Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Things that blow your mind.
    #3494353 - 12/13/04 09:01 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

For me, nature documentaries do it. The really good ones.

One of my favourites is the PBS series called "Evolution".
There's another PBS one that I saw a few episodes of a few years ago, and I can't remember what it's called, but it's amazing. Went through some of the details of how the first animals evolved.

There's one that I've just started downloading a few parts of from the BBC called "Life on Earth". It talks in detail about how the first cells were likely formed from simpler organisms, and is absolutely wild to watch. It's a bit older, so some of the info might be dated, but it's still amazing.

These films are able to take an abstract idea like the process of evolution and bring it to life, showing the little details about what we know and how it works.

Sometimes I watch these things with my heart racing and my mouth hanging open in astonishment.

What blows your mind?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Things that blow your mind. [Re: Phluck]
    #3494374 - 12/13/04 09:05 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quantum physics and atoms. It blows my mind that I am made up of these things, that something inside of me follows rules that I cannot even begin to conceive. Everything around me is incomprehensibly small, but billions of them unite until I can see them. And they are made up of even smaller, more eccentric things that we haven't even named yet

That, and universes outside of our own, overlapping and having particles move between the veil of one universe to the next. Insanity

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

#3494417 - 12/13/04 09:12 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Flowers.

Seriously, they're just unbelievable when you look at them from a certain perspective. Such beautiful, elaborate structures for reproduction.

--------------------
Put that monkey back in the oven.

Invisibleadrug

#3494485 - 12/13/04 09:25 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Many things. One thing in particular sticks out right now...we were driving back from our campsite in mountains in Arizona, and pulled over to get some air for a minute and consult with our caravan...and I saw the most awesome landscape I had ever laid eyes on. It was like god came down from the heavens  and handed me a gift wrapped in blue, purple, red, and blue. I was completely awestruck at that moment and I had to take a few photos, although they don't do it justice whatsoever.

I also have these moments quite often when I look at my daughter and see how much she has grown. I can see the potential that lies inside her and it fills me with an indescribable joy. :heart:

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Things that blow your mind. [Re: adrug]
    #3494525 - 12/13/04 09:33 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Infinity. Impermenance. Just today I was thinking of how all fads and styles become dated and old and realized that there will NEVER be a fad or style that isn't already dated. Time goes on forever, so there can never be a reference point that we can look back from and judge other eras with any authority. All futures are pasts and it goes on forever.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

OfflineAreoZephin
Stranger

Loc: New Earth
Re: Things that blow your mind. [Re: adrug]
    #3494538 - 12/13/04 09:35 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I think evolution exists now, rather than before. Mainly because of the obstacles that were there to keep it from happening the way it said it did, the pure evolution perspective.

As if. Rock hits rock, forms into a hard mass and becomes round eventually. There's no oxygen so that would destroy and means of life. What I don't understand is if all living things need oxygen, then how did something living reach our planet if there's no oxygen in space? Wouldn't either a planet WITH oxygen have to touch our planet, or something be put here? If that's not the case, then does a piece of mineral turn into a organism over time? That's what makes my mind boggle.

I think evolution exists now.

(And there's a meteor shower tonight, it's 10:44pm my time CST)

--------------------
The Pharisees and the scholars have taken the keys of knowledge and have hidden them. They have not entered nor have they allowed those who want to enter to do so.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Things that blow your mind. [Re: AreoZephin]
    #3494685 - 12/13/04 10:02 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Entropy! Knowing matter is constantly being broken apart is a beautiful thing. Energy is throwing itself into every nook and cranny, tearing apart atoms and then moving along... soon there will be nothing to break apart and the universe will grow silent.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Offlineoceansize
fuckin' right.

#3494687 - 12/13/04 10:02 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Carl Sagan, Ernest Hemmingway, Fredrich Nietzsche.

Bonsai, Fungi, my new Amorphophallus Titanum (google for that- I can't believe I came across one)

--------------------
"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." - Friedrich Nietzsche

OfflineDeepDish
Stranger
    #3494690 - 12/13/04 10:03 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

All living things do not require oxygen, there are bacteria that can live through anaerobic respiration. When the earth was formed there was small amounts of oxygen in the air, although the atmosphere was primarily a reducing one. The levels of oxygen that are present today occured due to 100's of millions of years worth of photosynthesis, coverting the atmosphere to an oxidizing one. Minerals do no spontaneously form organisms, there are actually several theories on the origin of life. If you are interested I would suggest reading up the stanley-miller experiment.

Offlineoceansize
fuckin' right.

#3494710 - 12/13/04 10:07 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Do some research on this, evolution I mean. People have already asked most of the questions you or I can come up with. There are satisfactory answers for you questions.

For example, the life on earth now that is probably most like the early lifeforms on earth don't need oxygen - the Archea kingdom.

--------------------
"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." - Friedrich Nietzsche

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3494754 - 12/13/04 10:16 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thinking about humanity really gets my mind whirling. It's amazing how we can all be so unique yet so alike at the same time.

It's like we're all little universes walking around.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3494819 - 12/13/04 10:27 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quantum physics, string theory, superstring theory, relativity, the capacity of the human mind, the vastness of the universe, the intellectual level of other Shroomerites, Existentialism, consciousness, fractals, the power of psychedelics, and existence itself.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3495104 - 12/13/04 11:32 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

nature ans space fo rme. i can sits for hours on end just zonign out thinking about space. i love it. nature to but to a lesser extent.

where do you get these videos from? kazaa has nothing usefull in the video section...

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #3495217 - 12/13/04 11:56 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

eternity, infinity in the universe, origins of the universe, the fact that scientists have made so much progress in EVERY aspect in technology (just a few thousand years ago rocks and blades would have been sold at circuit city :smile:)

the fact that all that ever was human and earth dwelling will one day be erased from all records and that all of our remains will be burned to non-existence when the sun explodes, if our remains even last that long.

the fact that there are so many people in the world that i could be wonderful friends with that i'll never meet.  the fact that my future love is out there somewhere and may be thinking about her future love.

moving from non existence to existence...ie birth.  what the hell was before?  what the hell is after?

good post, i hope some more interesting things come out.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Edited by TODAY (12/13/04 11:57 PM)

OfflineAreoZephin
Stranger

Re: Things that blow your mind. [Re: TODAY]
    #3495297 - 12/14/04 12:09 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I do believe evolution is real. I still try to figure out though if what it meant was "God spoke things into existence" meant just speaking the laws of this reality into existence, therefor man had enough intellect when they wrote the Bible from somehow setting aside their physical mind and becoming one with God's essence in means of prayer (Meditation just closing the physical mind and focusing on one thing, that of God). I mean we've proved evolution is true. And the only way for men to comprehend the making of existence was to say that God spoke it, when really he spoke this reality. Of course what I don't understand is if he spoke it, then why not speak everything into existence? Evolution is real, yeah no doubt. I've tried setting religion aside from evolution and focus on evolution but there's still a remnant of where the first physical piece came from, or light, anything. Religion seems to feel in that gap, yet both of them seem to go into circles filling in one thing for another.

Wouldn't you agree though, that before the sun blew out we'd be able to colonize another planet within say 70 years or less? At the rate technology is progressing faster each year I wouldn't be surprised. Even if it's 200 years, what was it, the sun's life expectancy was 10 billion before it blows up and pops as if a light bulb? Going into a super nova, as all stars seem to do, it still would engulf our solar system.

I'm getting off topic, but I find this interesting also. If there was another reality in which our souls went into a dimension between a heaven and a hell life figure, say, paradise where all remain until a final marking which man supposedly will create. Every body being that, it has a signature for a soul which the spirit is adapted to. Given the purpose of separating the soul from the mind and becoming one with itself then one with everything around it's surroundings of energy, thus maybe.. the one with all feeling. If man created some sort of, artificial soul signature with a clone, (Given that's beyond really thinkable) maybe that could give a true means to re-incarnation by proving it with science?

--------------------
The Pharisees and the scholars have taken the keys of knowledge and have hidden them. They have not entered nor have they allowed those who want to enter to do so.

Edited by AreoZephin (12/14/04 12:11 AM)

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3495319 - 12/14/04 12:15 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I have an old National Geographic that had many of the Hubble images. The Deep Field image always blows my mind...

The caption in the National Geographic I have says something to the effect of "if one were to hold a grain of sand up towards the sky, this is what would be in that small, limited direction" and "each little dot in the background are more further galaxies."

OfflineAreoZephin
Stranger

Re: Things that blow your mind. [Re: Vvellum]
    #3495364 - 12/14/04 12:27 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

The only way to see all that was for the telescope to get outside of our galaxy right? Man that picture blows my mind more than anything really.

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3495369 - 12/14/04 12:29 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

the hubble telescope is just outside the Earth
~~~> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Space_Telescope

check it out - there's many more images
that'll blow your mind.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #3495531 - 12/14/04 01:25 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

being alive blows my mind

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Things that blow your mind. [Re: Zero7a1]
    #3495620 - 12/14/04 01:55 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

you know
when I encounter cool shit
I try to tell myself that it is not a matter of being surprised or in wonder but a matter of being reminded of the greatness of the universe.

I always thought it was kinda funny
that we forget how fucking incredible life and the universe is.
The universe is beyond comprehension
billions upon billion of galaxies made up of incredibly small particles that leap out of nothing in waves.
yet I tie my shoes.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order