Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineXherrus
Stranger

How to clean totally infected & fucked up terraria
    #3495095 - 12/14/04 01:29 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Ok, here's the deal. I have been wanting to get rid of my many mushroom cakes & my three casings.

I went away for a month with no-one to look after my mushrooms. I came home on Monday to find, to my intense horror :shocked:, that each of my three terraria were fucked. The two casings in separate terraria had grown shrooms that had gone WAY over-mature, had started to rot, and were growing what appeared to be the beginning of cobweb mold. Not so bad? That's just the start of it.

I checked my big terrarium (which contains about 12 cakes and a casing) and I saw a few cakes and a patch of casing infected with green mold. I believe it has a reputation for being extremely toxic, and I don't wanna die whilst clearing these motherfuckers out. Other shrooms were growing white moldy shit which, if I've read my contamination guide correctly, is how green mold starts to rear its ugly head.

1. I am armed with hydrogen peroxide and bleach.
2. I want to get rid of the three white-mold-infected casings in their three separate terraria.
3. I want to throw out the horrific green-molded cakes without dying (and all the other cakes too, of course).
4. I want to totally sterilise the area, which happens to be my bedroom.

Show me the way, ye wise ones. Instruct me.

- X

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemadsickpenguin
Re: How to clean totally infected & fucked up terraria [Re: Xherrus]
    #3495395 - 12/14/04 02:39 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

2) to get rid of the cakes, just pick them up with hands and throw them out. If you are really worried use a fork to pick it up with or a paper towel. Then clean your hands thoroughly (or the fork, dishwasher should do)

3)to totally sterilize the area, you're gonna have to remove all of your cakes and casings; and then whatever humidity retention material (perlite/geolite) will also be removed. Afoaf would use a bucket with soap (dawn/joy/dish soap/whatever) and water to clean it out, followed by wiping with bleach/water (1:10) mix. However, if you want to leave all your cakes and whatnot where they are, Afoaf would suggest putting a higher cocentration of peroxide in your water (maybe 50:50) and sprayin the hell outta your terrarium. That's the best I can think of.

Edited by madsickpenguin (01/23/05 07:29 PM)

InvisibleLuvWallyWorld
Slack-jawedgawker

Loc: Midwest
    #3495476 - 12/14/04 03:09 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'm a big fan of bleach and dish gloves. Really, bleach will kill anything. Bleach is cheaper and kills more viruses, fungi and bacteria than even "antibacterial" detergents. Plus it leaves a nice "summertime at the pool" scent.

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3496467 - 12/14/04 11:50 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Soak in some bleach water for a couple of hours , then rinse really good .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How to clean totally infected & fucked up terraria [Re: tripndicular]
    #3497119 - 12/14/04 02:35 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Molds wont make you to sick..but the spores can...wear a paint mask or something covering your nose and mouth and don't let the molds make you sick!. Wear gloves..clean alot..use lots of well diluted bleach (be carful for these fumes though..do not use to much in your dilution and make sure the area is well ventilated. Open your windows and let the cold air in..cold temps will help during the cleaning process as well. Use alcohol more then H202, it will do more.

Throw all contamed shit into trash bags double bagged and toss..preferably outside..then clean all tubs, containers whatever well. Give anything that can run through the diskwasher a run through it once its clean as well if you have one. You could pick up some air sanaitizer like Oust or Lysol as well.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineXherrus
Stranger

Re: How to clean totally infected & fucked up terraria [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3497663 - 12/14/04 04:10 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks guys, I am getting there.

I sprayed alcohol and peroxide everywhere, got rid of all the cakes and sprayed everything down with alcohol. I used a clean rag to breathe through & wore gloves. The window is open and it's cold inside now.

I am left with three casings and a lot of perlite to throw out but I need big garbage bags for that, which I'll get today. One question, should I make sure to spray something into the air if I'm going to be in my bedroom during the day, or will having a window open for ventilation make it sufficiently safe to be inside (smoking bongs and popping Klonopin :smirk: )

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3497739 - 12/14/04 04:27 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Open window should be sufficent but if you have Oust! or air Lysol, I'd use it once 20 minutes prior before going in..lots of it..then you should be ok. A HEPA running in there would work much better but I'm guessing if you had one it would have been mentioned?

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineXherrus
Stranger

Merry Christmas [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3528847 - 12/21/04 08:25 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, I didn't have a HEPA, only a portable air conditioner, and I couldn't be fucked spending A$10 at the pharmacy to get Lysol... so maybe I'll die of toxic braindeath from wack green mold shit.

Anyway, I wanted to say thanks to all contributorz now that I'm done -- scatmanrav in particular, thanks bro.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation