Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshanti
dude
 User Gallery

Lion's Mane Question
    #3493805 - 12/13/04 07:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I've seen a great patch of Lions Mane (Hericium erinaceus) around the corner from me and I'm wondering if I should pick it and eat it.  I heard they're tasty shrooms and I guess they medicinal qualities too.

It is near a EPA regulated toxic (asbestos) site.:thumbdown:  (near, not in)And it seems fairly old.  (its once white outer layer is now orange):thumbdown:

What do you think, should or can I still eat it.:confused:  what do you think.  I'll try to get a pic up soon.    :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Lion's Mane Question [Re: shanti]
    #3496429 - 12/14/04 09:31 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It sounds like it is too far past too eat. Maybe try getting a clone or just waiting til next fruiting season. I wouldn't worry about the asbestos factory. The main problem with asbestos was workers constantly inhaling it and it eventually caused mesothelioma. There really isn't a problem living around asbestos. My first childhood home had asbestos that we eventually had removed. We lived in there fine but the workers dressed up in enviro-suits.

Offlineshanti
dude
 User Gallery

Re: Lion's Mane Question [Re: YidakiMan]
    #3496615 - 12/14/04 10:40 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

how would I get a clone? What about cutting the orange parts off and eating the insides where its white?

Im not too worried about the asbestos now. Builders are "developing" (I hate that term) the area despite the wildlife, including a red tail hawk, which has made the land its home. anyhoo thanks for the advice.

Offlinefirstmatefluff
Stranger (thanmost)
Loc: Wisconsin
Re: Lion's Mane Question [Re: shanti]
    #3497744 - 12/14/04 02:28 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

eating bad or passed mushrooms is a good way to spend a night puking, if that's what you're after....sorry you missed it, but its going bad because crap is eating it right now--it isn't like you'd eat a piece of steak you'd found out in the woods, or an apple that was "orange and slimy, but I cut the junk off and ate it", or if you did, I doubt you'd be surprised that you got sick--this is at this point just food, like anything else, and past its prime by what sounds to be quite a bit. I'd just make a note to watch the tree in the future and not take the risk, myself........as far as cloning, you can split the thing and try to, but that also is harder w/ old dying specimens. I should be getting a culture of hericium eventually, when I do I can send you a wedge if you like.

Mark

Offlineshanti
dude
 User Gallery

Re: Lion's Mane Question [Re: firstmatefluff]
    #3510779 - 12/16/04 08:02 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

perhaps I will take you up on that, but not now. bless you for your kindness.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag