Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefruers
Loc: nsw, australia
[Sth East Aus]: Low rainfall effect on shroom season?
    #3493332 - 12/13/04 08:29 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I'm from east coast of nsw and do my mushroom hunting south of wollongong. I have been out a few times this season, after the heavy rain we've been having and my trusty mushroom grounds seem to be in trouble, what i am finding surprising is that i have not found a single bit of fungus growing, let alone a magic mushroom! Normally these fields produce copious amounts of cope. cyan. along with heaps of other random fungus, so it's distressing to have not found one mushroom.

In much of Aus. we've been experiencing a prolonged period of low rainfall so i wonder if this might be affecting the season. The fields are close to the sea so they have been getting some rain but below what they would usually get.
To describe the immediate conditions there has been a few rain periods starting a month ago (i envisage between then and now the incubation period) we had a downpour last thursday which produced nothing on Friday morning, then it rained the last 3 days with a heavy downpour yesterday afternoon and clear overnight, about 20 deg. cel. and nothing has shown up this morning, once again not even a toad!
I have investigated some of the cow patties and found that even with all the rain they are very dry, with only the smallest bit of mycelial growth (which could be from any fungus).
So my first question would be, is there anyone from this region and are they having any luck hunting at the moment?
My second question which would be more general, does anyone have any input on the cause or outcome of this? With consistent rain will the fields bounce back as the season goes on?

I've seen some posts from this season of people from northern nsw, south queensland who have had success collecting so it must be ok up there, anyone care to invite me up for a day of hunting?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegreenpastures
Stranger

Re: [Sth East Aus]: Low rainfall effect on shroom season? [Re: fruers]
    #3493736 - 12/13/04 09:32 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

ya know...past 5 days or so? maybe less...all gone here in so tex. i think its the weather. the copes are all gone. i found one kinda sickly dry thing. its gone down to below 60 many times, been dry. not the usual texas humidity...i feel for you...i HAVE seen a field disapear for no apprent reason under the best conditions. if the temp is right over yonder...go out and water the pies. its laborous, but during the hot dry periods, i did that! it cant hurt. cept for perhaps your back. i took a ten gallon bucket and walked back and forth and back...and forth...made sure those pies were nice and moist. i say if all else fails, just water those mysteriously dry pies. if its possible.

let me just finnish with something completely off your topic by saying that i hate cold fronts that come without rain. not too fond of this whole winter thing either. try watering the pies. =D

--------------------
Do as i say. Do as i do.
Good. Now instead of eating a mushroom that is not yours. Eat the ones in the super market. Thanks. -droz
"German's love white rice."-droz

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification