Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedeathcapcubensis
hunter
 User Gallery

lets play a game, shall we? Cube?
    #3498911 - 12/14/04 07:35 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Okay I want anyone with an opinion to take a guess, and tell me what tbey are. Some info I will leave you with;
-purple brown sporeprint
-(because its hard to tell in the pic) it has a veil with purple/brown spore deposits.
-sticky cap to the touch
-non-striated margin

I will except certain questions, but I will not tell you the environment/habitat or anything that IS obvious in the pic i,e,.. gill color. But I did on the other hand forget to leave my trusty guitar pic by the shrooms to give you a size reference. So here your ref. the biggest cap is 3 inches across, exactly, and its almost an inch thick. These where scanned no more than 10 mins after they where picked so if any bruising has or has/not occurred, mind you its still to early to tell if it will/wont. :smile: After I feel I have gotten enough guesses, maybe, say....20 or so I will give the rest of the info, Have fun. If you think its a cube, what strain?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedeathcapcubensis
hunter
 User Gallery

Re: lets play a game, shall we? Cube? [Re: deathcapcubensis]
    #3498929 - 12/14/04 07:37 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

InvisibleSuper_Blunt
Candyman
 User Gallery

#3498931 - 12/14/04 07:37 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

:drooling:

--------------------

Offlinedeathcapcubensis
hunter
 User Gallery

Re: lets play a game, shall we? Cube? [Re: Super_Blunt]
    #3498949 - 12/14/04 07:40 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

good answer genius

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #3499074 - 12/14/04 08:00 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

definitely in the genus stropharia

not a cube or psilocybe

maybe S. ambigua.

DH

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Re: lets play a game, shall we? Cube? [Re: spores]
    #3499139 - 12/14/04 08:10 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Death, this might help. A white pieve of paper behind your scans

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

Teh=The

I need to proofread

Offlinedeathcapcubensis
hunter
 User Gallery

Re: lets play a game, shall we? Cube? [Re: tahoe]
    #3499213 - 12/14/04 08:23 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well when the scanner scans, it scans from under. If I put a white piece of paper underneath, it would block out the scan, wouldnt it? I guess I could try.

Offlinedeathcapcubensis
hunter
 User Gallery

Re: lets play a game, shall we? Cube? [Re: spores]
    #3499234 - 12/14/04 08:26 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Hey dude I was wondeering, whats the difference between psilocybe cubensis and stropharia cubensis?

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #3499522 - 12/14/04 09:05 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

deathcapcubensis said:
Hey dude I was wondeering, whats the difference between psilocybe cubensis and stropharia cubensis?

Stopharia cubensis is the old taxon for Psilocybe cubensis. At some point they moved it form the genus Stropharia to Psilocybe. No difference, same mushroom, just different names.

And I agree with DH, some sort of Stropharia. Doesn't bruise blue! :P

As far as the paper goes, I think he meant lay the paper on top of the mushrooms after they are on the scanner... that would make sense, right?

Offlinedeathcapcubensis
hunter
 User Gallery

Re: lets play a game, shall we? Cube? [Re: Gumby]
    #3499548 - 12/14/04 09:12 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

So they used to thhink that it belonged to stropharia? Is the stropharia genus that similar to psilocybe?

scanner.....I dont close the lid when I scan becaus its heavy and crushes the shrooms. I guess I could blanket it over it? If thats what you meant

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3499578 - 12/14/04 09:18 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I really do not know what your scanner problem is but I have posted dozens of images here of shrooms laid on my scanner screen and here is one of P. stuntzii. No problem with picture., Use a wedge so the scanner top comes to an inch or so above the shrooms.

no problem ever doing a shroom scan.

And Gumby is correct, the mushroom was originally name Stropharia cubensis Earle in 1906 and was first reported in the literature form Cube. Hence its name cubensis. It was later emended to Psilocybe cubensis [Earle} Singer.

Should also mention that 2 years after its discovery in Cuba, Patillouird discovered it in Tonkin (Hanoi) North Viet-Nam. He named it Naematoloma Caerulescens Patillouird.

Both are no synonyms for Psilocybe caerulescens.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (12/14/04 09:34 PM)

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #3499593 - 12/14/04 09:20 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, the Stropharia mushrooms are very similar to Psilocybes, just none of them are known to be active. They all drop purple brown prints.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: lets play a game, shall we? Cube? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3499661 - 12/14/04 09:28 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The lack of bluing (especially where you cut the stem) is a dead give away that it's not P. cubensis. Also, the fact that you are in southern California means that you would not be able to find fresh cubes unless they were cultivated; those are wild mushrooms.

I agree with DH, it looks like Stropharia ambigua.

Offlinedeathcapcubensis
hunter
 User Gallery

Re: lets play a game, shall we? Cube? [Re: shroomydan]
    #3500250 - 12/14/04 10:36 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

ok Im northern cali....bay area, in fact,I have found three active species this season.

Ok looks like the games over, but I did this for a reason, LOL when I was fourteen I found these EXACT shrooms growing outta cowpatties. I had gotten a feild guide for my b-day(i was always fascinated w/ fungi). I had never tried psilocybin, and desperatly wanted too, although I had my fair share of acid by that time. I remember posting something about inactive cubes. Apparently these are them. I had noticed these shrooms are like a weed out here in cali. So it's no wonder, I found them growing out of shit. According to my feild guide cubes dont grow here, but I thought it might just be a weak cube thats why it didnt bruise. It just didnt make sense because no matter what I couldnt find anything else that the shroom resembled besides cubensis! So I tested them.....nothing. I look back it now and ofcourse realise what a dumb idea it was to eat a shroom I couldnt pin pont but I was a kid, and last I checked kids are invinsible they just dont think before they act. You gotta admit though they do resemble cubies without the bluing.

These where found on grass, on woodchips, in feilds, under trees....everywhere. Never noticed em before though!

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #3502180 - 12/15/04 05:19 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Psilocybe Cubensis actually IS a Stropharia, though. (Just to make that very clear.) The only reason it has been moved to the Psilocybe Family, is the high amounts of psilocybin recorded in Stropharia Cubensis specimins. If I am incorrect, please tell me. I have been led to believe that, physically, Cubes are stopharia.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: lets play a game, shall we? Cube? [Re: psiclops]
    #3503646 - 12/15/04 03:03 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Psiclops,

Psilocybe cubensis actually have the lowest amount of psilocine and psilocybine in them. They are relatively one of the weakest species of the more than 190 known species of psilcybian mushrooms by weigtht. They usually req1uire from 1/8th or more up to 5 grams dried to achive a dosage equivelent to that of a Mazatec healing and curing ceremony.

However, many shamans, brujos, sabios, and curanderas/curanderos, rarely use P. cubensis because of its association with manure. They consider it to be an inferior species. And they have many species of psilocybian fungi before the Spanish ever brought cattle to Espa?a (the New World)

P. cyanescens, P. baeocystis, P. azurescens are the three most postent species in the USA. and can require as much as 4 doses or more to a dried gram and up to as many as 10 to 15 doses in a fresh ounce or from 40 to 80 doses in a dried ounce.

While cubes take one fresh ounce. With frm between 5 to 10 doses in a dried ounce so cubes are not a potent species. But they are a species which grows abundantly in vitro environments.

mj

and no Stopharia mushroom ever grows directly in manure except the Psilocybe cubensis. IT was replaced into the genera Psilocybe as were the Deconicas, Naematolomas and several others because they are more of a Pasilocybe than a Stropharia.

Now some of the ones used in Mexico for ceremonial used have been renamed into a new genera called Psychedelia, after their renaming due to DNA sequencing to separate the species. Only the Mexican Psilocybes are being renamed to the genera psychedelia. And there are more than 43 known species of Psilocybe used ceremoniously in Mexico today. And a total of 115 species of psychoactive Psiloybes and then the other 12 genera of shrooms with psilocine/psilocybine in the other genera b ringing together a toatl of more tha 190 species of psilocybian fungi.

mj

mj

Offlinedeathcapcubensis
hunter
 User Gallery

#3503892 - 12/15/04 03:58 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Thannks for all that info mj, you reall no your uh.....shit :smile: . But there IS a stropharia that grows directly out of shit that very much resembles a cube.... stropharia semiglobata

http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Stropharia_semiglobata.html

I believe this is this speciec that I posted though

http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Stropharia_riparia.html

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #3504628 - 12/15/04 06:24 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Stropharia semiglobata does not in any way resemble a cube except for the color. It is an edible but not highly valuable as a source of food.

Here are two images of Stropharia semiglobata courtesty of Paul Stamets and Funghi Perfecti.

And the gill-shapes of Stropharia semiglobata:

And the Gills of Psilocybe cubensis:

Neither structures of the gills or colors are the same as P. cubensis.

And the fact that it was named a stropharia was just an error by Earle who named it into that genera. It is really a Psilocybe and belongs to the genus Psilocybe.

mj

I should mention that naematolomas, Hypholomas and Agrocybes also have many of the same characteristics of the psilocybe genera.

Some Stropharia species such as S. aeruginosa, S. cyanea and S. aquamarina and S. caerulea all have a blue coloration to their flesh but do not grow in manure and the gills are shaped dfiffenerently in tiers that the cubensis shrooms. Other stropharias also resemble some Psilocybes such as this Stropharia aurantiaca pictured below:

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (12/15/04 06:50 PM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #3504837 - 12/15/04 06:53 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Stropharia aurantiaca grows commonly in the same habitats as Psilocybe cyanescens and Glaerina species.

Here are three iamges of this Stropharia and it also is not psychoactive, nor edible.

Good for making dyes.

Well the Picture upload is not working for me again.

Here is the message when i go tothe upload pictures page.

Quote:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class mailer in /var/www/shroomery/forums/ubbt.inc.php on line 224

Sp IO will attempt to post them later.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (12/16/04 01:26 AM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #3506942 - 12/16/04 01:19 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Deathcapcubensis, even your URL to Stropharia semiglobata does not equate any resemblence to P. cubensis whatsoever/
Quote:

#
Comments

Stropharia semiglobata is a slender, dung-dwelling species recognized by a viscid, dull-yellowish cap, viscid lower stipe, and glutinous, evanescent ring. Its occurrence on manure is a helpful but not definitive field character. Other mushrooms that fruit here include Psilocybe coprophila and its close cousin Psilocybe merdaria which differs in having reddish-brown to brown sub-viscid caps and lack of a ring. Panaeolus papilionaceus has a greyish-brown, fringed, non-viscid cap and also lacks a ring. Panaeolus semiovatus is a larger, annulate species with a cream-colored, distinctively wrinkled, viscid cap. Fruitings of Stropharia semiglobata in manure-rich grass can be confused with Agrocybe pediades and Stropharia coronilla. Both species have similar cream-colored, subviscid caps. Stropharia coronilla, however, differs in possessing a non-viscid, striate-margined annulus, while Agrocybe pediades lacks a ring, and has brown, not purple-brown gills and spores. Finally, compare with Bolbitius vitellinus, which occasionally fruits on dung. It has a viscid, yellowish cap with a striate margin, ochre-colored gills, and lacks a veil. Several varieties of Stropharia semiglobata have been described, but are not treated separately here.

And your URL of Stropharia riparia shows that it does not grow in manure nor does its gill structure resemble P. cubensis.

mj

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (12/16/04 01:48 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification