilocybian]
    #351456 - 06/29/01 01:15 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Psilocybian, You're from South Carolina?! You should take a drive to Lake Russel, Lake Hartwell area on the Savannah river and east! You could possibly find Ps. caerulipes there.
Depending on the weather, though! I know those strong summer thunderstorms! South Carolina is cool! Some summer days, 95 degrees and strong rain! The alphalt builds up such a strong smell!Ha!
Also, friends of mine bragged about finding Ps. cubensis in the Lake Greenwood area. I personally have never picked a wild Ps. cubensis. Stay cool!-Levi7.

Offlinedoo
 User Gallery

Re: Best Time/Place to find Psilocybe caerulipes? [Re: psilocybian]
    #351613 - 06/29/01 05:56 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Hey psilocybian,didn't mean to stereotype anything, especially the South(lived here for all 40 years of my life). I was just practicing my creative writing(i.e.the mosquitoes aren't really big enough to mess with a full grown turkey, a wood duck maybe,but not a turkey....he,he).
My job(s) has me out in the forest nearly everyday, so I'm more likely to see some of these things than someone who isn't rambling through the woods on a daily basis. Not to mention that I'm looking for snakes and anything else that's cool or unusual.
I was just trying to inform R.J., that even if he has venomous snakes in his area, that snakes aren't as bad as most people believe them to be.
I wasn't trying to scare anyone, just hoping to make folks a little more aware, that's all.
Try to be careful around the highways though,cars don't seem to like you very much.
If you get a chance, try to check out Levi7's tip,I'm thinking about taking a trip to Lake R. myself one day, to see what I can find.
R.D.James, keep looking for P.caerulipes.Don't give up. They are out there, waiting for you to find them.Just be patient ,follow Mj's advice,and one day you'll run across them.
Take it easy,

doo

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds