Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleworld_grip
Trinidad Scorpion
 User Gallery

Loc: here
Can the substrate still colonize if too much water leaked out during sterilization?
    #3497536 - 12/14/04 01:48 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Can the substrate still colonize if too much water leaked out during sterilization? Because I believe that it may have. I took of the tin foil hours after the jars cooled and I saw a small puddle of water on the top of the jars. I already inoculated them assuming that if was ok. This is my first time. It's very fun, but I realize that I don't know much yet. So can anyone please tell me if this is normal or not. thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can the substrate still colonize if too much water leaked out during sterilization? [Re: world_grip]
    #3497622 - 12/14/04 02:03 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Could be fine. Just wait and see.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleworld_grip
Trinidad Scorpion
 User Gallery

Re: Can the substrate still colonize if too much water leaked out during sterilization? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3497669 - 12/14/04 02:11 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I guess that's all to do for now huh? Thank you.

Offlinelokiean
Stranger
Re: Can the substrate still colonize if too much water leaked out during sterilization? [Re: world_grip]
    #3497683 - 12/14/04 02:14 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

what substrate? howed you prepare it?
Just cuase theres water on the top of your jars after you took the tinfoil off doesnt mean you lost water from the cake..

Invisibleworld_grip
Trinidad Scorpion
 User Gallery

Re: Can the substrate still colonize if too much water leaked out during sterilization? [Re: lokiean]
    #3497748 - 12/14/04 02:28 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I used brf and verm. I was confused when I saw the water. I was not told to expect that.

--------------------
"I believe that liberty is the only genuinely valuable thing that men have invented, at least in the field of government, in a thousand years. I believe that it is better to be free than to be not free, even when the former is dangerous and the latter safe. I believe that the finest qualities of man can flourish only in free air – that progress made under the shadow of the policeman's club is false progress, and of no permanent value. I believe that any man who takes the liberty of another into his keeping is bound to become a tyrant, and that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." ~ H. L. Mencken

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3497750 - 12/14/04 02:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

world_grip said:
I guess that's all to do for now huh? Thank you.

Pretty much, since you already knocked them up. Like lokiaen said, it might not be from the cakes (even though it appears so). I wouldnt even bother trying to figure out if you have an issue or not since you already knocked them up and you'll know soon enough for sure. Its quite likly they'll be ok because its possible the water didnt come from the cake and quite possible for a cake to lose some water and still colonize and fruit fine, especially with a dunk and roll.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3497754 - 12/14/04 02:31 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It's probably just water that evaporated from the pot itself, prob. didnt even come from your jars, you should be fine, if the substrate looks like dry verm. then it came from your jars and then you should inject some sterile water into it, not muc but a lil, like 4 CC's would be a bit much, ur probably fine tho, gl
O and injectin water will increase the likelyhood of contams if ur not sterile about it, later

Offlinelokiean
Stranger
Re: Can the substrate still colonize if too much water leaked out during sterilization? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3497757 - 12/14/04 02:31 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

BRF is less likely to colonize if its to wett. Only time will tell.

Invisibleworld_grip
Trinidad Scorpion
 User Gallery

Re: Can the substrate still colonize if too much water leaked out during sterilization? [Re: lokiean]
    #3497794 - 12/14/04 02:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you all very much for your responses. This is my first time doing this. I am having a lot of fun, but I am just nervous.
I hope that all goes well. If in a few days it does, I will make another post and I will thank you all. I plan to be on here more often to gain more knowlege. So if you see me on, just say hi.

--------------------
"I believe that liberty is the only genuinely valuable thing that men have invented, at least in the field of government, in a thousand years. I believe that it is better to be free than to be not free, even when the former is dangerous and the latter safe. I believe that the finest qualities of man can flourish only in free air – that progress made under the shadow of the policeman's club is false progress, and of no permanent value. I believe that any man who takes the liberty of another into his keeping is bound to become a tyrant, and that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." ~ H. L. Mencken

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags