Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
Info for giving up pot
    #3495800 - 12/14/04 03:19 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

This page contains some good info for giving up pot.

www.nevdgp.org.au/geninf/std_misc/MarijuanaQuit.html

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Info for giving up pot [Re: enotake2]
    #3497380 - 12/14/04 01:15 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I only want to quit for a little while, but I think I will use this guide.  Thanks.  :thumbup:

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Re: Info for giving up pot [Re: MOTH]
    #3512559 - 12/17/04 07:20 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

No problem.  :smile2:

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

OfflineGus
Back in town.

Loc: Quebec, Canada
    #3512899 - 12/17/04 09:30 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Is it that tough to stop smoking pot ?
I dont think so.

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
    #3513721 - 12/17/04 01:11 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i stopped cold turkey. i thought it would be hard b/c most of my friends are still moderate to heavy users. but once i passed on their offers to get high, it was very easy to quit ( i smoked heavily for 8 years)

now, i still smoke (prolly 6-8 times a year) but have no desire to do it on a daily basis anymore.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
Re: Info for giving up pot [Re: Gus]
    #3514103 - 12/17/04 02:50 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Gus said:
I dont think so.

It is for some.

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Info for giving up pot [Re: Harbinger]
    #3514839 - 12/17/04 06:38 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I've been procrastinating myself... I will bookmark this guide for later use. :shake:

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Info for giving up pot [Re: Gus]
    #3519225 - 12/19/04 12:19 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Gus said:
I dont think so.

It isn't hard at all. I smoked 3-6 times a day for six years, but about a year ago I quit smoking. I didn't gradually quit I just stopped. I had a little trouble sleeping for like 3 days but that was it and I haven't smoked for over a year. I don't understand how people have so much trouble quitting.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineSaribo
journeyman
Re: Info for giving up pot [Re: z@z.com]
    #3522906 - 12/20/04 12:18 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I've always been able to stop when I needed to. The biggest problem for me is that I have to get back in touch with aggressive, frustrated feelings that are kind of subdued when I smoke daily...

However I do know some people that are very dependent... They need it to get through the day, and to keep anxiety problems at bay. A roommate of mine got visibly scared when a few of us were having a serious talk about quitting... Kind of sad really, but there are dependent people out there.

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: Info for giving up pot [Re: Saribo]
    #3523144 - 12/20/04 01:10 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

:thumbdown:

If you want to quit pot fine.  If you feel you need help to quit fine.  But that doesn't mean buying into the bullshit reefer madness propoganda.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Info for giving up pot [Re: tomk]
    #3523443 - 12/20/04 05:49 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

> I don't understand how people have so much trouble quitting.

My guess is that deep down, they don't really want to quit.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Re: Info for giving up pot [Re: Seuss]
    #3523805 - 12/20/04 09:55 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

its a matter of willpower. it took me so long to quit because 95% of my friends still smoke and my old roommate was slinging it on the side so he always had great pot around. it would be passed my way and i couldnt say no sometimes.

i felt withdrawl symptoms and cravings for about 4-5 days, after that turning it down was easy.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#3523825 - 12/20/04 10:08 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I think to some people its an actual medecine and its hard to cope with certain problems with out it. I dont feel its a reefer madness issue but more of an issue within them selfs. I figure if this person wasnt selfmedicating with weed he/she would be on perscriptions of eather valium or zanax.

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Re: Info for giving up pot [Re: Saribo]
    #3530618 - 12/22/04 06:07 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Agression and frustration are symptoms of withdrawal. Though they only last about a week. You have to give yourself a bit of time to get through it. People I have talked to say that after they get through the withdrawal, they feel less edgy off it than on it. Anxiety and racing thoughts are also withdrawal symptoms, though they last a bit longer.

--------------------

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Info for giving up pot [Re: Seuss]
    #3530643 - 12/22/04 06:19 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> I don't understand how people have so much trouble quitting.

My guess is that deep down, they don't really want to quit.

it's true.  If you have any willpower at all, you will succeed.
I didn't follow any guide to stop smoking; get this: I just stopped smoking it!  :shocked:

--------------------

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Re: Info for giving up pot [Re: blink]
    #3531626 - 12/22/04 12:10 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

"Let us look at the mutation of another gene the FAAH 385. This gene helps produce an enzyme called fatty acid amide hydrolase (FAAH). This enzyme is responsible for neutralizing cannabinoids that naturally occur in the body. These naturally occurring body chemicals are the same as the psychoactive component of marijuana. So the body can produce it's own marijuana and destroy it. All without the intervention of drug dealers and the police. Roger Pertwee, professor of neuropharmacology at Aberdeen University says that if you have a mutated copy of the gene you may need more cannibinoids than the body produces to feel normal. He says that this may be one of the reasons that cannabis use is so popular among ten to twenty percent of the population."

"Let us see if we can account for the other half. A study by the Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry in Munich reported here and here shows that one of the functions of the cannibinoid system in the body is to help deal with painful memorizes. Now from an evolutionary stand point remembering painful memories can be very helpful if that memory keeps you out of further danger. It is also true though that remembering them for too long can paralyze the ability to act even when necessary. So it is good to remember the pain but generally it is also good, if the pain is not repeated, to gradually forget the memories so a person an "get over it" and get on with life. For some people without the cannibinoid receptor (in the study mice were used) or with out enough cannibinoid production or possibly a system that destroys the cannibinoids prematurely pain memories can be a problem."

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/2004/12/genetic-discrimination.html

It isn't a fucking willpower issue.

We should not propogate the myth that those who use pot to deal with either genetic or psychological problems and have trouble quitting are merely weak willed. Further, those who use for these reasons and quit will not be better off. Further, psychopharms will not help these people. Further, therapy will not help some of these people.

If you had an easy time quitting, you can probably deduce you don't have the problems in the article. If you have a hard time quitting maybe that means you shouldn't.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3532378 - 12/22/04 03:37 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

As an alternative to smoking mj (assuming you have a dreadful itch to light up) you could try rolling a doobie of CATNIP mixed with a little DAMIANA. Only take about a few puffs though and only do it every few days. You will experience a little something but the goal is to stop smoking everything.

A lifestyle change is almost always required to stop smoking marijuana. You'll generally have far more energy and you'll have to find things to do with that energy. Things that are healthy and bring you happiness.

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

#3534322 - 12/23/04 12:12 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

tomk said:
"Let us look at the mutation of another gene the FAAH 385. This gene helps produce an enzyme called fatty acid amide hydrolase (FAAH). This enzyme is responsible for neutralizing cannabinoids that naturally occur in the body. These naturally occurring body chemicals are the same as the psychoactive component of marijuana. So the body can produce it's own marijuana and destroy it. All without the intervention of drug dealers and the police. Roger Pertwee, professor of neuropharmacology at Aberdeen University says that if you have a mutated copy of the gene you may need more cannibinoids than the body produces to feel normal. He says that this may be one of the reasons that cannabis use is so popular among ten to twenty percent of the population."

"Let us see if we can account for the other half. A study by the Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry in Munich reported here and here shows that one of the functions of the cannibinoid system in the body is to help deal with painful memorizes. Now from an evolutionary stand point remembering painful memories can be very helpful if that memory keeps you out of further danger. It is also true though that remembering them for too long can paralyze the ability to act even when necessary. So it is good to remember the pain but generally it is also good, if the pain is not repeated, to gradually forget the memories so a person an "get over it" and get on with life. For some people without the cannibinoid receptor (in the study mice were used) or with out enough cannibinoid production or possibly a system that destroys the cannibinoids prematurely pain memories can be a problem."

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/2004/12/genetic-discrimination.html

It isn't a fucking willpower issue.

We should not propogate the myth that those who use pot to deal with either genetic or psychological problems and have trouble quitting are merely weak willed. Further, those who use for these reasons and quit will not be better off. Further, psychopharms will not help these people. Further, therapy will not help some of these people.

If you had an easy time quitting, you can probably deduce you don't have the problems in the article. If you have a hard time quitting maybe that means you shouldn't.

I don't know about that research, but I do know that there are a lot of effective psychological ways to deal with painful memories.

Also, I am not sure if you can deduce that if you have a hard time quitting you have that mutated gene. It is more generally accepted now days that there is a physical addiction to marijuanna because people develop tolerance and have withdrawal symptoms when they come off it. Also addiction is a complex mix of social, psychological and biological factors and all these may make it difficult for someone to come off it.

--------------------

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

#3535175 - 12/23/04 08:34 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

"I don't know about that research, but I do know that there are a lot of effective psychological ways to deal with painful memories.

Also, I am not sure if you can deduce that if you have a hard time quitting you have that mutated gene. It is more generally accepted now days that there is a physical addiction to marijuanna because people develop tolerance and have withdrawal symptoms when they come off it."

1.) That isn't falsifable. You aren't going to be able to tell between coming off pot and having withdrawl, and coming off pot and feeling like shit because you have a screwy endocannibinoid system that eats up to much endocannibinoid giving you reduced levels. You could design an experiment where you tested to see who had the screwy levels of endocannibinoids, and then try to get them vs a test group hooked, but that wouldn't be ethical.

2.) It's only generally accepted that pot causes a physical addiction because the DEA and NIDA won't let people study it and try and release misinformation. You can't go from "It's generally accepted that there is physical addiction" to "There is physical addiction." It's generally accepted, and not true, that pot causes men to grow breasts, that most potheads become herion addicts, etc. That so many people have such an easy time quitting suggests it is not physically addicting. That a small subset does have trouble quitting suggests that there is something different about that subset, and it could be natural differences in the endocannibinoid system. These people are perhaps not served by quitting, DARE propoganda about physical addiction aside.

3.) Traditional methods for dealing with painful memories are not going to work if the system in your brain that deals with them is fucked up and underperforming.

4.) There is a freedom of choice issue buried here. If I want to use pot instead of therapy (which may be of reduced effectiveness for me) to deal with memories of pain, I should be able too, propaganda based 'consensus' about addiction notwithstanding.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

#3536368 - 12/23/04 03:16 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hey,

You said "If you had an easy time quitting, you can probably deduce you don't have the problems in the article. If you have a hard time quitting maybe that means you shouldn't. "

I said "I am not sure if you can deduce that if you have a hard time quitting you have that mutated gene."

Then you said "That isn't falsifable. You aren't going to be able to tell between coming off pot and having withdrawl, and coming off pot and feeling like shit because you have a screwy endocannibinoid system that eats up to much endocannibinoid giving you reduced levels."

It sounds like you are arguing my point here.

"You could design an experiment where you tested to see who had the screwy levels of endocannibinoids, and then try to get them vs a test group hooked, but that wouldn't be ethical."

No it wouldn't, though you could use people who are already addicted and have a look at endocannibinoids. That would be an interesting experiment.

"2.) It's only generally accepted that pot causes a physical addiction because the DEA and NIDA won't let people study it and try and release misinformation. You can't go from "It's generally accepted that there is physical addiction" to "There is physical addiction." It's generally accepted, and not true, that pot causes men to grow breasts, that most potheads become herion addicts, etc. That so many people have such an easy time quitting suggests it is not physically addicting. That a small subset does have trouble quitting suggests that there is something different about that subset, and it could be natural differences in the endocannibinoid system. These people are perhaps not served by quitting, DARE propoganda about physical addiction aside."

I do research and counselling at a drug and alchol centre. People have studied it empirically and I meant it's generally accepted in the research literature these days. It is true that some people have more trouble quitting than others and it may be partly because of physical factors, but the psychological component of addiction plays a big role and it depends on what else is going on in the person's life as well. For example, if the person's partner is using and all their friends, that person is going to have much more trouble quitting than someone who doesn't have it in their house or know many people who use.

"3.) Traditional methods for dealing with painful memories are not going to work if the system in your brain that deals with them is fucked up and underperforming."

Not true! If that research you site is correct, they might have a slight disadvantage. But for my 10 years of study at university (including an MA specialising in drug and alcohol) and my experience working with people giving up pot, I can say psychological mechanisms work fine.

"4.) There is a freedom of choice issue buried here. If I want to use pot instead of therapy (which may be of reduced effectiveness for me) to deal with memories of pain, I should be able too, propaganda based 'consensus' about addiction notwithstanding."

Agreed.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies