Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
UV Germicidal Bulbs
    #3497021 - 12/14/04 12:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Anybody use these UVC bulbs prior to doing any work? I feel fortunate enough to have a spare room to work in that I can close off. I'm considering getting some of these tubes and running them for a few hours before I go in and work (shutting them off before I go inside of course). I haven't had a contam problem yet, but I like covering all of my bases. I searched but couldn't find any posts about these things. Maybe I didn't look back far enough... Anyway, any info would be cool. Like are they worth it? Where did you get them? How long do you run them? etc etc....

Thanks!

--------------------
------
this is a signature

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: UV Germicidal Bulbs [Re: gsmith]
    #3497055 - 12/14/04 12:23 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

People have posted on it..general concensus was it wasn't worth the price..they are pretty expensive. I'm fairly sure they dont need to be run for long. They will only kill whats on the surface though so its only usfull if the room is empty except for your tools. It would be usefull in a glovebox filled with tools to turn on the light to zap them for a few minutes but is it worth the money to you? Each person is into this hobby a different amount..some people wouldnt pay a few hundred dollars for a peice of equipment but if it saves you enough time.. That something only you know though. Look around online for them. I don't know much about them, just a little info to tide you over from what I remember on the posts. I could be a little off but someone will correct me if so..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
Re: UV Germicidal Bulbs [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3497561 - 12/14/04 01:52 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

They make 36" tubes that fit T8 flouro sockets. Those are the standard bi-pin ones you see in offices and the like. Each 55 watt tube is $33 (cheapest I've found). That's not prohibitively expensive. If the $33 saves me the trouble of losing an entire batch then it's definitely worth it to me. Of course, the problem is how can you really tell if it's having an effect?

--------------------
------
this is a signature

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: UV Germicidal Bulbs [Re: gsmith]
    #3497681 - 12/14/04 02:13 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

The germicidal ones are that cheap? When the other thread was around the people who looked couldnt find them cheaper. If that cheap I might be interested but where? You cant use any blacklight as they dont put out the radiation needed.

Also there was talk of them being dangerous to us as well..not that it still couldnt be used..just a warning to be safe if you do go this route and avoid exposure, especially prolonged..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
Re: UV Germicidal Bulbs [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3502859 - 12/15/04 08:42 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

yeah blacklights are just UVA from what I understand... These are UVC, 254nm. And yes, they will fry your skin and your eyes so exposure should be avoided. I'm rigging a switch up so I can turn it on outside the room.

http://soslightbulbs.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=925

Haven't ever ordered from these folks so I can't speak on their reliability.

--------------------
------
this is a signature

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies