Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Chilean judge charges Pinochet
    #3493084 - 12/13/04 07:57 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Chile's former President Augusto Pinochet has been charged with murder and kidnapping.
But a court lifted an order putting him under house arrest pending an appeal.

The former military ruler was indicted over the disappearance of nine opposition activists and the killing of one of them during his 17-year regime.

Judge Juan Guzman also ruled that the general was mentally fit to stand trial for the abuses committed between 1973 and 1990.

Judge Guzman said he made his decision after studying an interview that Gen Pinochet gave to a Miami TV channel in November 2003.

He said that the interview, in which the general gave apparently lucid answers to questions, was "one of the elements taken into consideration" in his ruling.

'Historic' decision

Monday's ruling was welcomed by human rights groups in Chile.

Viviana Diaz, president of the Association of Relatives of Disappeared Persons, told the Associated Press news agency that it was "a historic decision that must be celebrated by all democrats".

She added: "This is great news for all those Chileans who do not accept impunity in the violations of human rights."

But the general remained free after his lawyers appealed against the charges and against the house arrest order.

"This is no more than a new episode of the most relentless persecution this country has ever seen against one person," said Pablo Rodriguez, one of his attorneys.

The general was indicted on charges in connection with Operation Condor - a conspiracy by six South American regimes in the 1970s to hunt down and kill their left-wing opponents.

It is not the only case outstanding against him.

Earlier this month, a court ruled that he could face charges over the murder of his predecessor as army chief, Gen Carlos Prats, who died in a car bomb attack in Buenos Aires in 1974.

Gen Pinochet, 89, also faces tax fraud charges and a money-laundering investigation.

An inquiry concluded that more than 3,000 people were killed for political reasons during Gen Pinochet's rule, while more than 30,000 Chileans have testified that they were tortured or detained by the military government.

Health arguments

Judge Guzman has tried to bring the general to trial for human rights abuses before.

In December 2000, the judge formally charged Gen Pinochet with kidnapping in connection with the Caravan of Death case, accusing him of responsibility for the deaths of more than 70 political prisoners.

The following year an appeal court found that he was too unwell to be tried.

But Judge Guzman says that Gen Pinochet is mentally fit to stand trial, despite medical examinations by doctors that led to conflicting conclusions.

A court-appointed doctor diagnosed him with "moderate dementia", while a doctor acting for Gen Pinochet's defence said his tests showed the former president's health had deteriorated recently and he ought to be spared a trial.

However, a doctor acting for the relatives of victims of Operation Condor said Gen Pinochet was mentally fit enough to face trial.

Judge Guzman also questioned Gen Pinochet about the Operation Condor allegations in September.

The general denied all knowledge of the operation, saying that it was probably run by "mid-level officials".

Hopefully history will finally officially record the horrors that this man unleased upon the Chilean people!

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Chilean judge charges Pinochet [Re: Krishna]
    #3493635 - 12/13/04 09:16 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Its already been officially recorded. We'll see how many buddies he has left in the country...

How did this fucker remain in the country? I figured the families of the "dirty war" victims (this article doesn't say half of it. Most victims dissappeared without a trace) would have chased his ass out of the country long ago.

Notice how the media doesn't touch this story? Its a nice sensationalist story about one of the most brutal dictators in the past 50 years and not a peep of it in the media. Doesn't make sense...

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Chilean judge charges Pinochet [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #3493801 - 12/13/04 09:41 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

the u.s. has done some good in this world, but has fucked up alot. its like we start a project and then go off to another one when something more important comes up. we supported this guy and then went away, like with bin laden.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Chilean judge charges Pinochet [Re: lonestar2004]
    #3493899 - 12/13/04 09:51 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

^^

So you think the lack of media attention is because of the US imposing Pinochet on the Chile in the past would open old wounds? I didn't think of that. I figured it was the lack of quality new media. Scott Peterson trial....Iraq...Iraq...Iraq...Xmas season, everybody better go shop, shop, shop!.....GW appoints new cabinet member....and now to a 10 minute story about puppies in boxes!!!

I hate the newsmedia....

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #3493966 - 12/13/04 10:00 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

as to Pinochet remaining in Chile - if my memory doesn't serve me wrong, he was in Spain and in England for most of the 1990s. One of the two (I believe England, but i'll have to get back to you...) refused to extradite him to Chile for some time because he was bed-ridden in a hospital, and the claim (perhaps rightly so, i dunno) was that he wouldn't survive the airplane trip. I think it is a more recent occurence (and perhaps one representative of his arrogance) that he returned to Chile.

As to the lack of attention this has had in the US media - i think both of you are quite head-on in your thoughts. also, it's a sad but true fact that many Americans don't even know who Pinochet is... in our "bloom blam blom!" news-media, i don't think that many programs would be willing to go in-depth enough to explain the background of the case sufficiently...

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #3493993 - 12/13/04 10:05 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

maybe, but i am so sick of the Peterson trail. next trail Michael Jackson.....more shit but someone must like it. besides alot of Americans could not find Chile on a map.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #3494040 - 12/13/04 10:13 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

It's about time that dude got what was comming to him.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #3494229 - 12/13/04 10:41 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

you have to understand....there were NO good intentions
in our backing of pinochet.

it wasn't something we could have done better.

it was something we shouldn't have done at all.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

Re: Chilean judge charges Pinochet [Re: afoaf]
    #3499112 - 12/14/04 08:05 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I saw an article in two newspapers about it. It wasn't all over the news because most newspaper reporters have some kind of sanity.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #3504116 - 12/15/04 05:01 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DirtMcgirt said:
Notice how the media doesn't touch this story? Its a nice sensationalist story about one of the most brutal dictators in the past 50 years and not a peep of it in the media. Doesn't make sense...

What are you talking about? It's been in a NY Times news article, editorial and opinion piece, all in the last two days. You don't make sense. And not to defend Pinochet or indulge in brutality relativism but I think he is probably rather a lightweight compared to some other beauties we've seen in the last 50 yrs like Castro, Pol Pot, Deng Zao Ping and Mao Tse Tung, Saddam Hussein, Tito, Milosovic, Ceaucescu(sp?), etc

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion