Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Is Spirituality Accessible to Kids?
    #3497638 - 12/14/04 04:06 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

This is an idea that was raised in another thread, and I don't have an idea on what the answer could be.

Does your brain need to be fully constructed in order to approach spirituality in a constructive and intelligent manner?

Do you need to have a basic control and understanding of language to approach it in a logical way?

Does spirituality require maturity?

Is a child capable of understanding main subjects related to spirituality such as ego, duality, psychology, etc...?

These are all just questions popping up in my mind, and I really don't know what to make of them.

Go ahead, say what you gotta say, I wanta hear it!  :mushroom2:

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Is Spirituality Accessible to Kids? [Re: exclusive58]
    #3497701 - 12/14/04 04:17 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

When I was about 10 years old, I started questioning this reality. I hypothesized that this life was merely a dream from which I would one day wake up. Also around the same time, I became interested in Animism, the worship of nature. It was only 10 years later that through psychedelics, I came back to a similar but more refined idea--that of pantheism. Nonetheless, this should give you some idea about childhood spirituality.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Anonymous

#3497730 - 12/14/04 04:24 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I think, when children are first born, their lives are inherently spiritual. They simply do what comes naturally to them.

Then the cultural indoctrination begins.

IMO, a big part of spirituality is being able to see past culture and tradition, because these only get in the way of discerning Universal Knowledge. So I would say the time from the ages of 4 to 16 is probably the worst time for a person spiritually, because during that timeframe they are being socially programmed. Around the age of 16 most teenagers become rebellious enough to challenge the ideas taught to them, and can therefore take up the spiritual path once more.

A person would be able to be "spiritual" (living as a human being without societal bounds, and seeking higher knowledge) through the age of 0 to death if it weren't for that timeframe of behavior programming. This timeframe seems to "close the gap" for any openness to spirituality at a young age. Instead during the ages of 4 to 16 people are usually indoctrinated into their parents' religion, as well as societal programming, which is very unfortunate.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Is Spirituality Accessible to Kids? [Re: ]
    #3497762 - 12/14/04 04:34 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

hey good point there max. So would you say that to try and "teach" spirituality to a kid is just another form of programming?

Is not the only way to leave a child's inherited spirituality untouched is to disassociate him from society, which is pretty much impossible?

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #3497772 - 12/14/04 04:36 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Well, there are very basic, fundamental roots of Spirituality which can be simplified to become presentable to children, or to incoporate into children's books and such. [Nobody dumps calculus textbooks on kindergarteners, hehe]
Then as one progresses into the subject, there becomes the more complex principles of Spirituality - however, I contend that although the path towards the comprehension and understanding of such jewels of Life may involve complex intricacies, the actual jewel itself, should always be simple, and profound - and usually always is, anyway.

All healthy children have Being-cognition, so in many ways, it would be a bit easier to let them know where true inner-peace comes from and so on... as opposed to trying to teach the same thing to, say, a disgruntled, stubborn 'punk'-teenager with a limited, selfish view on the world and built up angst and deeply identified with their mind and ego.

One of the bigger problematic issues that would arise, which could hinder the spiritual growth of children in such schools of thought, is what takes place beyond the school, i.e. at home, etc. Chances are, as of today, they'd most likely have a pair of parents with Deficiency-cognition which stems from identification/attachment to the mind/ego.
But, ja, it would still be a good start, nonetheless. :smile:

Zen is a good example of how what one could teach to a children, but would have a hard time teaching to an adult, which is paralelled in the quote:
"Simple enough for a child, too complex for a genius" - Zeek, "Art of Shen Ku"

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Is Spirituality Accessible to Kids? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3497807 - 12/14/04 04:44 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

nice SS7, i see that questionning the truth is something that came to you at a very young age. What do you think conditioned you to do so? Because most people don't remember anything having to do with questionning the reality when they were young. OR maybe most people DID, but kinda gave up the search and it became a regressed memory.

When i was 4 or 5 or 6, i believed my sister when she told me there was a god in the sky, and that when we took the airplane and when we went through the clouds, we were visiting his house. haha.

I guess I'd say curiosity is the birth place of spirituality.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Is Spirituality Accessible to Kids? [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3497815 - 12/14/04 04:47 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Interesting you brought up Zen. In many Buddhist countries, it is common for children to be sent to monasteries where they are taught by monks, given both an academic and spiritual education.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#3497836 - 12/14/04 04:51 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
nice SS7, i see that questionning the truth is something that came to you at a very young age. What do you think conditioned you to do so? Because most people don't remember anything having to do with questionning the reality when they were young. OR maybe most people DID, but kinda gave up the search and it became a regressed memory.

I was always a very curious, inquisitive type. I also have long been rather anti-social, and while this has certainly had some negative effects on my life, it has also given me a wild imagination which keeps me busy when no one's around. I never really got into sports like all the other boys did. Nor was I very interested in playing tag or other childhood games. So I had my imagination to keep me occupied.

--------------------

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: Is Spirituality Accessible to Kids? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3497856 - 12/14/04 04:55 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

And it would be even more interesting to see the comparison in overall spiritual awareness, inner-peace, wholeness and inner-health between a 10 yr old Tibetan monk/disciple, and a ten year old from a public school in the Bronx, N.Y., or L.A.

Very interesting.. :smile:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Anonymous

#3497861 - 12/14/04 04:56 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

So would you say that to try and "teach" spirituality to a kid is just another form of programming?

In a way, yes, because I think spirituality is a personal thing and should be developed individually. But there are certain concepts that a person could go his/her whole life without learning on their own. In that case, it's great to learn from others. But any "teaching" of that kind should be done by the request of the student and not by the force of the teacher.

Is not the only way to leave a child's inherited spirituality untouched is to disassociate him from society, which is pretty much impossible?

Yeah, this is what I was implying. Our society doesn't like children to learn spiritual concepts on their own. They must be "taught" to them, but this form of teaching is by the force of the teacher, which serves only the teacher and not the student. And so the vicious cycle of indoctrination moves forward.

I believe it's possible to have a society in which learning spiritual concepts is encouraged in an individual, open-minded way. But in our society that wouldn't work, because it wouldn't benefit the people in power.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Is Spirituality Accessible to Kids? [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3497877 - 12/14/04 04:58 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

All healthy children have Being-cognition, so in many ways, it would be a bit easier to let them know where true inner-peace comes from and so on... as opposed to trying to teach the same thing to, say, a disgruntled, stubborn 'punk'-teenager with a limited, selfish view on the world and built up angst and deeply identified with their mind and ego.

And plus, children tend to learn faster then adults, so that's an argument for implementing spirituality in schools.

Can you give an example of how a "basic, fundamental root of Spirituality can be simplified to become presentable to children"?, cuz, for example say i have two kids in front of me, aged 10... I would have no idea in what way I would bring up something related to spirituality to them.

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
Re: Is Spirituality Accessible to Kids? [Re: ]
    #3497890 - 12/14/04 05:01 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Kids are spiritual.
Look to children...there is much wisdom there.

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Is Spirituality Accessible to Kids? [Re: mecreateme] * 1
    #3498186 - 12/14/04 05:53 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i find raming the credo down children's throats distasteful, but sharing one's beliefs, with them can be golden:

they have to find it for tehmselves for it to be of value to them.
they have to want it to find it.
they have to have interest to begin to want.
sharing to foster interest is as far as I can see this going in a dignified fashion.

the rest is tolerance and love.

I agree that there is tons to learn from kids and to unlearn from our own accumulated melodramas

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Loc: Darkover
Re: Is Spirituality Accessible to Kids? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #3498253 - 12/14/04 06:04 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

As you are part of them, and they of you, look inside yourself for "inner truth" and allow that light to inform your decisions on how you approach the subject.

--------------------
"Odrade read the word silently and then aloud.
"Arafel."
She knew this word.Reverend Mothers of the tyrants time had impressed it into the Bene Gesserit consciousness,tracing it's roots to the most ancient sources.
"Arafel:the cloud darkness at the end of the universe.""

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #3498787 - 12/14/04 07:20 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i was raised catholic and went to a private catholic school from kindergarten through 8th grade.  we had religion class everyday and attended church as a class once a month.  i went once a week with my family. 

i remember at a very early age i began to question the creation story where god creates eve from adam's rib.  i also disbelieved the story of Noha's Ark from the beginning.  In fact i don't have a clear memmory of ever believe in the heaven that my teachers and priests talked about.  also, i stopped believing in santa clause when i was 6 years old, it just didn't make sense to me that a man could do what santa was believed to do.  i got into a lot of trouble in school for telling everybody that santa wasn't real in 1st grade
:smile:

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Is Spirituality Accessible to Kids? [Re: TODAY]
    #3499007 - 12/14/04 07:48 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

For some reason, I never actually took the story of Adam and Eve to be literal truth. Whenever my parents told me stories from the Bible, I saw them as just that: stories. They were stories which had a moral to them, but stories nonetheless. I was actually quite surprised when I learned that people actually took the Bible literally.

--------------------

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
    #3499029 - 12/14/04 07:52 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Of course spirituality is accessible to kids. Kids can know themselves and the world in their own inner translation of things.

Personally I feel that all of life is spiritual, and I certainly had a deep sense of the spirit as a child.

One conceptualisation of spirit is equal to another and there are many zillions possible. The actuality of the spirit is there beyond the metaphor.

Offlineld50negative1
lethal dosage

Re: Is Spirituality Accessible to Kids? [Re: CJay]
    #3499517 - 12/14/04 09:03 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Certainly.

When I was a child I realized/felt spiritual pressure that the ideologies that I followed were somehow completely wrong (this was not a result of condemnation by parents/family/etc but by an outside source - God). I felt that I was being lead on a road to spiritual healing.

--------------------

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

Re: Is Spirituality Accessible to Kids? [Re: ld50negative1]
    #3500447 - 12/14/04 11:05 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Isn't the innocence and honesty of the child-like state what we're all trying to get to? Young children spend most of their attention on the present, unlike most adults.

Didn't Jesus say to enter the kingdom of heaven you have to be a child again?

I think people are born spiritual. Then they learn to talk.

--------------------
Put that monkey back in the oven.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #3500483 - 12/14/04 11:11 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

heh, i remember when i was in 6th grade, i told this younger kid there was no such thing as santa... he cried, told on me, then the school called my mom, my mom laughed, and so did I.

:grin:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology